contract clinical rates

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

dc pharma professional in Washington, District of Columbia

71 months ago

How do you find out what contract CRA/project managers get paid? I have 10+ years of CRA/project management experience and have been talking with a few folks about working on a contract basis. They keep asking me what my rate is and I have no idea how much is resonable. Any thoughts on what the going rate is or how to find out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Josh Coker in Little Elm, Texas

71 months ago

Normally it will depend on your therapy expertise and experience together. If you have a recruiter trying to sell you to an employer you normally will get more than you would be able to get on your own.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

contract cra in Cary, North Carolina

71 months ago

Normally it will depend on your therapy expertise and experience together. If you have a recruiter trying to sell you to an employer you normally will get more than you would be able to get on your own.

Not true. Cutting out third parties leaves more on the table. It's all in negotiations and experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Josh Coker in Little Elm, Texas

71 months ago

thus where having a third party knowing how much a contract CRA is worth and which companies are hiring them is more beneficial than mass placing a CV. If you dont have the negotiation experience how can say it would leave more money on the table? Thats exactly what a third party does for you. Third parties get you out of the black pool of applicants since they sell you to the hiring manager ( who they usually know and talk to on a regular basis )and they get the most that they can for you since they are directly paid on how much they get you. This is our job.. to get the most money for a CRA ... get them asap into a company that matches their experience ... and to know what companies are hiring them ... how can that not be beneficial to a contract CRA? Expecially to the ones who dont know where to get a good paying job or ones who dont know how much they can get for that job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Vital Systems Inc. in Chicago, Illinois

70 months ago

DC Pharma Professional - how successful have you been in finding new opportunities. Vital Systems, a CRO located in suburban Chicago, is looking to develop partnerships with contract CRAs and Project Mgrs. While I don't have any immediate needs, I want to build up a partnerships with contractors so that I can tap into them when the need arises, e.g. new projects, increased project scope, etc. We're looking to bring on many new projects in 2009, so we'll need experienced people to help execute them. Send me your CV (jobs@vtlsys.com) and what you're charging (or thinking of charging) as a contractor. I'd love to review your credentials and get back to you to see if a partnership makes sense.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Albuquerque, New Mexico

70 months ago

Here's the concrete scoop: lots of contract CRAs who have tons of experience make $80+. Don't charge less than $65 - that's what lots of CRAs were making 5-6-7 years ago and are still making today. $70 - $75 is reasonable.

Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lanfear in Sicklerville, New Jersey

60 months ago

When you say contract CRA, are you speaking 1099 or W2? I am asking because I see contract CRA work for $35-40/hour. I believe most of these are W2.

Alicia Edwards in Olympia Fields, Illinois

59 months ago

First let me briefly explain the difference between the types of contracts:
W-2 Employee: You are an employee of the broker selected by your client (e.g., Clinical Recruitment Company). Your wages are subject to the same tax withholdings as a regular employee.
1099: Is a sole proprietorship is an unincorporated business that is owned by one individual. The business has no existence apart from you, the owner. Its liabilities are your personal liabilities.
Corp-to-Corp means that your client, a corporation, pays your business, which is organized as a corporation, for the services rendered by you. Once you incorporate, you and your business become two entirely different and separate legal entities.
Now with this said, contract CRA hourly rates vary depending on a number of variables: (1) Type of contract (e.g., W-2, 1099, or Corp-to-Corp); (2) Years of specific therapeutic; (3) Years of “monitoring” industry experience; and (4)The profit-margin or “spread” of the clinical recruitment company in which you find the contract through (if applicable). The 5th variable to be considered is the direct contract. In a direct corp-to-corp contract, you the corporate business entity strike a direct agreement with the Sponsor or CRO; no clinical recruiter involved (nets much higher rates because there is no middle man involved).
W-2 rates will always be the lowest because you will most likely receive company benefits (e.g., health, dental, and etc.). W-2 rates can vary between $50 - $65/hour.
1099 rates are slightly higher. They typically range between $60-$80/hour.
Corp-to-Corp rates are the highest. They can range between approximately $60-$110/hour.
I’ve tried to be as complete as possible. However, for the sake of clarity I've had to make some pretty broad simplifications. This business structure information stated is to present the basic knowledge you should consider. Remember information is not advice. Consult with your own accountant or tax professional if you wa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alicia Edwards in Olympia Fields, Illinois

59 months ago

Here's is the remainder of my message...

if you want professional assurances about the information presented here, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation.
Best Regards,
Alicia Edwards
Founder and CEO
Independent Clinical Research Associates, Inc.
Blog: thecracoach.wordpress.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shoana in Chicago, Illinois

57 months ago

Hi ther..
I am in need of some help to start my career. I am a fresh graduate with M.S. in Pharmacology and looking forward to work as a CRA. I would like to know, are there any consulting firms for training and placement? if so, do they sponsor H1B visas for F1 students/ OPTs. Your wise suggestions would be immensely appreciated.
Thanks one and all........

Abbu in Chicago, Illinois

57 months ago

Hi Shoana im in the same boat as you. I had got some information regarding this. If you can exchange email we can discuss.Thanks

Abbu in Chicago, Illinois

57 months ago

Shoana in Chicago, Illinois said: Hi ther..
I am in need of some help to start my career. I am a fresh graduate with M.S. in Pharmacology and looking forward to work as a CRA. I would like to know, are there any consulting firms for training and placement? if so, do they sponsor H1B visas for F1 students/ OPTs. Your wise suggestions would be immensely appreciated.
Thanks one and all........

Hi Shoana im in the same boat as you. I had got some information regarding this. If you can exchange email we can help each other.Thanks

Manoj in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

55 months ago

Hi Shoana
How is your search going? Did you find anyone to sponser you H1B. If so can you please share your exp. I will really appreciate it.

MK

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.