High School Student Interested in Civil Engineering

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Lindsey in Troutville, Virginia

37 months ago

1. I went to Virginia Tech for my undergraduate degree, as well as a Master's degree.
2. I have wanted to be a civil engineer since 10th grade when my dad (an architect) described what they do. I used to want to be a math teacher!
3. My daily routine depends on the project I'm working on. Since I'm early in my career, I am usually only on one project at a time. I spend most of my days running calculations, looking up things in building codes, drawing details, and asking questions!
4. I chose Engineering because I've always enjoyed and been good at math, and I wanted a practical job.
5. My top item on a To-Do list for an aspiring civil engineer would be to get into a good (ABET accredited) Engineering school and study hard! Getting good grades may not matter 30 years from now, but they SURE help in getting good jobs!
6. I took physics and calculus in high school. I use concepts from physics on a daily basis, and occasionally even calculus! I definitely used both in college.
7. I do love my job! Its very challenging but rewarding.
8. I do not feel like I've ever been treated differently because I'm a woman in Engineering.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

NEVER AGAIN in Anaheim, California

28 months ago

My friend, I will not answer your question simply because i don't like to divulge too much online.

My advice to you is that if your considering this career is not even bother. Unless you are an over achiever and know you can accomplish a High GPA in college, which is extremely difficult, you should consider another type of engineering. I would suggest electrical.

I graduated in 2010. And although I have gone to interviews, THERE ARE NO JOBS FOR ENTRY LEVEL PEOPLE. NO one in their right mind will hire someone they have to break in. And the few places that are hiring are in the ASS END of the country.

one more thing. The job is horrible. It has turned into a production line. If you cannot produce below budget, you will probably end up working for free a lot. To ad insult to injury, the most complicate math that I have seen applied on the job is stuff that I learned in HS. However, I spent hundreds of hours working on 3 calculus classes, and one Differential eq class.

RUN KID... RUN AS FAR AS YOU CAN...

And Ignore these optimistic Jerks on here that say.. "O.. it will get better" .."its just the business cycle". Its not just the business cycle... because every other industry has had growth since 2009... and CE and construction IS JUST STARTING TO TICK UP..........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Agent Dale Cooper in Blacksburg, Virginia

28 months ago

-I went to Virginia Tech.

-I did not always want to be a civil engineer; I am more interested in urban planning and real estate development than CE but CE provides good, stable job opportunities while leaving open the possibility of transferring to the aforementioned fields.

-Days are never the same. Work days usually include a mix of calculations, drawing (CADD work), administrative work, zoning/regulatory analysis, site visits, and meetings. It's a good mix of activities. I like this job more than an other job I've had (10+ jobs).

-In high school, make sure you're proficient with algebra, trig, and geometry. These math skills are most useful to a CE. If you can take calculus, great. If not, don't sweat it. CE classes rarely involve integrals and derivatives. I'd also recommend classes in art or design. Engineers are not taught to be that creative, but you will be given some artistic leeway as a professional designer. Moving forward, we need to make better design decisions to improve our communities (less sprawl and parking lots). Also, a good handle of grammar and language is a bonus as an engineer; many engineers have communication skills so an advanced English class or two certainly would help you.

-CE will probably require 40+ hours of work a week for a 15 credit semester. This includes the time spent in class. Some weeks will be worse than others. Overall, it really isn't that bad if you dedicate yourself to it. I also recommend community college courses to save money and to save your GPA =). Community colleges are good for freshman and sophomore math, science, and mechanics coursework. My number one piece of advice is to stay confident; some of the information presented to you in college is somewhat intimidating but getting through it is not all that bad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.