role clarity and burn-out

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1)

j in Starksboro, Vermont

86 months ago

I’ve been the “Community Relations Coordinator” for 6 years for a non-profit home health care agency with 250 employees that serves over 1000 patients each year in 15 rural towns in VT. Prior to this I was in administrative roles at the same agency for 6 years. I’ve struggled with my attempts recently to show my boss, the agency’s director, that I’m in desperate need of assistance and role clarity. Some of my struggle comes from being such a pleaser – a “yes” girl.

When I brought up the need for role clarity and support, I was basically told that things are not changing and oh, yeah - - - here’s another area where I want you to take a lead role in. While my boss will often talk about the need for me to prioritize, she reiterates that whatever project we may be discussing is indeed my top priority.

I guess I’m looking for some assurance that I’m not just being whiny and that the burn-out I’m experiencing may not be “all my fault.” I realize that a Community Relations role requires one to wear many hats, and I enjoy that aspect, however, I think my hat collection is out of control.

I'd like to share my job description as it has grown (with some details) through the past few years…to ask if this seem reasonable for such a position making about $38,000 year.

In a nutshell - the areas I'm asked to take lead roles in include:
Development (2 summer fundraising events, general donations and letters, database management, employee contribution campaign to United Way), Community Relations (newspaper, radio, television, maintain agency website, host Public Access show), Staff & Volunteer Relations (customer service training, newlsetters, employee wellness, recruitment support), Patient Satisfaction Surveys (relationship with vendor and educating staff on results) assistance with Quality Initiatives, staff-photographer and in-house designer of materials.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.