Getting Fired From A Grocery Store

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Stacy!! in Anchorage, Alaska

58 months ago

So, I got sick yesterday and was cashiering when I had a long line of folks wanting to check out @ the grocery store. So, I quickly reached behind me grabbed a couple of swigs of juice before I puked everywhere.

Well it was coming out anyway - so I asked the boss to check for me, since I was the checker in the deli @ the time. When I came back to my register he asked for my receipt and I asked him if I should go pay for it now, as I was just in the bathroom getting sick. He said "just hold off!" Then brought me back to this office and said "no tolerance".

To which I always have my receipts. Well I slipped this one time because of being sick and now I am not sure what they will tell the next prospective employer.

I guess to sum up all of the above - what can they legally say to the next prospective employer...if anything regarding that incident? I am @ a loss because I was really trying to be do the right thing and I got caught red-handed because of being sick. I understand policy but it was a $1.79 drink and I had $$ in my pocket.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

P.S.
How should I explain this reason for leaving to my next prospective employer? Thanks for any helpful information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

laura in Chicago, Illinois

54 months ago

You should have throw up on him.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Thomas in Chicago, Illinois

54 months ago

I used to work in a Grocery Store and you need a receipts for all your item you purchase. And manager checked all the bags for receipts and went through all the items. The manager checked our bags again at the end of the day. One cashier got fired because he lost his receipt. It might not be to late to talk to your union rep. maybe you can get your job back. If not, just explain that your manager is tough on the no tolerance policy. Everything happens for a reason, maybe you will get something better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

54 months ago

This is unbelievable. Next job, tell them the truth. No tolerance - for being sick. How unbelievable.

Does that mean when I'm grocery shopping, and I pick up a bottle of juice or milk, and drink it before I get to the register, I am stealing it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

I sure appreciate your responses...just wanted to update you all that I accepted a job as a bookkeeper. Well it has very minimal hours/$$$ but it's a job and I am ok w/it.

I just wish in that situation above, that my boss would have said yea head up to the front register and I'll wait here. Since I didn't even have to ask him in the first place to watch the register. Or I could of didn't something underhanded and just threw the whole juice bottle away w/out him ever knowing it...But I didn't and it was a freak'n swig for goodness sakes!

Well I only hope that he finds himself in a similar situation and someone responds! "NO TOLERANCE!" Right? Haha - well once again thanks much folks! Stacy!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jamie

43 months ago

Ew puking at the deli

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.