HOW TO GET THE EXPERIENCE IF NOBODY ACCEPT ENTRY LEVELS

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 304)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

RAFAEL GOMEZ GAITAN in Littleton, Colorado

87 months ago

I did a Clinical Research Associate couse on line last March. In the partial tests I got 91%, 96% and 94%. In the final Mastery test I got 94%. I have been trying to get an entry level job since then. Everybody requires one or 2 years experience. How can I get the experience if nobody gives the chance to beginners?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (183) / No (38) Reply - Report abuse

kelly in Toronto, Ontario

87 months ago

You'll have to start off as a data coordinator/manager or perhaps a study coordinator. These roles allow you to learn the clinical trial tasks / regulations etc. And you also meet CRAs who will monitor your work who will be good for future referrals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Rafael Gomez Gaitan in Littleton, Colorado

87 months ago

RAFAEL GOMEZ GAITAN in Littleton, Colorado said: I did a Clinical Research Associate couse on line last March. In the partial tests I got 91%, 96% and 94%. In the final Mastery test I got 94%. I have been trying to get an entry level job since then. Everybody requires one or 2 years experience. How can I get the experience if nobody gives the chance to beginners?

Thank you very much for your comment Kelly. I appreciate it. Do you work in the same field? I have to tell you that I am M.D. from Mexico. I want to combine the medical esperience with the research to find new ways to help people. I need a job that allow me to get the money to pay for the Medical Board tests. That would give me the license to work as M.D. and complement in that way my work as researcher. What do oyu thing is the way that I have to take to get that goal?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Seems to me you would fit in the role as a medical advisor for a pharma company

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

? in Medford, New Jersey

87 months ago

Lots of big pharma and clinical research firms in the Princeton, NJ area if you could possibly relocate.

Keep trying. You'll get something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

? in Medford, New Jersey said: Lots of big pharma and clinical research firms in the Princeton, NJ area if you could possibly relocate.

Keep trying. You'll get something.

Thank you very much I appreciate your opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Clin.Res in Ottawa, Ontario

87 months ago

Hello Everyone,

I am graduating with a MSc. degree in Biochemistry with alot of basic research experience. But in the last year, I have been reading lots of books about clinical research and networking with CRAs in the hospital where our lab is. However, I have noticed that most people are looking to hire nurses(RN) as CRA and not people with MSc. Has anyone else noticed that.

I am not against nursing or anything, but dont nurses have enough on their hands looking after patients that now they have to do the bureaucratic and regulatory work too.

I am also wondering if anyone with MSc. or BSc. had an issue with loosing a job competition/pay raise/or a promotion in clinical research whether in pharma or hospital to a RN just because they had the degree. Please share your stories.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

When you work for a pharma or CRO company they hire both RNs and Science grads, whomever, has the clinical research experience / education is how they base their decision.

When you wrote above that nurses have enough on their hands looking after patients you seem to be talking about CRA positions in a hospital? If that is the case I can understand. But the CRA role in a hospital would be slightly different than in a pharma company. It depends on the actual tasks. If they have to see patients and draw blood etc then yes an RN would be better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Peter Marquez

86 months ago

RAFAEL GOMEZ GAITAN in Littleton, Colorado said: I did a Clinical Research Associate couse on line last March. In the partial tests I got 91%, 96% and 94%. In the final Mastery test I got 94%. I have been trying to get an entry level job since then. Everybody requires one or 2 years experience. How can I get the experience if nobody gives the chance to beginners?

Rafael,

What program did you take online? Do you have a Bachelors degree or clinical experience?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

breddi

86 months ago

Hey Kelly,

Thanks for your replies. Are you in the field already? I would like to know some interview questions. could you answer some of these questions?

1). if a dose has to be given a patient in 2 min. If the patient refuses to take the dose how do you deal the situation?

2). If a patient yells at you in the clinic and talks bad about the clinic and yelling at you in the clinic infornt of you what do you do?

If anybody attend any interviews before please share your expereinces and possible, appropriate answers as well.

Thanks in advance,
Reddi
Toronto

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jahan K in Ottawa, Ontario

86 months ago

Hey Reddi

This is Jahan K in Ottawa. Great questions about ethics in doing clin research. I guess the best way to answer them would be your own way of problem solving. They are basically testing you if you can handle a problem when confronting with a patient. I asked this with an investigator in Ottawa who interviews people for CRC positions and this was his answer.

By the way where are you in Toronto and where is your interview?

Jahan K

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

breddi in Toronto, Ontario

86 months ago

Jahan K in Ottawa, Ontario said: Hey Reddi

This is Jahan K in Ottawa. Great questions about ethics in doing clin research. I guess the best way to answer them would be your own way of problem solving. They are basically testing you if you can handle a problem when confronting with a patient. I asked this with an investigator in Ottawa who interviews people for CRC positions and this was his answer.

By the way where are you in Toronto and where is your interview?

Jahan K

Hi Jahan,

Thanks for your reply. Where is the answer? U didnt DD THE ANSWER. i AM IN TORONTO Kipling Ave, Near Albion Center. I attended an interview at Allied research, Missisauga.
What do u do? R u working as a CRC?

Thanks,
Reddy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Engers Fernandez in Wimauma, Florida

85 months ago

Hello, Guys

It seems that CRA is an option for MD coming to USA from another country. I am a medical doctor, I have my medical degree from Dominican Republic, I have participate in a CRA certification from a Ontario company and now I am looking for an opportunity as a CRA but it seems that nobody hire a CRA as an entry level. What will be the procedure?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Engers Fernandez in Clermont, Florida

85 months ago

Hello, Rafael
How are you? It seems that We both are in the same situation, did you get any chance as a CRA already, if it does? I am traying to get into the field but I haven't get any positive responser because everybody is looking for 2 years experienced minimum. I got my MD degree from Dominican Republic and I also looking for an opportunity as a CRA so I can pay for my expense and the USMLE prearation process.

If there any information, I will really appreciate.

Wishing you the best of the sucess

Best Regards,

Engers

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Engers Fernandez in Clermont, Florida

85 months ago

Hello, Kelly

How you doing? I hope you're doing great. I got to this site looking for answers as a CRA opportunity, I have my Medical Doctor degree in Dominican Republic, I took a certification course as a CRA from a canadian company, now it seems that company don't contract CRA as an entry level, I will like to have a Informational Interview with you, just a few e-mail question so I could get better information from somebody that is already in the field.

Thanks before hand,

Engers Fernandez

Slumnur in Denver, Colorado

85 months ago

Hello All....I have a research background as well as a quality analyst background within the Insurance Industry..I recently graduated with a BSRN and am looking to break into the CRA field...HOWEVER...I am in the same boat as many of you...not able to get even a toe in the door because I don't have site monitering experience....

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Many thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rafael Gomez Gaitan in Denver, Colorado

85 months ago

Go to the Web Contract Research Organizations and look for the MASTERS section

Cici in Montreal, Quebec

85 months ago

Engers Fernandez in Clermont, Florida said: Hello, Rafael
How are you? It seems that We both are in the same situation, did you get any chance as a CRA already, if it does? I am traying to get into the field but I haven't get any positive responser because everybody is looking for 2 years experienced minimum. I got my MD degree from Dominican Republic and I also looking for an opportunity as a CRA so I can pay for my expense and the USMLE prearation process.

If there any information, I will really appreciate.

Wishing you the best of the sucess

Best Regards,

Engers

Hi There,
I know of a company looking for CRA's in Canada and the US

Cici in Montreal, Quebec

85 months ago

Hi to you all,
I have a freind of mine that is a CRA in the Montreal area. She keeps telling me that she needs CRA's let me know if you are interested and i'll see what I can do.

I look forward to hearing from you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

zeb Khan in Ottawa + Montreal, Ontario

85 months ago

Hello Cici,
I would be very interested. It would really help me alot in my search for work. I am currently "in between jobs" because I just finished my grad degree and looking for my niche in science. How would I contact you? I live in Ottawa, Ontario but I can move to Montreal. My email is written in my profile description.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cici in Montreal, Quebec

85 months ago

please send me your cv to salamone@sympatico.ca

PS. The job posting is for CRA in Montreal

Cici in Montreal, Quebec

85 months ago

sorry, I sent you the wrong e-mail.
send to salamonec@sympatico.ca

85 months ago

Hello Elgers,

No, I did not get anything yet. Still looking for without any secure lead.

85 months ago

you can look for openings at Monster, Career Building or MedZilla

Cici in Montreal, Quebec

85 months ago

Hi,
Check out www.iconclinical.com for any openings.

Good luck to you.
Cici

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Thank you very much Cici. I am checking this place right now. Did you have any experience with them? Where are you located?

Rafael

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cici in Montreal, Quebec

85 months ago

Rafael Gomez Gaitan in Littleton, Colorado said: Thank you very much Cici. I am checking this place right now. Did you have any experience with them? Where are you located?

Rafael

yes I know them well. They are always looking for CRA's.

Cici

Urmila in Toronto, Ontario

85 months ago

Cici in Montreal, Quebec said: Hi to you all,
I have a freind of mine that is a CRA in the Montreal area. She keeps telling me that she needs CRA's let me know if you are interested and i'll see what I can do.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Cici,

Doesnt one have to be bilingual to work in Montreal?

Cici in Montreal, Quebec

85 months ago

yes that is correct.

Regards,
Cici

85 months ago

Hi Cici,

Yes, I would like to hear a little more about the CRAs jobs that your friend has.

Thank you very much Cici,

Rafael Gomez Gaitan

Etienne in West Palm Beach, Florida

85 months ago

Hello all,

Well, I do not see any more post from the International Medical Graduates. It seems effectively to be an opportunity for IMG to work in the research field (CRA).
As a French physician in Florida, I am interested in this discussion. But I do not now for now whether to take an online CRA Training course or not. Is anyone of you knows if a foreign Medical degree can open the doors as a CRA in the US?
Thank you,

David in Texas

85 months ago

Hello all,
I have seen many inquiries as to how one gets into the CRA profession on an entry level. There are many factors that will increase the chances of getting an opportunity to be accepted as a CRA on the enrty level. I have a MSc in molecular biology as well as CRA certification (which I got online). In addition I have extensive experience in oncological clinical research. I work daily establishing contacts with those who are connected to the clinical research arena. Even with these credentials and efforts I have not landed a face to face interview for a CRA position. However, having said that, I have had a small number of initial calls from hiring intities that have expressed an interest in my back ground. I guess what I am trying to say is that one should stay focused and remain persistent in acuriring a CRA position. With time the exposure you generate will get your foot in a door. I have found that when you do, you have to sell your ass off to get the job!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

lee in Halifax, Nova Scotia

85 months ago

Hi David Where did you get your online certification from and how long was the course?

85 months ago

Hi Etienne,
I know of a recent IMG who completed his CRA certification and is now working in a pharmaceutical company in Canada. I do not know how it fits into the USA market but I do not think it would be hard to get into this field with your IMG background. Online courses are good but you should check out the credibility and also compare the course outline with a couple of institutes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jan in Toronto, Ontario

85 months ago

Hi everyone,
I am recently done my undergrad study, and currently enrolled in an online CRA program. As the program goes on, I start having doubts on the way that the course materials were conducted, and how much I could get out of it. I was thinking to switch from an online program to a full-time in class program. Can anyone give me some advices on choosing the right CRA institution/certificate program that would give me a better chance of getting a CRA job in the future.
Much appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

David Chilton in League City, Texas

85 months ago

lee in Halifax, Nova Scotia said: Hi David Where did you get your online certification from and how long was the course?

Hi Lee,
I got my CRA certification from Kriger Research International. It took about 3 months to complete. The nice thing about this program is that when you complete the course work you are given 4 clinical trial projects to work on. These are active on going clinical trials so the experience you gain from your involvememt counts as actual work exoerinece equivent to ~6 months. This is great because you can put this on your resume. Also, Kriger has a great resume design department that will help you highlight your experiences that are of value to the CRA field, thus making you more marketable. In addition, the final test you take after the course work and conclusion of the project can be taken more than once if you do not pass the first time. The content of the CRA program is identical to the information given in other CRA certification programs like the SOCRA, ACRP and others. After taking the certification course I have had a lot of companies calling me for interviews. I have not landed a position yet but in time that will change. As a matter fo fact, next week I will be interiveiwing for 3 spots with hiring managers. I believe this field is so under employed that in time anyone who has the right acedemic back ground augmented with CRA certification will get a nice position in due time. Just keep at and chances are a CRA postion will come your way. Stay positive!!
all the best
David C. MSc. CCRA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

breddi, Toronto

85 months ago

David Chilton in League City, Texas said: Hi Lee,
I got my CRA certification from Kriger Research International. It took about 3 months to complete. The nice thing about this program is that when you complete the course work you are given 4 clinical trial projects to work on. These are active on going clinical trials so the experience you gain from your involvememt counts as actual work exoerinece equivent to ~6 months. This is great because you can put this on your resume. Also, Kriger has a great resume design department that will help you highlight your experiences that are of value to the CRA field, thus making you more marketable. In addition, the final test you take after the course work and conclusion of the project can be taken more than once if you do not pass the first time. The content of the CRA program is identical to the information given in other CRA certification programs like the SOCRA, ACRP and others. After taking the certification course I have had a lot of companies calling me for interviews. I have not landed a position yet but in time that will change. As a matter fo fact, next week I will be interiveiwing for 3 spots with hiring managers. I believe this field is so under employed that in time anyone who has the right acedemic back ground augmented with CRA certification will get a nice position in due time. Just keep at and chances are a CRA postion will come your way. Stay positive!!
all the best
David C. MSc. CCRA

Hi David,
Nice to hear. Are you in Canada. I also have got CRA certification from KRiger. I am not getting any calls even though i have 6 months real time Clinical trial coordinator experience aprt from Kriger project work exp. In Canada they are asking real time expereince.I am not getting even telephone calls fro preliminary interview. Wats your major in M.Sc. I have done M. Sc. in chemical biology in Canada. I am taking inclass training as well from McMaster univeristy. Any suggestions would be appr.

85 months ago

Hi Lee,
I am out of Texas. It is good you got your CRA from Kriger. They are well known and respected as a CRO. So, dont give up. Keep putting yourself outhere and sooner or later some one will find you. Go to job boards like Monster.com, careerbuilder.com and medzilla.com. Also, network aroung and get in touch with recruiters. You can go onlien and serarch for CRA recruiters and get a ton. And finally, when you do get a lead, sell yourself. Highlight all your experiences in your past that would be relevant to a CRA. It is hard to get a CRA position without real experience. So, be patient and work hard getting your self exposed in the right areas.
all the best
David

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chris R in Phoenix, Arizona

85 months ago

Would someone mind telling me what the certification from a place like Kriger is like? Is it a full time commitment and what sort of work are you responsible for?

Also, I will be graduating with a non science degree, should I take a few classes in pharmacology/medical terminology to better my resume?

Thanks!

85 months ago

Hi Chris

all the best
David C. MSc. CCRA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

David, thanks for the advice and optomism! I am still gathering information on this field and seeing if my academic background would even be acceptable. I will be graduating in May with a BS in Geography, only taken one Chemistry course and one Psychology course. Are non-life science majors even thought of as applicants in becoming CRA's? When would you recommend taking the course from Kriger?

Engers Fernandez in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

85 months ago

Yes, I am interest in the CRA opportunity what should I do

David Consoli in Santa Monica, California

85 months ago

I have a BS major in biochemistry and have a little research experience. Does this help and how can one apply a position as a researcher to the field of CRA? I have also been previously actively involved in a clinical research project of studying patients ,does this help too, and does being on the laboratory side of the project find use in this field ? Thank you.

85 months ago

Chris-the basic requirement for CRA is a Bachelor in Science/Health Science/Nursing

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

You have the requirements for this field. Do you have knowledge of regulations involved in trials? If you do then you should not have any problem.

85 months ago

Urmila in Toronto, Ontario said: Chris-the basic requirement for CRA is a Bachelor in Science/Health Science/Nursing

So in order to have any chance at being a CRA, you must have a degree in Science/Health Science/Nursing? I was thinking of taking Pharmacology, Physiology, and a few other classes to go with my non-science major, but you need the actual major?

C in Oakland, California

85 months ago

My degree was in english - and I'm now a Clinical Project Manager at a MAJOR Bay Area pharma, proving you don't have to have a science degree to break into the CR field.

I suggest starting from the ground up - don't try to shoot for the moon. You will serve yourself better by building a foundation of experience.

If you can, start in data management or as a study coordinator (again - a science degree helps, but it not required)

Hope that helps! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

breddi in Hamilton, Ontario

85 months ago

hi,

Ur commments are encouraging . good advice.

Thanks

N in Canton, Michigan

85 months ago

I completed my Masters in Biotechnology from India 2 years back and now i am in USA.i am looking for a job but dont knw where to start as i have a big gap between my studies..for expereince i need to start from somewhere plzz help me...do i need to study first or look for a job....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.