Switching from PM in Clinical research in Academia to industry

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Maripa in Boston, Massachusetts

14 months ago

Ok..here is my conundrum...I am currently a Clinical Research PM in the academic hospital and have been here for a few years now. I have a master degree in Biotechnology and always thought I wanted to eventually break into the industry. Well, I have an offer on the table for a Sr. Clinical Trial Coordinator in one of the consulting companies but working for a big pharma company on assignment. I will roughly be making the same but I just wonder if I am making the step in the right direction. I spoke with the recruiter and she told me that since i do not have industry experience, no one will hire me as a project lead, which is reasonable. But if I do take this job, will I be able to advance to the PM role or will I be then stuck because now my resume has a lower level job on it? Desperate to hear from you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Maripa in Boston, Massachusetts

14 months ago

Anyone? Please advise:)

Martina in Holyoke, Massachusetts

14 months ago

Maripa,

I have to give you one of those sappy, "do whatever makes you happy" answers. Never take a job you won't like for the hopes of getting promoted to another job. Sometimes you have to pay your dues in lower level positions, but this career change you are contemplating will practically be like switching industries because there are few similarities between the way academia does research and the way the big for-profits do business.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.