Reinventing myself after a long absence from the workplace.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Restless in Doylestown in Bensalem, Pennsylvania

36 months ago

Hi, I am going through a divorce and re-entering the workforce after raising my step-children and supporting my husband as he built his business. My resume has a 10 year gap of steady employment. I have a strong sales background, I'm confident and have a good work ethic. The problem is... I'm having a difficult time getting an interview, actually, non-existant. I've always been a good employee and am very eager to work again. I know that I can sell myself, if I could get an interview, but I can't seem to get any calls back. I have no college education and have always relied on my personality and proven sales record. Hate to take an entry level position, but if I have to... I will humble myself. Any other suggestions on getting my foot in the door, would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Marietta, Georgia

30 months ago

Hello, in regards to your situation most employers are looking for at least 10 years history of employment. Any volunteer work can also help towards employment time. Depending on the job, some companies are requiring college education to include BA and/or MA degree and at least 3 to 5 years experience in the profession. In todays economy, the entry level jobs that are advertised are requiring 6 months to one year of work experience. Then there are the budget cuts. Most jobs do not hire because they have a hiring freeze or they use 1 person to do double the work and say that it falls under "other duties as assigned". Continue to search for work in Sales since that is your background experience. You may have to search outside the area where you live to get your foot in the door. Remember to never give up and keep your faith even though at times it may seem impossible. Good luck to you!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Not too old in Windsor Locks, Connecticut

27 months ago

Restless in Doylestown in Bensalem, Pennsylvania said: Hi, I am going through a divorce and re-entering the workforce after raising my step- children and supporting my husband as he built his business . My resume has a 10 year gap of steady employment. I have a strong sales background, I'm confident and have a good work ethic. The problem is... I'm having a difficult time getting an interview, actually, non-existant. I've always been a good employee and am very eager to work again. I know that I can sell myself, if I could get an interview, but I can't seem to get any calls back. I have no college education and have always relied on my personality and proven sales record. Hate to take an entry level position, but if I have to... I will humble myself. Any other suggestions on getting my foot in the door, would be greatly appreciated.

Didnt mention your age...am wondering if that is a problem? I am in your situation as well and despartely need employment and find myself not being hired even though I have the degrees (and experience enough) to do so. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.