Alternative Jobs for an entry-level EIT

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

David Graff in Marion, Illinois

52 months ago

I graduated with my Bachelor in Civil Engineering in May 2008 and received my EIT certification. I have been out of school for almost 2 years and unable to find a job.

The economic climate being as it is, I'm realizing that finding a job is going to be a long and difficult process. I'm considering jobs related to civil engineering but not actually engineering. Someone mentioned on another discussion that he became a construction inspector when he couldn't find a job during a recession.

What would be some jobs that I could look for that would give me experience and knowledge for a future civil engineering position?

Thanks for the responses.

David Graff

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Max in Fresno, California

51 months ago

Well Brah.....You, I and everyone else in the "Construction" world are shh it out of luck, if I were you I would start looking to volunteer at a firm of your choice while you bust your ass doing random other jobs. While you volunteer, you will learn the basics, and get some experience, that will help you look good compared to other new graduates. Peace

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sdp in Springfield, Illinois

50 months ago

Good luck with finding work in Southern Illinos.....

Not the economy it is the area.......

Construction observation is a great start and would benefit you.

We had to move to Springfield to find work, and it was not during a "bad economic climate"

sheri Hastings in Palos Verdes Peninsula, California

48 months ago

We have designed a barn in Portuguese Bend, (southern) California (between Long beach and San Pedro). In order to get it approved by the city we need a CA licenced civil engineer to sign off on the design. Can anyone here help us? THis is a pretty simple structure.. just 2 shed rows 50ft long by 12 feet wide that are facing each other. We will also need a surveyor.

Thanks

Sheri

Bill@crandalldrydock.com in Boston, Massachusetts

45 months ago

David Graff in Marion, Illinois said: I graduated with my Bachelor in Civil Engineering in May 2008 and received my EIT certification. I have been out of school for almost 2 years and unable to find a job.

The economic climate being as it is, I'm realizing that finding a job is going to be a long and difficult process. I'm considering jobs related to civil engineering but not actually engineering. Someone mentioned on another discussion that he became a construction inspector when he couldn't find a job during a recession.

What would be some jobs that I could look for that would give me experience and knowledge for a future civil engineering position?

David Graff

looking for office material handler, with a knowledge of varies marine material - chain, rollers, steel cradle, possible field examination and supervision 1of railway, floating dry dock around the world

Nick in New York, New York

41 months ago

David Graff in Marion, Illinois said: I graduated with my Bachelor in Civil Engineering in May 2008 and received my EIT certification. I have been out of school for almost 2 years and unable to find a job.

David Graff

For an engineering job, expand your search radius as far as you can.

Consider drafting job or internship to get foot in the door at engineering company.

Also, look into construction management. Look into steel fabricators.

That's all I got off the top of my head.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.