Let's talk money!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

brookdm in Ravenna, Ohio

32 months ago

I just interviewed for a cra position- 60-80% non local travel- home base in Cincinnati. Can anyone give me ideas on what typical pay would/could be? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Randy in Saint Peters, Missouri

32 months ago

Hello,

Salary depends heavily on the number of years experience you have as a CRA, the numbers of years experience in other clinical research positions and degrees that you hold. Can you give us that information?

If you have less than 2 years as a CRA (the CROs located in Cinci are a good place to get your CRA career started), I would expect $50k at the absolute minimum if you've never worked as a CRA before, up to $65k if you have a full two years in as a CRA.

If you have more than 3 years experience as a CRA, I would ask for at least $75k.

At 6+ years experience, you should earn roughly double what you did as a CRA 1.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

brookdm in Ravenna, Ohio

32 months ago

I would be "brand new" in the field- I'm coming with a couple years experience in the hospital as registered nurse w/ my BSN. I really want this- but with the travel involved- the money would have to be there. Do you feel advancement happens "regularly"?

Randy in Saint Peters, Missouri

32 months ago

Hi Brooke,

Thanks for the additional information.

I think it's likely they will start you out a $45-50k, maybe more if you have an exceptionally strong oncology background.

Since you are new, I'll give you the different level of the job. Typically, if you do your job, your audits go well (auditors will regularly come behind you to check your performance, many without prior notification/warning), and meet all your deadlines, you will get promoted to the next level every two years. Because of the competition between CROs, if you don't get the promotion one place, you can apply elsewhere and get the promotion you want by changing companies.

CRA 1: 0-2 years experience as a CRA
CRA 2: 2-5 years (this is the stage where you will go homebased and will not need to be located in any specific area- it's also really nice to work from your bedroom and go to work in your pj's)
CRA 3: 3-6 years
Senior CRA 1 : 4-6 years
Senior CRA 2 : 5-7 years
From this stage, you can go in two directions, pursue management or go to a principle CRA or contract CRA role. This is the stage in your career that you can plan to travel less than 2 days a week.

When it comes to travel, trust me- you have to love it and you have to enjoy spending a large amount of time alone. CRAs do not regularly travel together when training stage has passed. Some newbies struggle with all the time alone, eating alone in a strafe city and not getting to see kids/spouse on weekdays. Basically, you go to the airport Monday morning and get back home Thursday at midnight- every week without exception.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JP78 in Warren, Rhode Island

32 months ago

I'd say ask for $55k, be happy with $50k

On the Road Again in Austin, Texas

30 months ago

If it starts with an M I'll be surprised if you get anywhere near 50.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lima in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

30 months ago

On the road, Can you clarify.... Do you mean if the company starts with an M?

Mather in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

26 months ago

Hi- I am interested in leaning about salary ranges from other CRAs. Can you anonymously post:
-# of years in Clinical Research
-# of years as a CRA
-highest degree
-state, country

Anon Salary

17 months ago

2 years in clinical research as a CRC.
0 years as a CRA.
Master of Science
Austin, TX

Offered 50k for my first CRA job. Negotiated to 52k.
Not home based.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.