Contract CRA - what is the hourly rate? + other questions

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (22)

Phoebe Parker in Markham, Ontario

64 months ago

I've been a CRA for 2.5 years, mainly working for pharma. I wish to move on to contracting and found myself some companies. My questions are...

1) What should my hourly rate or range be? (I specialize in phase II & III oncology and rheumatology trials, have some project management experience but not a lot)

2) What is the usual rate out there?

3) Hourly rate for traveling differs (i.e. time on the road)? That was the question asked by one of the companies

4) What on-my-bill expenses should I expect? (I'm expecting internet, phone, small amount of photocopying. Any other major expenses hidden?)

5) Say I contracted a project, how would I know # of hours I will be paid? Will they give me an approx figure per site per month?

6) Is there anything else I'm missing? Please feel free to feed me as much information as you like

Big thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Paramus, New Jersey

64 months ago

carlos Holcomb in Simi Valley, California said: Hello. Under normal circumstances oncology I have normally billed $75+-hr for oncology work. Nowadays if you can find work for $65-hr you should consider it. There is less work available now than at anytime in my 17 years of industry work.
Cheers
Carlos

Carlos, I assume you mean the rates as a 1099 contractor correct? I have been in pharma for roughly 4 years doing CRA-related work, as in biometrics project coordinator, Clinical research assistant, and a company is offering me $45/hourly as a w-2 contractor (the staffing agency). what do you think?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

lanfear in Sicklerville, New Jersey

64 months ago

I'm pretty sure it is 1099 work because for W2 work, I am seeing anything from $35-$45/hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Katie in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

44 months ago

1) What should my hourly rate or range be? Since you only have two years experience, you can't ask for a lot- I would suggest asking for $70 and negotiating down from there

2) What is the usual rate out there? Usually contractors have at least 5-10 years experience. They should be getting $75 an hours

3) Hourly rate for traveling differs (i.e. time on the road)? This is a new trick. Some companies are trying to pay you only half time for travel. But with all the connections you have to make, cancelled flights, and delays, you could end up hurting if you accept half time for pay.

4) What on-my-bill expenses should I expect? (I'm expecting internet, phone, small amount of photocopying. Any other major expenses hidden?) Don't forget about postage, travel booking fees (unless they provide a travel service)

5) Say I contracted a project, how would I know # of hours I will be paid? Will they give me an approx figure per site per month? Yes, you will ask for a waiver if you think any of your sites need more and they will amend the contract

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

stefan in Dublin, Ireland

43 months ago

and how many hours do you do in a week? average. thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Aic in Coral Gables, Florida

35 months ago

1099 or hourly W2...

1) If you're in drugs, oncology is definitely the way to go. $70/hr. would definitely be the minimum to accept.

2) I've been in both drugs and devices. For drugs, I’ve pretty much maxed at $72/hr. Devices on the other hand (which i am currently on) seem to pay more in my region with $90/hr. being a very attainable rate. Current company pays time and a half which shoots rate to $135. Average work week consists of 60 hours. Bi-weekly travel is usually in the 15 hour range.

3) Travel rate is usually 80% of your hourly rate. Some companies go as low as 50%.

4) Don't forget office supplies... you'll find that toner for your printer and fax will go quite quick.

5) I'm sure you'll have access to a system where you can input work and travel hours.

6) If you contract and you're good at what you do... be prepared to be offered a position with the company. I've always found it difficult turning them down. I find that this line of work should be billed hourly since we do tend to work so much. Even if offered $100k+; at 60 hours a week I don't really see it as a win-win. I'll stick to my $300k and get my own benefits, thank you very much :)

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

susan in Lebanon, Ohio

33 months ago

Is there a standard contract form I will need to use on a 1099 contract? Do I fill it out or will the company present me with the contract?
thanks

KS in Davidson, North Carolina

32 months ago

Hi there - in response to Q5 below: I am a team lead for a few contract CRAs. When we bring them on-board I have to complete a document of parameters for them to agree to and sign, based on the study budget for # hours on-site, # hours travel, # hours in-house, etc. There is some flexibility, but that can be project-specific. For example, if the CRA is trying to get to a small town in the middle of Arkansas and connecting flights are the only option available - they may have to go over the allotted travel hours. But you should have this discussion with your team lead/project manager. You should be able to calculate your billable hours based on # hrs budgeted X # sites X monitoring visit window.

Hope this is helpful for you or someone else on this message board!

5) Say I contracted a project, how would I know # of hours I will be paid? Will they give me an approx figure per site per month?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cra job seeker in Plano, Texas

31 months ago

comment to AIC IN CORAL GABLES!

Dear AIC, can you please mentor me in regards to the clinical research field? I'm new to this field and would really appreciate a mentor : )

Thank you!

alice in Durham, North Carolina

28 months ago

I am considering contract CRA W-2 with 13 years of monitoring experience, oncology. i need to know if I must purchase workers compensation in addition to health, disability,and life insurance. I have entered a variety of search terms but am not finding the information I need. A friend of mine contracts via the same group. I asked him to look at his paycheck. He did. there was no workers comp taken out of it. If anyone has experience with this issue, I would greatly appreciate feedback. If I need to purchase workers comp insurance, what questions do I need to ask,is it better to purchase via an insurance group or via state?

Thanks

NV-GCP in Hollywood, Florida

25 months ago

Hey there AIC!

I'm just up the road from you in Broward, and was wondering if you'd be willing to share some more of your CRA wisdom with me offline (phone, email, etc.). I've got about 3.5 yrs of monitoring under my belt, plus a few years of Regulatory Affairs, and my current role as an internal gcp auditor. I've been thinking of doing some contract work on the side and was looking here on Indeed to see how others got started, whether they've formed LLC's or other corporate entities, etc.

Anyway, thanks, in advance, for any advice you can lend!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

BlueRoosterCult in Lawrence, Kansas

24 months ago

I really appreciate this forum. I've been a monitor for 12 years, exclusively with CRO's. I've been thinking about going the contracting route (several times) and am always a bit intimidated by the process of getting started. The contractors I have known have always told me to go for it, but they never really outline the process very well. I'm mostly concerned about setting up as a 1099, not W-2. Can anyone outline the steps to take?

Thank you in advance.

Clinical Monitor in Pompano Beach, Florida

21 months ago

Hello AIC,

I reside in florida as well, and I need your expert advice on contract work. Do in-house CRA contract positions qualify for per diem. How about regional monitors?

Also I am trying to get into medical device. I have 10 years of monitoring experience all pharma.

Help!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ruby in Lynnwood, Washington

4 months ago

I have 8 years of monitoring experience both pharma and medical device. I want to start working as a contract CRA now, but do not know how to start and my biggest apprehension is health insurance for me and my family ect. can you please guide me how to start into contract position or some agencies which I can apply for contract CRA positions. Are contract CRA's eligible for unemployment benefits in case a contract ends?

SDV-er in Chicago, Illinois

4 months ago

Hi Ruby,

You would be 100% responsible for finding your own insurance for you and your family (check spouse's options first as that's usually where you'll find the only price under $100/month.

You would NOT be eligible for unemployment when a contract ends. You would need to line up your next contract before your current one ends, or you get your "vacation time" (always unpaid, of course) between contract start and stop dates.

4 months ago

Thanks so much...

4 months ago

Thanks for the advise, do you know any device or oncology contracting companies.

lnyounai in Avon, Indiana

4 months ago

Dear Rudy,
Can you please talk to me about the details of this contract?

my e:mail: Leopoldine_nyounai@yahoo.com

Kind regards,

Leopoldine

shiela in East Brunswick, New Jersey

3 months ago

Hi everyone! I actually came across this board and so glad I did. I think I would def like to think about contracting in the near future. I need some help getting started..how do I get my foot in the door as a CRA in a cro/pharma? Any tips? I've having a tough time getting in..

2 months ago

Hello Sheila,

If you are looking for getting your entry level position as a CRA in pharma or at a CRO, you are at least 5 years away from y

2 months ago

*** your first contracting job. In order to get in, I suggest to never let your spirits get down and keep applying nationwide. There are very few positions for people who have never been a CRA before. In the meantime, get a job as a regulatory assistant or data coordinator at a pharma or CRO and try to work your way up internally.

Smkanewman in Cleveland, Ohio

1 month ago

Glad I found the thread thanks all for the info... I am a Sr CRA currently not contract

So I have 3 years of working with the very big CRO's and prior to that 5 years as a CCRC and hold my RN license.
I was just presented with my first CRA contract and apprehensive? Do I get an accountant & lawyer?! Does anyone carry disability insurance since I will loose that policy? Are the rates listed towards the top still in line now and should I know something else walking into this to prevent being taken advantage of the first go around?!

For those who have worked in contract what's thing you wish you knew when getting started if you could pay it forward?!

And feedback would be GREAT!
Susan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.