Are clinical research coordinator job opportunities growing or declining?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most clinical research coordinator opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

Carolynn Thomas Jones in Birmingham, Alabama

78 months ago

Academic medical centers will always have the most jobs for coordinators. They typically prefer RNs. I believe that this industry will continue to rise with the development of gene therapies, new pathways. This is a great career avenue, but some think that coordinators have an easier job. If easier is the goal- then you are in the wrong field. It is the type of job that you don't get to leave behind as you leave the office- the to-do lists grow- the pace is fast and the demands are high. Protocols seem to be more complex now- compared to 20 years ago. Regulatory requirements are heavier. Bioethical issues are more complex and require diligent and honest approaches to problem solving. I think you will see the most growth in cardiology, immunology and cancer research- but other areas are also growing. A good journal to show trends in industry is R&D Directions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

FYIs in San Francisco, California

69 months ago

I agree with Carolynn's response that academic medical centers are usually looking for CRCs. However, at my institution, the turnover seems to be about 2 years since most CRCs tend to either make the transition to industry where compensation is substantially higher or they pursue other advanced degrees; e.g. medical/nursing school.

I also agree that a CRCs workload is pretty intense since at some academic institutions CRCs seem to have a hand in everything from administrative to patient care. I've discovered that vacations are not easy to come by as you have to plan for coverage when you're out, and god forbid if the PI wants to start someone on a trial while you're out of the office or if one of your patients has an AE!

But becoming a CRC requires you to be a jack of all trades. You are exposed to every possible aspect in clinical research - regulatory, trial management, drug safety, data management, etc. This in itself can make you a very marketable candidate when exploring other clinical research professions.

Bottom line, it's definitely a foot in the door and it's part of paying your dues, but it can be rewarding with the right perspective and attitude. Sometimes you have to opt for the opportunity versus the pay to get the end result that you want. And don't forget, that as a CRC, you will be rubbing elbows with CRAs from industry who come out to monitor your site. This poses great networking opportunities and potential referrals if you produce quality work and have a great professional relationship with your monitor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kay in Havertown, Pennsylvania

40 months ago

Institutions tend to hire Internal Candidates from within. By law they have to post the position even if they are promoting someone. I've had
no luck after years of experience and know every aspect of clinical research. Also, I hold an ACRP certification as a CRC with a medical degree.

Since the recession hit, I have not even seen any posted jobs. What do
I do now being older and unemployed for several years?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

James in Seattle, Washington

37 months ago

Kay, you really aren't seeing any clinical research coordinator jobs? Why haven't you taken a clinical research assistant or clinical trial assistant job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

kokopan in Los Angeles, California

37 months ago

So I've been looking for any jobs related to medical/clinical research and it is really tough. I've had a bunch of rejections probably because of not having the right certificates, not fluent in spanish, or not having enough experience. I have an MD degree from a foreign country and recently decided to not do residency training (due to repeatedly not being able to match into any training program). I have passed usmle I & II and ecfmg certified.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on how I can break into the field of research? I've applied to many job listings for medical/clinical/pharma research assistant & associate positions but the response has been nil. I do have some clinical research experience & lab research during college but they were minor roles and I didn't publish any papers. Please HELP!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.