Do I need to become a RN for clinical research?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

MYin in Portland, Oregon

18 months ago

Hi everyone,

I am a recent MPH graduate (Master of Public Health) and I am really interested in pursing a career in clinical research. However, I found most clincial research positions posted online are required to have RN. I am wondering if I want to enter the field of clincial research, do I need to go back to school again for nursing program ( I don't whant to go back to school since I have just completed my master degree training)? Do I have any alternative pathway for this career? Does anyone has suggestions for me? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mather in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

18 months ago

What position (or types of job responsibilities) do you aspire to pursue in the clinical research field?

MYin in Portland, Oregon

18 months ago

I would like to conduct clinical research using patients' medical information. Previously, I had an internship where I helped senior researchers collect patient's information and conduct data analysis. I want to find a job like that, but mostly they require the applicants have RN. I don't have nursing background and I realized that it might take me another 3 years to complete the nursing program.Is that really going be helpful?

Magi in Worcester, Massachusetts

18 months ago

I think the RN route is best for people that want to go the CRC -> CRA route and is unnecessary for the type of research you want to do. CRCs need this background becuase many are actually providing healthcare, doing blood draws and educating patients about the investigational products they are taking. You won't interact with patients. I think all you would need is documented education on medical terminology to get into the research that is more epidemiological in nature, with past cases or evaluating hospital policies, etc. that interests you.

I would suggest doing a nationwide search in academic medical centers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.