Civil Engineer

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Robert P. Ross in Austin, Texas

53 months ago

Rula in Billings, Montana said: Hey, I am a Civil Engineer, have a great experience with the corp of egineers, trying to find a job with a contactor who is working for the corp of engineers! I am willing to move where ever the job will take me!

Try HNTB...L. Melane LMelane@hntb.com.. she is a senior personnel recruiter for them. They have work in New Orleans area right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Try HNTB...LMelane@hntb.com for work in New Orleans.

vikirecon in CHICAGO

52 months ago

HI everybody i did my b.e. in civil engineering from nagpur university india in 2004 after that i worked for govt corporation for 2 years and after that i started my own business in construction of industrial buildings as a contractor
my problem is i am going to chicago in december 2009 and dont know how i can do my own business or job there please help me

nid tho in mt prospect, Illinois

52 months ago

why are you comin to chicago in the first place?

nid tho in mt prospect, Illinois

52 months ago

well , you can use your experience over here to work for a company or a contractor/sub-contractor...make sure that you bring all the transcripts from india if you are comin to chicago ( bring SEALED transcripts from the university where u completed ur bach or masters..very important )...cos if come you will have to study something or the other which will be a masters program or a certification program.

Right now the economy sux big time , hope fully it will recover in the next few months.All the companies are either downsizing / layin off.

After you arrive you might be frustrated with a lot of things.but take it easy and hope for the best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

vikirecon in CHICAGO said: HI everybody i did my b.e. in civil engineering from nagpur university india in 2004 after that i worked for govt corporation for 2 years and after that i started my own business in construction of industrial buildings as a contractor
my problem is i am going to chicago in december 2009 and dont know how i can do my own business or job there please help me

When coming to the USA have a visa which permits working here. You may be coming here as a spouse of your wife who has a permission to work. You also want permission to work here. Bring certified copies of all your records, transscripts, addresses, contacts. Contact your references and contacts before you leave and review with them what projects, work, skills, abilities you will want them to comment on as a reference. Stay in touch with them.
The USA work opportunity is not very good at the moment. Chicago has a very high unemployment rate in construction and engineering. Some entry jobs are receiving in excess of 500 resumes from people that have PhD's to entry level and everyone in between. If you are good at working with your hands and managing people you may be able to obtain your own contractors license and do home improvement contracts and tenant improvement type of work.The only area I know of that has begun to improve is the Austin-San Antonio, Texas where the unemployment rate was at a high of 8% and has now dropped to 6.8%

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

vikirecon in Bombay, India

52 months ago

nid tho sir and robert p ross sir ,

thanks for all the guidance u have provided me in this forum but i would like to state that in india i am doing biz in industrial sector
problem is

1. there are no valid legal documents that are signed between the parties( contractor and client)
2. u cannot settle legal disputes in courts due to this u have to have muscle and political power to settle your issues
3. and sadly due to this my lot of money is stuck in the market
4. we do repetitive work all the buildings are more or less same design (structural design) area of plots are 450 sqm 1000 sq m 1800 sqm. F.S.I. is 125 percent of the total area.
5. we just arrange labour and material and start building

yeah i know what u guys are thinking but here it is like that only in these kind of projects . project estimate of 450 sqm building is thity lacs which is quite good if u have some projects than u can live of very well here

so the problem is what kind of documents i can bring when there are none and its a very big headache for me cause i know people dont work like that there in usa.

please show me some light

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jayashree in Brussels, Belgium

51 months ago

HIBuddies,

I am working in belgium Brussels, came last week only, but my husband is in Govt sector in INDIA. But I am interested to bring him here, so need your guidelines for the following points

1) in the case if my husband arrived to Brussels on dependent, is it possible he cn work or not
2) He already has 8 years of exp in private sector(CIVIL) does will it be considered while searching jobs in belgium
3)Most IMP point: Is it advisable to quit the govt job in INDIA and search a new Job in Brussels, in overall would like to understand on the Brussels CIvil engg sector

Thanks to all in advance,
Jayashree

Anita nqwena in Satellite Provider

29 months ago

Hello im anita nqwena from eat london,did you know my father by the name of Luvuyo Kota?..

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.