How did you get into the field?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (46)

Cynthia Beecher in Kennewick, Washington

80 months ago

Lisa in Cambridge, Massachusetts said: Hello

I am looking into clinical research as a possible career move and was wondering what type of background everyone has? Can you tell me what your job is like and what you do?

Thanks!

I am an oncology nurse in a private clinic. Our research coordinator left abruptly and they asked me to fill in. The job is dealing with a lot of little details. If you are a highly organized person who loves details, you'll do well. If not, it may not be the position for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nauman in Richmond, Virginia

80 months ago

Hi I am a foreign Medical Graduate and I'm currently taking an online course for Clinical research Coordination and Monitoring from Michigan State University.
A few friends of mine who are also from the same Med school as mine are already working as clinical research coordinators even without taking a course but I had some difficulty finding a CRC position because I had no experience working in the United States.Can anyone tell me how to go about getting my foot into the clinical research field ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (140) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Carolynn Thomas Jones in Birmingham, Alabama

77 months ago

Lisa in Cambridge, Massachusetts said: Hello

I am looking into clinical research as a possible career move and was wondering what type of background everyone has? Can you tell me what your job is like and what you do?

Thanks!

Originally I was a CCU nurse (in the mid 1980s)- the PI and his coordinators recruited me from the floor. I did not know clinical research was a career option. I've been doing it ever since. I recruited coordinators from the floors in which I was seeking study participants. I've also found some from ADs and word of mouth- and I've recruited coordinators from other research positions. If you have a years worth of nursing experience, you can find loads of clinical research coordinator (manager) jobs at local universities or SMOs like Radiant Research- by looking on their joblines. There is a shortage of clinical research coordinators. Then you need to become good at what you do- and you will have great job security and great salaries!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

L N in Tampa, Florida

77 months ago

Carolynn Thomas Jones in Birmingham, Alabama said: Originally I was a CCU nurse (in the mid 1980s)- the PI and his coordinators recruited me from the floor. I did not know clinical research was a career option. I've been doing it ever since. I recruited coordinators from the floors in which I was seeking study participants. I've also found some from ADs and word of mouth- and I've recruited coordinators from other research positions. If you have a years worth of nursing experience, you can find loads of clinical research coordinator (manager) jobs at local universities or SMOs like Radiant Research- by looking on their joblines. There is a shortage of clinical research coordinators. Then you need to become good at what you do- and you will have great job security and great salaries!

Hi
I have had the hardest time getting a clinical research position. I was recently told that I was overqualified for a research nurse coordinator position (I hold a BSN + PhD with >9y experience as a molecular biologist)? Feeling rather frustrated for leaving the bench at this point..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

I-Med Placement Services in Syracuse, New York

76 months ago

L N,

I have a client who is looking for a person with your background. Can you please call me at 315-569-0948 or e-mail me at imedplacementservices@gmail.com. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cara in Austin, Texas

74 months ago

What position should I inquire about to make a lateral career move from project coordination in a marketing and software field into medical research? I have obsessed with medical research for awhile, my mother was an RN in rehab and occupational health. I never wanted to practice, just interested in research and development. My degree, alas, is in Art. Is there any hope of a lateral move now with education possibilities? Should I just go back to school full-time?

Also, nowhere I have found so far in my research says that a certification is necessary, is it just a "given" to know this?

Thanks,
Cara

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lawrence Sarpong in Chicago, Illinois

69 months ago

Hello,

I am looking for an entry level role in clinical trials management. I have a BS in Healthcare Management and i am currently enrolled in a graduate certification program in clinical trials managment at the University of Chicago, due to graduate in July of '09. Can anyone assist with some advise? This will be a career change as i have been in marketing and sales for the past 9 years.
Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

spandana vootukuri in San Antonio, Texas

69 months ago

Hi all,
I am Spandana Reddy, I have done my Masters in Biotechnology from Texas. I am looking forward to doing clinical research ceritification. I am completely new to clinical field and I need your suggestion about this field and the if my choice of CRA is right or is there some other certification or course I can do to get into the clinical research field.

Thank you,
Spandana

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ecilaalrak in Glen Ellyn, Illinois

69 months ago

Hi,

I have an extensive medical background and I volunteered as a Public Health Educator at Northwestern University in Chicago for a few months.
I am currently volunteering as a Clinical Research Assistant at University of Chicago.
I have a Bachelor degree in the medical Field from Europe and an internship- a total of 7 years in the medical field.
I am trying to get a job in Clinical Research field, but is very difficult.
Any suggestions are going to be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

carmelacr in Wayne, Pennsylvania

68 months ago

I am looking for a position with a Pharmaceutical Company in Research and Development. I have almost 2 years experience with a Pharmaceutical Service company. I am finding it to be very hard to break into. Any Ideas?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pisano in Roanoke, Virginia

68 months ago

Hello,
I work in a small pain management clinic. Two MDs and two PAs. How an we get involved in being a site for clinical trials? Is there a certification course we can take?

Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

nathan9 in Yonkers, New York

62 months ago

hey i am a certified cra , i would like to join the clinical research field and i've got almost 3 years of experience in this field , and also i 've got a bachelor's degree in dental surgery , so any one of you can help me with this

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sambeet Mohanty in United Kingdom

56 months ago

Hi
I have done my Master in Pharmaceutical analysis from Starthclyde Uni,Scotland and working as a QA Scientist in Glaxo Smithkline, worthing,UK.I am really interested to join in Clinical Research field.Can anyone guide me what I have to do to get in to it.
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

nlak in Dallas, Texas

56 months ago

spandana vootukuri in San Antonio, Texas said: Hi all,
I am Spandana Reddy, I have done my Masters in Biotechnology from Texas. I am looking forward to doing clinical research ceritification. I am completely new to clinical field and I need your suggestion about this field and the if my choice of CRA is right or is there some other certification or course I can do to get into the clinical research field.

Thank you,
Spandana

Hi Spandana,
Did u get any comments, I'am in a similar situation and was looking forward for some guidence.

Thanks
Nlak

A.K. in Lombard, Illinois

54 months ago

pisano in Roanoke, Virginia said: Hello,
I work in a small pain management clinic. Two MDs and two PAs. How an we get involved in being a site for clinical trials? Is there a certification course we can take?

Thank you

Please visit:
www.GlobalClinicalTrialist.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

A.K. in Lombard, Illinois

54 months ago

Nauman in Richmond, Virginia said: Hi I am a foreign Medical Graduate and I'm currently taking an online course for Clinical research Coordination and Monitoring from Michigan State University.
A few friends of mine who are also from the same Med school as mine are already working as clinical research coordinators even without taking a course but I had some difficulty finding a CRC position because I had no experience working in the United States.Can anyone tell me how to go about getting my foot into the clinical research field ?

Please visit:

www.GlobalClinicalTrialist.com

D.B in Los Angeles, California

54 months ago

Hello everyone.
I have been enjoying reading this thread and the CRA thread and thought I would post in my questions.
I have my BA in Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology with 8 years experience at the bench in a variety of research programs. Currently work (until the end of the month) in cancer research with human samples/subjects and am looking to move into the CRC/CRA area.

Any suggestions on how best to find a position for someone like me?
I have basic knowledge of a lot of the paperwork that goes into clinical trials, just have not been the one responsible for keeping track of it all (just filled out my stuff as I started new protocols, modified protocols etc..) But I learn fast and work hard.

TIA

D.

funnynurse in Las Vegas, Nevada

51 months ago

L N in Tampa, Florida said: Hi
I have had the hardest time getting a clinical research position. I was recently told that I was overqualified for a research nurse coordinator position (I hold a BSN + PhD with >9y experience as a molecular biologist)? Feeling rather frustrated for leaving the bench at this point..

Why dont to try teaching at a college that is doing research and see if you can get in that way. With your PHD you should not have a hard time finding a job in teaching. good luck

Patricia

51 months ago

Hey: Don't give up. Keep on trying. When employeers said you are overqualified is that they know your value and have to pay you more.For sure you will get something soon. There is a lot of positions offered in Florida for CSC that requires your background.However July is almost near the corner and Pharmaceutical companies start new studies,and Research Centers hire more CSC. Be patient and fill proud to be overqualified....as you have a great growing potential in front of you.Suggestion: Try to become a member of ACRP or SOCRA. That could also helps. Think about it and good luck!

PASSIONATE in Ocoee, Florida

48 months ago

Thanks to everyone for their comments! I'm a recent grad (BS Psychology) with minimal clinical research experience (summer research fellowship). I absolutely love this field and I am eager to find a job as a CRC so I can begin climbing the ladder!!! My plan is to find a CRC job to get some work experience on my resume, get certified , and start planning for graduate school (fall 2011 hopefully). I am debating between getting a Masters in Public Health or Masters in Clinical Research. Either way, I want to dedicate my life to research and I need advice as to which direction to take.
Where should I look for jobs? How can I prove that my qualifications are enough to be hired at the entry level? What are some good resume builders that will improve my chances of getting accepted into grad school? Any advice from those who've been in my shoes would be greatly appreciated!!!!

LAT in East Weymouth, Massachusetts

48 months ago

PASSIONATE: My "unofficial" recommendation would be that you continue on for a Master's in Public Health. Here's why, for the past 9 months I've been looking for work as a Clinical Research assistant. I've been in Pharmaceuticals for many years and just needed a break from all the travel. I thought this would be a simple transition as I have a great deal of scientific knowledge as well as many different disease states. I'm very skilled at interpreting the data from clinical trials as well. My undergrad degree is in English Literature and research was a big part of my daily studies. Here's the thing...every job I applied to as a Clinical Researcher or CRA, I was turned down because I needed to have a degree in a "related" field. What I've found by networking and talking with employers is that a Master's in Public Health will open many more doors for you. That degree will allow you to work in many other jobs, clinical jobs, private practice, so many opportunities. I'm considering the same Master's at this point. Good luck with your future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PASSIONATE in Orlando, Florida

48 months ago

LAT in East Weymouth, Massachusetts said: PASSIONATE: My "unofficial" recommendation would be that you continue on for a Master's in Public Health. Here's why, for the past 9 months I've been looking for work as a Clinical Research assistant. I've been in Pharmaceuticals for many years and just needed a break from all the travel. I thought this would be a simple transition as I have a great deal of scientific knowledge as well as many different disease states. I'm very skilled at interpreting the data from clinical trials as well. My undergrad degree is in English Literature and research was a big part of my daily studies. Here's the thing...every job I applied to as a Clinical Researcher or CRA, I was turned down because I needed to have a degree in a "related" field. What I've found by networking and talking with employers is that a Master's in Public Health will open many more doors for you. That degree will allow you to work in many other jobs, clinical jobs, private practice, so many opportunities. I'm considering the same Master's at this point. Good luck with your future.

WOW! Thank you for your input!
I also noticed that when reading job descriptions for CRC or CRA, companies want you to have biomedical or health science experience. They usually want LPN's or RN's. I took the basic biology, chemistry, and Anatomy courses in college but my focus was on the social and behavioral sciences. Should I consider nursing school first so I can afford to live while in grad school and have better job options? Is it really necessary to go all the way and become a nurse in order to break into the Clinical Research field, or can I just take additional science classes at my local community college? With a Psych degree, sometimes I feel limited.

mohammad e in Brandon, Florida

48 months ago

Hi
I have an M.B.B.S and an Master's of Bioscience degree. I want to break into Clinical research but am not sure how. What would be the best thing for someone in my situation? I've applied to countless jobs, but feel it's been a waste of time as most employers want a least a year of experience in research which I don't have. What entry level position can I start out at in research that will pay more than $12.00/hr? Thanks in advance!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Andrea in G├Âteborg, Sweden

47 months ago

Hello, I am a recent graduate medical biologist with focus on clinical research. I have a certificate in clinical drug development and I recently finished my master's thesis within clinical trials at queen Silvia children's hospital. I am now looking for a position as a clinical research associate or assistance in Sweden or in the Nordic area. I have applied for many jobs but all of them are required experienced people with a minimum of 2 years monitoring. My problem is, how to find that experience? I would be grateful for any answers to this problem.
regards

Andrea

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

JO in New York, New York

38 months ago

Hi,

I'm looking to break into clinical trial management.
I recently got a PhD from a top-tier University and am currently doing a postdoc in NYC. I'd like to move into trial management, but have no prior experience. Does anybody know if a a online course would increase my chances to get hired ?
Or should I just start to volunteer ?
thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

VBussell in Colorado Springs, Colorado

37 months ago

pisano in Roanoke, Virginia said: Hello,

Thank you

Did you ever find the information you needed about becoming a clinical research site? My small, niche clinical research company assists new sites in getting started, along with other things. Feel free to contact me if you have interest in gaining information, written site SOPs, training etc. VBussell@Clinical-rts.com www.clinical-rts.com

LIz in Albuquerque, New Mexico

31 months ago

HI,
I basically got into research on a whim and now I LOVE it. I have a BA in English, and I have worked in the medical field and tutored in medical research. I applied for the job and was hired to complete paperwork. However, I soon went into the clinical side and learned about research through job experience. My employer even paid for me to go to a medical assisting program so that I would have more medical knowledge. After 2 years, I took the CCRC exam ( you only need a BA/BS in any field and two years experience as a coordinator). So now, I am moving to Seattle, with 2.7 years of coordinating experience, a BA in English, A medical assisting certificate, and a CCRC certification. So Far, I have not had any official invites for interviews, however I have had people who are not looing currently for a CRC say that they will keep my resume once they have any openings. I also have a company that said to call them once I am physically in Seattle for a possible interview. I have been basically submitting my resume and cover letter to all research facilities. I made sure that I had a strong Cover Letter and good reputable references.

Point being- my final suggestions are to:
1. Apply for Research Assistant positions- submit a cover letter with your resume explaining why your current skill set is perfect for that position.
2. Do a medical assisting program, phlebotomy course, CPR cource, and/ or community college courses to gain more scientific/health knowledge.
3. Once you are an Assistant, try to work your way up to being a CRC and take the certification test as soon as you can
4. Network and make sure that you have people who will reconmmend your work ( Pharmaceutical research can be a small world)
5. Lastly, DON'T GIVE UP- DETERMINATION IS MOST VALUABLE SKILL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dr Greer in Spartanburg, South Carolina

30 months ago

This is a catch 22 kind of career. You can't get the job without experience and you can't get the experience without certification and you can't get certification without job experience. It's your typical circular logic that translates to: It's who you know that counts on whether you get a job in clinical research, not what you know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Fay in Auckland, New Zealand

27 months ago

Hey guys

Ive gotten a job as a research technician, will this allow me to move up in CRC or CRA positions in the future? I cannt seem to find anything online. I took this job because i wanted to get my foot in the research door!! Im at a university thou, will this affect my chances of moving into industry or hosiptal research positions later ?

Patricia in Miami Beach, Florida

27 months ago

Hi Fay: What kind of research technician? At least you should start as an Assistant Coordinator. This is an issue of good luck and contacts! For example; I'm sorrounding the 50 years and it took me more than 10 years to get to the position I have now Sr. Clinical Study Coordinator/ Clinical Study Manager.
My ex-boss had the brilliant idea to bring a brand new girl (18 years old) with no preparation at all in nothing related to Research and he hired her as a CRC (because he knows her parents) and wanted me to train her.I tried to train her but she have no clue or interest to read protocols or get involved in the trial..but to tell everybody that she was a CRC.(Everything in 1 day Waow!) Results...I got tired and quitted. So now they have thier brand new coordinator with a Title of CRC but nothing in her head.You see?
Take the position that has been offered to you...learn as much as you can and when you feel there is no more growing potential at that place, keep on moving forward until you fall in the spot you want to be.Start making good connections relationships with sponsors and probably with good luck somebody will handle a hand to you for your next step. Good Luck!

Luis in Cleveland, Ohio

26 months ago

Went to school for advertising. I was hired by a doctor to do clinical research and have done it for nearly 5 years now.

I just got hired as a CRA!!!

It just shocks me that so many people with doctorates and schooling are trying to do a job that i'm doing. Waste of money and education if you ask me.

PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Dr. Linda B. Greer in Spartanburg, South Carolina

26 months ago

Your good fortune to get into a much sought after career for many of us. I didn't realize how much I wanted to do this until late in my career. Still hoping for a foot in the door.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

priyanka in Frisco, Texas

26 months ago

Hi,
I completed Masters in biotechnology.Now looking for Clinical research coordinator postion.How can I get into this postion? Do I need to complete any certification program related to clinical research? Which would be good?Please reply

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dr. Linda B. Greer in Spartanburg, South Carolina

26 months ago

priyanka in Frisco, Texas said: Hi,
I completed Masters in biotechnology.Now looking for Clinical research coordinator postion.How can I get into this postion? Do I need to complete any certification program related to clinical research? Which would be good?Please reply

Priyanka,

Join the Assn. of Clinical Research Professionals if you haven't already. Start reading in the Clinical Res. Coordinator and Clinical Res. Associate eforums--lots of good info exchange.

Study for the ACRP certification exam BUT make sure your course of study for your MS is acceptable to the ACRP in lieu of 2 full years of clinical research experience working with patients and keeping clinical trial records. You can't sit for the exam unless they approve your education OR you have the job experience. Only certain academic schools and their programs meet the ACRP standards.

Job Seeker in Exton, Pennsylvania

25 months ago

Are there any Clinical Research Coordinator jobs outside of institutions
in the Greater Philadelphia vicinity? Private Practice or other, etc.
Institutions only hire internal candidates.

Or, company? Can perform clinical trial mgt., site mgt., pharmacovigilance,
or regulatory.

ACRP Certified

Reply cks5303@gmail.com

Job Seeker in Nashville, Tennessee

20 months ago

Hello all,
I am interested in becoming a CRC. I have been a nurse for 8 years (Critical Care). I will be completing my Masters' Degree this Summer as an FNP. While I do enjoy my current career I am interested in transitioning into research. Can any professional CRCs offer any advice? Thank you! Happy New Year!

Help needed in Bartlett, Illinois

19 months ago

I am a foreign medical graduate, ECFMG certified.I havent done my residency yet,looking forward to pursue as a clinical research coordinator.currently i m working as a research assistant at a local clinic.i m also erolled in an online course in clinical research.Do I need to take any exams to become a CRC? i applied to several companies but didnt get any response.please guide.

Thank You

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

kimbichsel in Saint Peters, Missouri

16 months ago

Do you need a degree prior to becoming a clinical research coordinator?

Thank you!

kimbichsel in Saint Peters, Missouri

16 months ago

Do you need a degree prior to becoming a clinical research coordinator?

Thank You,

Kim in St. Charles

Mika in East Brunswick, New Jersey

15 months ago

Hi, I have just completed my Bachelors in Biotechnology. I want to pursue the path of becoming a clinical research coordinator. What steps should I take next? Work in the industry (but which one?) and then pursue graduate school? If I could get some sort of internship position within a firm that even shadows clinical research coordinators, how can I market myself?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cellabella in Fort Worth, Texas

14 months ago

I was just recently hired as a CRC, but I'm the first ever for the clinic site. I'm curious to how my future career will be like if the research studies are not pharma or device. In fact, the clinical site is a physical therapy center that have rehabilitation type studies instead. Does anyone have advice on what I should do to help me boost my experiences to become more marketable for the industry? Also, I'm interested in becoming a CRA in 2-3 years from now.

J Lines in Cypress, Texas

12 months ago

Hi - After some advise!
I've just moved here from England and looking for a job as a Clinical Research Coordinator or data coordinator.
In the UK I processed, analysed and coordinator clinical trials for a UK hospital. I have a bachelor's degree in Biomedical Science and Master's degree in Clinical Chemistry.
I've applied for a few CRC but with no response - does anybody have any advise to boost my chance of getting a job?

Thanks.

VBussell in Colorado Springs, Colorado

11 months ago

Anyone know of experienced clinical research coordinators or highly organized individuals in Colorado who might be seeking a clinical research role?

Ksenia in Brooklyn, New York

7 months ago

VBussell in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: Anyone know of experienced clinical research coordinators or highly organized individuals in Colorado who might be seeking a clinical research role?

Hi VBussell,
I am an international M.D. and currently looking for a clinical research coordinator role. I see that you posted this 3 month ago, but if this or similar position is still available-please let me know.
Thanks!

Ksenia in Brooklyn, New York

7 months ago

Nauman in Richmond, Virginia said: Hi I am a foreign Medical Graduate and I'm currently taking an online course for Clinical research Coordination and Monitoring from Michigan State University.

Hi Nauman,
I am in a similar situation. (foreign M.D)-would be interesting to know how did this work out for you?

Ernie S. in San Francisco, California

7 days ago

To get into a CRC role, there is no test needed. Although, a training course might help, what got me into a CRC role was relevant experience.

I worked for 6 years in academic research lab before switching into clinical research as a CRC at a hospital, running clinical trials. Relevant experience (data collection, familiarity with research process, attention to details, documentation, people skills, etc.) was the main questions the interviewers wanted to know. Most people with science background should have some of those skills already, but the key point is to be able to show it (through specific examples) during the interview.

I learned a lot as a CRC on how to run clinical trials at a site. After 3 years, I used that experience to get into a Clinical Research Associate (CRA) role at a sponsor company.

I have my background, experience, and clinical research related topics (career, job, industry knowledge, etc.) on my website at: www.clinicalresearchassociatecra.com/

Ernie S.
www.clinicalresearchassociatecra.com/

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.