Recruiters - CRA positions

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

TJ123 in California

29 months ago

Hi,

I had a lengthy phone interview with a recruiter at a big CRO, and all seemed to go very well throughout our talk. The recruiter had mentioned the next step was to pass this onto the hiring managers and I would hear back from her by the following it. It has just hit the 2-week mark, and I am more than anxious to hear back anything from them. The recruiter did state I would hear back from them good or bad, and that they were looking at hiring a handful of CRAs. Just wondering what is going on on their end, as I really am hoping to get something back so I can breathe.

Anyone know of typical wait times? Or people with previous recruiting experience care to give their 2 cents?

Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mather in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

29 months ago

The average time it took me to go from putting my application in to the time I got my offer letter was typically about a month.

However, I've never used a recruiter. Remember, recruiters don't work for you- they work for the company that does the hiring. Since you are at the two week mark, go ahead and reach out to your recruiter to see what they've found out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

TJ123 in California

29 months ago

Thanks. Finally got word back from the recruiter: well qualified but they are no longer hiring. Better than hearing nothing at all and being left in the dark I suppose. Back to the drawing board. A little frustrated because I thought this would be my break into the CRA field. I fill like I should apply for the clinical trials assitant positions out there, but it would not feel like a lateral move considering I heard many places hire study coordinators as well and I would rather build experience here until another CRA opportunity comes about.

29 months ago

Hi TJ,

To get into a CRA role, I suggest to start out EITHER as a CRC or a CTA. You do not need experience in both positions - just two years in any role in clinical research where you learn the industry, meet CRAs, etc. is enough to get your first CRA job. The hardest thing is putting yourself out there at the right place at the right time for a company that wants to take a chance on you.

If you are currently a CRC, I would stick with it. I agree that going from a CRC to a CTA role would feel like back tracking and I wouldn't suggest it unless you have a strong interest in the role.

TJ123 in California

28 months ago

Thanks, Mather. Yes, continuing to reach out to CRAs I work with hoping someone will take a chance sooner or later.

Do you recommend going for SoCRA certification? With my previous experience I am qualified to become a member and feel like it wouldn't hurt to have that on the resume.

28 months ago

Go for it!!!

clkentrn@cox.net in North Kingstown, Rhode Island

28 months ago

TJ123 in California said: Thanks, Mather. Yes, continuing to reach out to CRAs I work with hoping someone will take a chance sooner or later.

Do you recommend going for SoCRA certification? With my previous experience I am qualified to become a member and feel like it wouldn't hurt to have that on the resume.

certificate of completion telling everyone you know what you are doing!!!!!!!!!!!!
No I don't recommend it because the cost is outrages and the NIH.gov offers you a self paced program that gives you a certificate once you have completed the course. it is FREE and just as respected as what you pay any other organization so much money to prove to the industry you know what you are doing and talking about!!!!!!!!!!
I am amazed at how quickly people are so willing to throw away their money for something on the .gov site can give it to you for free. In my book it's a no brainer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

Hi Clkentm,

I just want to provide some clarification here. The SoCRA or ACRP certification is NOT a certificate of completion and they hold a much higher standard than the course at NIH.gov. The NIH course holds a significantly different purpose than professional certification, thus, they are not comparable. Also, a certificate is NOT equivalent to a certification. The NIH certificate course is GREAT for a newbie to the clinical research field, but it does not hold the same prestige as being certified by a professional society.

Personally, I believe that ACRP is a great professional society than ACRP in terms of resources and presence in the clinical research industry. I find their networking events, forum, and monthly magazine to be of an exceptional quality. They also hold great potential for finding your next job and other career advising. In order to sit for their certification exam and to be called a CCRA, you need two years of proven CRA experience and pass a rigorous test. Sponsors value this certification most because it has met the criteria of being recognized by the National Commission of Certifying Agencies.

SoCRA certification seems to be best for other clinical research professionals wishing to make a transition into another area of the field and it also seems very common among University research staff, which is why I recommended it to TJ. The CCRP designation is a good catch-all for displaying basic knowledge about the regulations.

*** Just as a word of caution- any other company out there that offers CRA certificates other than ACRP or SoCRA is likely selling you a scam. ACRP and SoCRA are the only recognized professional certifications in the field of clinical research and are the only grantors of CCRA or CCRP ***

Monali in Jersey City, New Jersey

27 months ago

TJ123 in California said: Hi,

I had a lengthy phone interview with a recruiter at a big CRO, and all seemed to go very well throughout our talk. The recruiter had mentioned the next step was to pass this onto the hiring managers and I would hear back from her by the following it. It has just hit the 2-week mark, and I am more than anxious to hear back anything from them. The recruiter did state I would hear back from them good or bad, and that they were looking at hiring a handful of CRAs. Just wondering what is going on on their end, as I really am hoping to get something back so I can breathe.

Anyone know of typical wait times? Or people with previous recruiting experience care to give their 2 cents?

Thank you!

Hi..I am looking for position in CRA or any consultant that help me to get a job.I just finished my MS in Medical Microbiology.Can you help me out with anything??

nikki in Mission Viejo, California

26 months ago

Hey, I am in California, and want to enter into clinical research field. Can u pl. share some info about recruiters in this field.

Also, being new to this field, what course of study should I follow? I already have a PH. D in neuroscience.
Any suggestions would help.
Thankx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mather

26 months ago

Hi Nikki,

With a PhD, no additional education or training is necessary. In fact, ou already look over qualified for 90% of clinical research job openings.

When it comes to recruiters, I wouldn't waste your time with them. I would apply to all the biotech and sponsors that focus on neuro devices or drugs.

Kurapika in Santa Monica, California

25 months ago

I'm a CRC (I work on behalf of the sponsor coordinating its study sites- not the coordinator that work for a site). Anyways, I find it very difficult to go from a CRC to CRA because all the CRA jobs out there require 2+ yrs monitoring experience. As far as I know CRC's don't do any monitoring. Could anyone comment on how to start a career in CRA (w/o prior monitoring experience). I have a MS in Clinical Research & CCRP certified, 3 years as CRC...

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.