What is an average day like for a CRA?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 159)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

hoi13 in San Francisco, California

82 months ago

what does a typical day consist of for a CRA? I am still deciding if this would be a career I would find interesting/enjoyable? I have heard there is a lot of travel, but what else are CRA's responsible for doing?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (280) / No (34) Reply - Report abuse

hoi13 in San Francisco, California

82 months ago

Anyone? I'm having a tough time finding out just what a day would be like for a CRA, obviously I want to figure this out prior to getting all the way to that level... So if someone wouldn't mind letting me know just a bit about a typical day I would really appreciate it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (58) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

David in Los Angeles, California

81 months ago

Definitely helpful. Thank you for revealing what working as a CRA is like. I'm also interested in hearing the same stats as Bubba is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

David in Los Angeles, California

81 months ago

Thanks for the viewpoint, Mario. Yeah, I noticed that the hospital-based CRA positions pay less. Like one listing I found outside of California said that they were looking for a part-time CRA (20 hours per week) with a bachelor's degree in a life science and at least 1 year's experience in clinical monitoring, but the pay was $15.01/hour. Ouch. At that payscale, in that part of the country, I could get a job as an assistant (lower than the technician/technologist position) in a clinical lab with the same pay or slightly higher with my degree and laboratory work experience.

By the way, to the people who've responded about the typical work day, do you enjoy your work despite (or because of) the downs that come with the ups?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

gypsyheart in Olive Branch, Mississippi

81 months ago

Do the pharma/biotech companies give some kind of budget for setting up your home office? For the CRA's?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Nadia F in Spring, Texas

80 months ago

Initially they offer a stipend for an upgrade to your computer/printer/fax that is quite helpful but minimal and based on frequent use of supplies such as ink,paper....they reimburse you. The key is to ask for it !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Burned out CRA in Spokane, Washington

80 months ago

Mario in Palo Alto, California said: The answer above is accurate for a CRA that does monitoring. However, that is only one type of job. There are CRAs, like myself, that are hospital based. Our job falls more into the realm of a typical day job. On an average day, I go into work at around 9 in the morning. At that time I check to see if any physicians contacted me about about new patient's interested in the clinical trials I deal with (I work in the department of pediatric hematology/oncology). If there is a new patient, I spend the day coordinating shipping out tumor samples, blood samples and checking eligibility requirements. If there isn't a new patient, I enter data for the other patient's that I have enrolled and I submit documents to our institutional review board (IRB). The IRB reviews all documents to ensure that the studies are safe for patients. On most days, my day ends by 5:30 p.m. I travel very rarely (once or twice a year). I'd say the biggest problem with being a hospital based CRA is the pay scale, but considering that a) there is a ton of job security and b) the hours aren't bad, it is OK (but barely).

You are a Study Coordinator, CRC, not a CRA. Perhaps you call it a CRA but your job description is for a CRC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jeff in Toronto, Ontario

80 months ago

thanks for the info, very helpful

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Linda Lynch in Kansas City, Missouri

80 months ago

Can anyone comment on the Travel Reports that must be accomplished for traveling CRA?

I'm sure different for each company...wondering how much time they take.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chris R in Phoenix, Arizona

80 months ago

Would you as far to say that it's stressful? Or is it pretty straight forward once at the sites?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brian Musoke in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

80 months ago

Hi there I am interested in getting into the CRA field, how do I do that. I have clinical Experience and am working on getting my Certificate in Clinical Trial Management and a Masters in Regulatory Affairs and Quality Assurancce.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

kelly in London, Ontario

80 months ago

Chris R in Phoenix, Arizona said: Would you as far to say that it's stressful? Or is it pretty straight forward once at the sites?

Not that stressful of a job once you get the hang of things. You are always learning something new. It depends what studies you are assigned to. Some are very easy with the patient experiencing no side effects. Some are more complex with patients experiencing many SAEs that must be followed up. You are provided with company SOPs which detail your tasks at a site really well. Once you monitor a few times it is easy but things always change and must be able to adapt!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

satha in Springfield, Illinois

79 months ago

Hi Burned out CRA or anyone else
I am certified CRA. I have been offered a job as a Regional CRA but i turned it down because i cannot travel with my family situation. However, the same company has requested if I could then be hired as a Research Associate then they will make me a CRC (clinical research coordinator) as I cannot start as CRC because i don't have any hospital priviliges. Can anyone tell me what my salary range would be as a CRA vs Research associate vs CRC?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (63) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

confusedchild in Valencia, California

79 months ago

Hello everyone,

I had a few questions regarding this field. I am still a college student but I wanted to know the stats on each of the graduates. Where and when did the CRA's graduate from. What degree did they earn and their GPA's. That would be extremely helpful.

Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Elvia Saravia in New York, New York

78 months ago

kelly in London, Ontario said: Not that stressful of a job once you get the hang of things. You are always learning something new. It depends what studies you are assigned to. Some are very easy with the patient experiencing no side effects. Some are more complex with patients experiencing many SAEs that must be followed up. You are provided with company SOPs which detail your tasks at a site really well. Once you monitor a few times it is easy but things always change and must be able to adapt!

I am very curious to know what type of SOPs CRA's get that are specific to now you need to monitor your site. I am a hospital-based coordinator and work with no SOP's. How do I get my hands on Standard SOP, which I can use as a guide to generate one for my site?
Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SwissHam in Newark, Delaware

78 months ago

Saw this on the Quintiles website... sounds about right

www.qtrn.com/Careers/CRAJournal.htm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nitin Bansal in Newcastle, Australia

78 months ago

Thnks SwissHam !!
Thts pretty good .

SwissHam in Newark, Delaware said: Saw this on the Quintiles website... sounds about right

www.qtrn.com/Careers/CRAJournal.htm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Phoebe in Memphis, Tennessee

78 months ago

What is a typical day like for a CRC?

NewCRA in Ottawa, Ontario

78 months ago

I'm curious to know what the average work week is for a CRA and average pay. Also i wonder what are some of the typical intrview questions to be prepared for when applying for a CRA position. I have a BA and am soon to recieve my certification but i am not sure if i will stick with this career depending on promising it is in terms of salary, work hours, if it's a high pressure position, and whether demand for CRAs is in fact as high it has been claimed to be. I would greatly appreciate the help from everyone in different geographical locations with experience in this field to help me decide based on the stats where is the best country to work as a CRA before i take the leap of moving there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Pankaj in Bangalore, India

77 months ago

Hi Everyone, I am currently undergoing a diploma course for CRA, and I want to make my career in this field. This is indeed a very helpful conversation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jeya in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

77 months ago

Hi,
I have read this and it seems like CRA's are traveling alot. Would this be a good job if you want to have a family life? Thanks for your tips!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Burning out fast in Bristol, Virginia

77 months ago

I've been a CRA for a few years now, and am now a CCRA. I'm considering leaving the field, as the time demands of the job are more than I want to commit. The pay isn't that great when you consider that you're pulling in no less than 50-60 hour work weeks. Plus travel is getting less and less pleasant w/the airline problems, trying to keep hotels within budget, etc.
My advice to anyone is.......if you want to commit this much time out of your life to your work, go for the highest salary because you're definitely earning it!

Chris R in Phoenix, Arizona

76 months ago

Burning out fast in Bristol, Virginia said: I've been a CRA for a few years now, and am now a CCRA. I'm considering leaving the field, as the time demands of the job are more than I want to commit. The pay isn't that great when you consider that you're pulling in no less than 50-60 hour work weeks. Plus travel is getting less and less pleasant w/the airline problems, trying to keep hotels within budget, etc.
My advice to anyone is.......if you want to commit this much time out of your life to your work, go for the highest salary because you're definitely earning it!

What are you doing for the 50-60 hours each week? Are you including the travel in that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MPLT in Sydney, Australia

74 months ago

I love being a CRA, it's great fun but you need to deal with stress and deadlines well.

Chris R -Burning out fast probbably isn't including travel time.
Keep in mind though, it's not always like that. there are really busy, hectic periods (i recently spent a full month at sites without setting foot in the office and only coming home for the weekends) and other times when it is more like a 9-5 jub with occasional travel. It depends on the study and how far along it is.

Jeya -I wouldn't recomend being a CRA if you want to spend a lot of time with your family. I would recomend it to anyone who wants to get away from them though :)

Linda Lynch -I wouldnt worry too much about the reports. You basically just say what you did during a visit, how the study is going at that site, what's happening with submissions to the ethics committee, how SDV (source data verification) is going and what you're planning on doing for next visit.

Ideally (im told) you should get about 70% of it done during the visit, writing as you go but personally i think this wastes time at site (and you can always get it done after hours, like everything else).

Elvia Saravia -Sorry, but if someone gave you their companies SOPs i think they should be fired.

Experienced CRA -great description

See you at the airport kids

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Vaishali Parekh in Gaithersburg, Maryland

74 months ago

Mario in Palo Alto, California said: The answer above is accurate for a CRA that does monitoring. However, that is only one type of job. There are CRAs, like myself, that are hospital based. Our job falls more into the realm of a typical day job. On an average day, I go into work at around 9 in the morning. At that time I check to see if any physicians contacted me about about new patient's interested in the clinical trials I deal with (I work in the department of pediatric hematology/oncology). If there is a new patient, I spend the day coordinating shipping out tumor samples, blood samples and checking eligibility requirements. If there isn't a new patient, I enter data for the other patient's that I have enrolled and I submit documents to our institutional review board (IRB). The IRB reviews all documents to ensure that the studies are safe for patients. On most days, my day ends by 5:30 p.m. I travel very rarely (once or twice a year). I'd say the biggest problem with being a hospital based CRA is the pay scale, but considering that a) there is a ton of job security and b) the hours aren't bad, it is OK (but barely).

thanks Mario for showing the other side of being a CRA, I have always heard about the lots of traveling side. When you mentioned the pay isn't the best, what exactly do you mean, is there a lot of difference between the two? I am a mom of two girls and i wanted some flexibility and i really want to work with clinical trials so i was thinking this would be a good field. And you have any suggestion as to how i should get started, i would really appreciate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

KEM in Chapel Hill, North Carolina

74 months ago

As Burned Out said, Mario's description is for a CRC, not a CRA. CRCs are the ones actually carrying out the protocols (with the Investigator, of course) - the ones seeing the subjects, entering the data, etc. The CRA's job is basically to monitor the CRC's work. The CRA goes to the CRC's site and verifies the data, checks regulatory documents, and overall just makes sure everything is running according to plan at the site. Regarding compensation, a CRA is a higher paying position than a CRC.

Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sweetgourd in Princeton, New Jersey

74 months ago

Hi my girlfriend is getting into this field since she likes traveling. however she also agrees that in the long run it isn't the best choice for the family. so i am wondering what ppl would typically choose to do if they decide to quit? as it's been discussed, CRC is a downgrade in terms of the income. anything good suggestions what a CRA becomes after he/she quits?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sweetgourd in Princeton, New Jersey

74 months ago

Hi my girlfriend is getting into this field since she likes traveling. however she also agrees that in the long run it isn't the best choice for the family. so i am wondering what ppl would typically choose to do if they decide to quit? as it's been discussed, CRC is a downgrade in terms of the income. anything good suggestions what a CRA becomes after he/she quits?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RAM in East Orange, New Jersey

74 months ago

Hi folks, I have bs in pharmacy and cont. masters. I am graduating dec.2008. I am seriously thinking bout get in to CRA field. but after reading all you guys' feed back, i am thinkin bout do it or not? i want good family life and good salary. waiting for you guys' comments.

CRA with Kid in Richmond Hill, Ontario

74 months ago

RAM in East Orange, New Jersey said: Hi folks, I have bs in pharmacy and cont. masters. I am graduating dec.2008. I am seriously thinking bout get in to CRA field. but after reading all you guys' feed back, i am thinkin bout do it or not? i want good family life and good salary. waiting for you guys' comments.

Home-base can be a solution, but discipline is the key. On days I fly out I hire nanny and have my mother to come over to watch the kid. You then get the luxury to stay with your kid the whole day when not flying. Bonus is, you save up mileages and points from hotel for Disneyland tickets for the whole family.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ninji in Irvington, New Jersey

74 months ago

Hey Ram I have also bs in pharmacy and doin masters, CRA is the best field to get in. If you have talent, dedication and ready to put extra efforts, it will be rewarding down the line.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Theresa in Brandon, Manitoba

73 months ago

I am planning to register for the CRA course; my background is more on pharmaceutical quality assurance; is it worth taking this course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JE in Simpsonville, South Carolina

73 months ago

Great comments and points of view. As I was reading the posts, I have a few suggestions to those of you who are contemplating the CRA role. Paramount to being a successful CRA there are skills sets that are necessary such as being a great communicator(oral and written), organizational skills (lots of administrative tasks and site managment-creating files, keeping files current, query resolution, time sheets, expense reports.....), interpersonal skills (a biggie-whew-especially if you have lots of sites-dealing with the know it all coordinators), and technical knowledge (being able to interpret and execute the protocol). Time management is important also, but usually when you are going to the sites to monitor that pretty much is all that you have time to do, after you leave the site you are traveling home or to another site and it takes a lot of discipline to be able to do trip reports on the day that you monitor the sites, it is a good practice, but the only way that you will be able to really do it is to stay up late at night. So if you are traveling 3-4 days/week that leaves the weekend to complete trip reports, follow up on emails so that is easily a 60 hr/week at a minimum. This job is a good job because of pay, job stability, and flexibility, and travel. You do accumulate a lot of points with the airlines and hotels. Traveling is difficult these days with the airline delays so if you accept this job just know to expect this. Also, when traveling sometimes you have to drive to a location that is 1, 2, or even 3 hours from the airport. This is rare, but if you have a few sites it does happen. One time, I had to go to Jefferson City, MO(yuck!) and the first time I went it took me 3 flights to get there, the second time I went I had to fly into St. Louis and drive 3 hours. I usually do not check my luggage when I travel; you don't have time to worry about lost luggage. Plus when its time to get off the plane to go home, you just want to grab your bags &go

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

JE in Simpsonville, South Carolina

73 months ago

Another note of advice. Entering this profession is difficult if you do not have monitoring experience. Do not pay for those certification or training courses to train you to be a CRA and expect to get a job after completing the course. Take them for knowledge on GCP & FDA regs, but they will not help you get a job. What the recruiters are looking for on your resume is how many qualificatin, initiation (SIVs), routine/interim (RMVs/IMVs), and close-out (COVs) that you have completed. This tells them alot of information just from one question. It lets them know how much experience/travel you have completed. If you answer 0, then they know you have no monitoring experience. The most common visit is the routine/interim(RMV). So 50-65% travel would break down to 3-4 travel days/wk=12-16 days/month= 144 RMVs/year average. Then there are the data cuts which are always hectic pulling CRFs by the deadline making sure your sites answer the queries in 24 hours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No Reply - Report abuse

Clinical Research Associate in Austin, Texas

73 months ago

Check out www.Emissary.com for a series of articles about being a clinical research associate. The Adventures of SuperMonitor article gives a good description of what the typical day is like.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Victor in Australia

73 months ago

JE in Simpsonville, South Carolina said: Another note of advice. Entering this profession is difficult if you do not have monitoring experience. Do not pay for those certification or training courses to train you to be a CRA and expect to get a job after completing the course. Take them for knowledge on GCP & FDA regs, but they will not help you get a job. What the recruiters are looking for on your resume is how many qualificatin, initiation (SIVs), routine/interim (RMVs/IMVs), and close-out (COVs) that you have completed. This tells them alot of information just from one question. It lets them know how much experience/travel you have completed. If you answer 0, then they know you have no monitoring experience. The most common visit is the routine/interim(RMV). So 50-65% travel would break down to 3-4 travel days/wk=12-16 days/month= 144 RMVs/year average. Then there are the data cuts which are always hectic pulling CRFs by the deadline making sure your sites answer the queries in 24 hours.[/QUOTE

hello JE,
thoses are one of the best replies i read on this forum. they are of great help to the people like me who want to know about the job of CRA. But i could not get some terminologies you used which seem very important to get into the job.the terms RMVs, SIVs, IMVs,COVs what do they mean?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nitin Bansal in Sydney, Australia

73 months ago

Hi Victor,

Nice to know someone in Clinical Research here in Aus.
Well here is ur ans :

RMVs - Routine Monitoring Visits
SIV - Site Initiation Visits
IMV - Interim Monitoring Visits
COV - Close Out Visits

Well, where in aus u r. And wats go'g on these days.?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

mohammed in New Brunswick, New Jersey

72 months ago

Burned out CRA in Spokane, Washington said: You are a Study Coordinator, CRC, not a CRA. Perhaps you call it a CRA but your job description is for a CRC.

You are CORRECT. It is CRC not CRA !

72 months ago

Elvia Saravia in New York, New York said: I am very curious to know what type of SOPs CRA's get that are specific to now you need to monitor your site. I am a hospital-based coordinator and work with no SOP's. How do I get my hands on Standard SOP, which I can use as a guide to generate one for my site?
Thank you.

You can find Templets of SOPs online in google search.

72 months ago

Pankaj in Bangalore, India said: Hi Everyone, I am currently undergoing a diploma course for CRA, and I want to make my career in this field. This is indeed a very helpful conversation.

Hi Punkaj, welcome to the board !

72 months ago

jeya in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Hi,
I have read this and it seems like CRA's are traveling alot. Would this be a good job if you want to have a family life? Thanks for your tips!

NO....Not at all. Cra job is not good if you have a family : ))

72 months ago

Vaishali Parekh in Gaithersburg, Maryland said: thanks Mario for showing the other side of being a CRA, I have always heard about the lots of traveling side. When you mentioned the pay isn't the best, what exactly do you mean, is there a lot of difference between the two? I am a mom of two girls and i wanted some flexibility and i really want to work with clinical trials so i was thinking this would be a good field. And you have any suggestion as to how i should get started, i would really appreciate it.

Hi Vaishali,

If you have Family CRA is not a right job for you. You are on the road all the time so why dont you think of going for CDM?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

sweetgourd in Princeton, New Jersey said: Hi my girlfriend is getting into this field since she likes traveling. however she also agrees that in the long run it isn't the best choice for the family. so i am wondering what ppl would typically choose to do if they decide to quit? as it's been discussed, CRC is a downgrade in terms of the income. anything good suggestions what a CRA becomes after he/she quits?

She can go for CDM : ))

72 months ago

RAM in East Orange, New Jersey said: Hi folks, I have bs in pharmacy and cont. masters. I am graduating dec.2008. I am seriously thinking bout get in to CRA field. but after reading all you guys' feed back, i am thinkin bout do it or not? i want good family life and good salary. waiting for you guys' comments.

If you want a good family life then CRA is not right place for you. Consider of going in to Pharmacovigilance or CDM

mplt in Sydney, Australia

72 months ago

mohammed in New Brunswick, New Jersey said: Hi,

RAM want to have good family life. I think it is diffecult to have good family life being CRA.

I said earlier that being a CRA isn't great if you've got a family but i think i'm changing my mind a bit.

There's actually a lot of flexibility with the job -it's fairly easy to do this part time, you could probably find a company that needs a CRA where you live (assuming it's a large enough city) so you don't necessarily need to fly around that much and if you progress to being a trial manager you don't really need to make that many trips at all.

I think the key would be really understanding what you want and the demands of the job, then making sure that if you want to work for a particular company that both you and them understand what is expected and that both parties need to be flexible to make it work.

People in my company make these sorts of arrangements all the time so i think if you think about it it will work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nitin in Sydney, Australia

72 months ago

Hi mplt,

Can you please elaborate what sort of arrangements one should make with the employer to cut his travel time.
Well I am too in Sydney and work as CRC in SAH.
It will be great to have some networking with you.

elvia saravia in New York, New York

72 months ago

What is a CDM?

michelle in Edison, New Jersey

72 months ago

clinical data management

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

elvia saravia in New York, New York

72 months ago

Thank you. Do CDM's make comparable salaries to CRAs?

Skye Traveler in Sonoma, California

72 months ago

For reference, this sounds more like a CRC, or a Clinical Research Coordinator than a CRA...thus the lower pay, which is typical...that is typical.

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.