Home Daycare

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

Lauire Overton in Las Vegas, Nevada

82 months ago

I recently had to quit my home daycare business due to a surgery that I haven't been able to recover from. However, I really loved my job and have many parents who still ask for advice. Are there other providers who have experiences to share about their job at home? How is your business doing? Do you have great families to work with? Do you ever feel isolated from the rest of the working world? I found a great group of friends in my job. I was in daycare for over 25 years, and I raised a family of five kids as a single mom on that career! In many ways taking a paycheck without being taxed each week is how i got through the tough times. Any other job back then would have been much less take home pay. Any comments or input?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sharon Burick in Greenville, South Carolina

81 months ago

Hi, I am currently taking classes, and working on my Childcare Education Degree! I am looking to start a daycare sometime after I graduate. I am just researching all the things I need to know about starting one. So, is it a good job??? Just wondering. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

laurie in Las Vegas, Nevada

81 months ago

Absolutely, I had been in home daycare for over 25 years and it was a wonderful career. There are many plus points to working at home too. I have five children of my own and with taking night classes it was the right fit for my family too. I loved it and really miss that job. I had surgery so no longer can do that but if you ever need any pointers please feel free to write back. good choice and good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Please feel free to write me or other providers, there is much to share and help each other with, both parents and provider. Yhe corporate jobs are great but nothing compares with this business. You are your own boss and can set your guidelines in your setting. Of course being Licensed has a set policy on many issues but your contract is your own design. This is a wonderful field of work. The rewards are daily and what you give, you really do get back ten fold.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ivy in Sewell, New Jersey

80 months ago

i am certified, but i am having a hard time getting my home daycare off the ground. Any pointers on how to market my business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

ivy in Sewell, New Jersey said: i am certified, but i am having a hard time getting my home daycare off the ground. Any pointers on how to market my business.

Hi my new website is Homedaycare4You.com hopefully you will find more info. there and also ask questions too. But your best resources are friends family and neighbors who have had great experiences with providers. That and all your local schools, get your name out to all of those people many providers have to turn away families if they have no spots left, you could be their next call. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

LAURIE,
THAT SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA. THANK YOU AND I'LL DEFINITELY TRY THAT SITE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

David in Las Vegas, Nevada

80 months ago

Sorry, I'm looking for the forum at homedaycare4you.com, whats the link?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dawn Bertelson in Las Vegas, Nevada

78 months ago

laurie in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Please feel free to write me or other providers, there is much to share and help each other with, both parents and provider. Yhe corporate jobs are great but nothing compares with this business. You are your own boss and can set your guidelines in your setting. Of course being Licensed has a set policy on many issues but your contract is your own design. This is a wonderful field of work. The rewards are daily and what you give, you really do get back ten fold.

Hi I was wondering how you become a licenced home dayare provider are there classes that provide home studies ,background checks training and cpr i would appreciate any help and advise ..thank you my phone is [Edited by Host] thank -you

***Message from Host***
Contact info deleted Please do not post Contact info in the forums.
If you would like to set up a profile please go here to log in
www.indeed.com/my/profile Also please be cautious when sending your information to anyone on the forums.

77 months ago

Hello Dawan and any one else who is interested in starting their own homedaycare. Each state has their own website for information on getting licensed. Your parks and recreation might offer CPR as long as it is Red Cross certified it is accepted. Also our local community colleges offer the same classes.If your local police dept. does not offer fingerprint scanning, then usually your local community college will. There is a small fee for this.When you do your fingerparints there is a background check with that. You must attend an orientation meeting first with your city(s) local Community Care Licensing agency. It is great to look into this. I raised my five kids on this career and loved it. Please email me at overton.laurie@gmail.com for further assistance.I would be happy to help you all that I can. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

ivy in Sewell, New Jersey said: i am certified, but i am having a hard time getting my home daycare off the ground. Any pointers on how to market my business.

First I would go to all your local schools and some banks even have a bulletin board. Give your name to your churches and have business cards made for wherever you go. You will be amazed at how handy these cards will be. Word of mouth is by far the best way to adverise for childcare. Parents trust each other more than strangers.My kids told all of their teachers and that's how I got started. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

thank u for your suggestions.

BatChelsea in Wantagh, New York

71 months ago

Completely unrelated to helping you. i am planning to move to jersey next year and was wondering how to open a family daycare program in my home. Do you have any details? Who do I contact to start it off?

71 months ago

Hello, Well, regarding getting your homedaycare off the ground...I hope I can be of help...but I also would love for you to check out my website Homedaycare4You.com I have many ideas that may help you too. First off, just start getting the word out to all the moms you meet and to their friends...get the message out at your grocery stores and banks and any businesses you come in contact with.Perhaps placing an add in your local paper just to get introduced...that's how someone found me when i first started 27 years ago...from then on it was word of mouth...and my children's school teachers. Trusting in someone who already knows you is very important...if you can have just one other person recommend you to a new family...the the new families will start to come into your daycare. Good Luck...Feel free to ask anytime.Laurie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

BatChelsea in Wantagh, New York said: Completely unrelated to helping you. i am planning to move to jersey next year and was wondering how to open a family daycare program in my home. Do you have any details? Who do I contact to start it off?

Please look into my Homedaycare4You.com website...it gives you information about beginning this type of home based business. Given the times we are in now, this type of work will be even more important to all those who need to go back to work or relocate to find a new job. It's a great set-up for your family and being able to stay home with your own children too. Good Luck, let me know if I can be of further help. laurie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

iraymond in Sewell, New Jersey

70 months ago

It depends on the county you live in. I know that if you move to Gloucester County, you'll want to contact the E.I.R.C in Sewell. They do everything related to getting started and certified. I'm not even sure if you're moving to SOUTH/NORTH Jersey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Catalina in Las Vegas, Nevada

68 months ago

laurie in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Please look into my Homedaycare4You.com website...it gives you information about beginning this type of home based business. Given the times we are in now, this type of work will be even more important to all those who need to go back to work or relocate to find a new job. It's a great set-up for your family and being able to stay home with your own children too. Good Luck, let me know if I can be of further help. laurie

HI MY NAME IS CATALINA, AND I WANTED TO KNOW IF YOU CAN HELP ME START A HOME DAYCARE WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE IF YOU HAVE TIME TO EMAIL ME AT vegashomeswithcatalina@yahoo.com? I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU. AND THANK YOU FOR PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHO ARE WILLING TO HELP

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Christa in Fort Wayne, Indiana

63 months ago

I can help you with Newsletters, Contracts, and other documents. Please email me chrmijach2@yahoo.com

Christa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Catalina in Las Vegas, Nevada said: HI MY NAME IS CATALINA, AND I WANTED TO KNOW IF YOU CAN HELP ME START A HOME DAYCARE WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE IF YOU HAVE TIME TO EMAIL ME AT vegashomeswithcatalina@yahoo.com? I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU. AND THANK YOU FOR PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHO ARE WILLING TO HELP

Hi Catalina...I will email you with more information too but I wanted to add that there couldn't be a better time to start and grow your business. People are hurting financially and cannot afford those expensive center day care schools. Be patient and I will be happy to help out. Be competitve, but with a heart. Know that once you have landed good clinetele that others will follow and a steady stream of families is most important. It will cement your reputation and job security. Laurie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Christa in Fort Wayne, Indiana said: I can help you with Newsletters, Contracts, and other documents. Please email me chrmijach2@yahoo.com

Christa

Hi Ivy..I am sorry it's been a slow start for your daycare, but take heart. It will improve, maybe you need a few ideas. Have you tried leaving your business cards at grocery stores and local libraries, and children's specialty shops? Also make sure all your content information is on hand for other daycare centers, because some don't take children until they are 18 months old, or potty trained. Those families may never want to leave your wonderful caring home! Keep me posted, and good luck!

Patricia S in Homestead, Florida

50 months ago

laurie in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Absolutely, I had been in home daycare for over 25 years and it was a wonderful career. There are many plus points to working at home too. I have five children of my own and with taking night classes it was the right fit for my family too. I loved it and really miss that job. I had surgery so no longer can do that but if you ever need any pointers please feel free to write back. good choice and good luck!

I Laurie- I was wondering if you were still available to give me some advice and pointers to starting off a daycare business. This is something that I've been wanting to get into, I just haven't made any moves bc I dont know where to start. Do I need to have a degree in Education? Can you help me and point me the right direction? Your help is greatly appreciated.

50 months ago

Hi Patricia,
I replied back to you on my Homedaycare4You.com site. If you have any other questions please let me know, glad to be of help! Laurie

NannyCareOwner in Vermilion, Ohio

44 months ago

I also run an in home daycare & would love to help people start up there business. I came across this posting looking for in-home daycare websites to get new ideas on things to add to my site. If anyone wishes for some help or marketing ideas you can contact me at nannycareowner@yahoo.com &/or you can check out the daycare website at NannyCareChildcare.com

I wish you all the best!

CreativeKids in Vilnius, Lithuania

37 months ago

Best day care center in las vegas / nevada : www.creativekidslearningcenter.com.
Please visit our website for more information

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

smartchild in Peoria, Arizona

33 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.