Getting ahead...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a hirable compensation analyst? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective compensation analyst?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

jbbuck in Birmingham, Alabama

66 months ago

There are a couple of certifications out there for Comp Analysts. The most widely known is the Certified Compensation Professional (CCP) offered by WorldatWork. It is an expensive program (about $1,300 a course and a total of 9 courses). You may take as long as you need to complete the CCP. If you want to move up in the profession, the CCP is a MUST HAVE.

ERI offers two certifications: Compensation Analyst Credential (CAC) and Job & Compensation Analyst (JCA) credentials. Both are very basic and a great learning tool for people just starting out in compensation. The courses are $24.95 each and the CAC is 12 courses and the JCA is 50 courses. You have one year to complete all of the courses in order for it to count for that certification.

In addition to certifications, I have found a few certificates out there that may be of interest to some. I haven't ever taken any of these and do not know anything about them other than what their respective websites claim so I will just list them below:
(1) NC State's Compensation Training and Certification Program (Cost=$399)
(2) Cornell University's HR: Benefits and Compensation Certificate (Cost=$2,640)

Again, it is important to remember that CCP's are regarded as the experts in their field. CAC, JCA, certificates and etc are all great learning tools but the CCP is top dog.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

croeder in Detroit, Michigan

64 months ago

Host said: What is the best training for becoming a hirable compensation analyst? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective compensation analyst?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

The best training is a human resources degree and Certified Compensation Professional (CCP) certification from World at Work.

Don't count on good career prospects though. I have a master's degree and a CCP certification (plus 14 years experience0 and have been looking tor work the last 9 months with hardly an interview. Can't find jobs to apply for in Michigan. So many HR professionals are out of work due to the downturn & mass layoffs =( Good luck to you anyway. It's an interesting field and I love it when I'm working.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

certifiedinsanantonio in San Antonio, Texas

55 months ago

I'd like to take the CCP through WorldatWork and just pay for the exam and get my own study materials together. Would anyone know what texts are used for the CCP exams?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

certifiedinsanantonio in San Antonio, Texas said: I'd like to take the CCP through WorldatWork and just pay for the exam and get my own study materials together. Would anyone know what texts are used for the CCP exams?

I know that's an option that World at Work offers but I've never actually heard of anyone doing it. As far as I know, they use their own study binders for their exams. I think these can be purchased seperately, as well.

Let us know if you try this option, I'd be interested in hearing from someome that has.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

hshinde in Atlanta, Georgia

54 months ago

The CCP definitely seems to be the preferred certification by all employers but its unaffordable to me! I recently completed my masters in HR and also earned the PHR certification. I have 5-6 years of HR plus non-HR work experience and am looking for compensation analyst position. The prospect looks gloomy right now. I would really appreciate any advice on getting a job...

MJ in Atlanta, Georgia

47 months ago

IM in Atlanta also applying for compensation analyst positions with a similar background to you. The CCP is unaffordable for right now for me also but I have found a number of positions in which I have received call backs. If your still looking for a position. The AJC and Angelica are hiring for compensation positions.

47 months ago

MJ,
There is a scholarship offered for WorldatWork to obtain a certification. Look it up on their website. Good luck.
JB

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

JLK in Baltimore, Maryland

32 months ago

I have varied work experience from HR recruiting, education, and financial planning. I am considering HR again as a compensation analyst and want to know what is the best way to enter into this field. Should I start with some classes first? Any recommendations?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.