Top construction inspector skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 74)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every construction inspector must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your construction inspector expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

tjc in Murrysville, Pennsylvania

82 months ago

NICET is a thing of the past. I'm NICET III in construction inspection and Engineering firms could care less. ACI is a must, and you will need to certify in the state you are working in.The states want you to take there classes and tests.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Christine

82 months ago

In NYC - NICET level 1,2 and 3 in Construction Material Testing, Asphalt, Concrete & Soils are now required to work on agency building work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bill Nourse in Tulsa, Oklahoma

82 months ago

I am ANSI Level 2 certified for structural steel, concrete, and soils.
It was the required certification to comply to 10 CFR 50 (the federal requirements for construction of nuclear generating stations).
I have over thirty years experience in construction inspection and quality control. I have inspected prestressed and post tension cables, and bolted and welded connections on structural steel at nuclear power plants.
Now I am told that I must be certified by several different agencies in order to do my job. There should be a way to "grandfather" into these disciplines without forking over several hundred dollars for certifications to do jobs I have done for several years in the past. Here is an example:
In 1980 I inspected structural steel at Marble Hill Nuclear Generating Station. Recently, I was told that I had to be AWS certified in order to inspect structural steel at a Walgreen's store under construction!
Where is the logic in that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Donald in New York, New York

81 months ago

I am looking for employment as a construction inspector. I have my NICET Levels 1 & 11 certification and knowledgeable in surveying. I worked one year with a firm in NYC and performed highway inspections of materials & workmanship of contractors, monitored the performance of jobsite laborers & electricians, enforced lane closures to ensure safety of contractors, prepared daily reports & maintain logs such as, Submittals, RFI’s, Change Orders, Drawings, Surveying and various office duties for Chief Inspector & Engineers. Computer literate, good verbal & written communication skills. Ability to multi-task ; work with or without supervision.

I am a serious hard working young male in my 20's. I have transportation and can travel within the 5 boroughs of NYC. For the past month and a half; I have been actively looking for employment and would greatly appreciate some good leads.
Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

81 months ago

I can give you several leads, but you must be willing to relocate to Oklahoma. I do not know anything about NYC.

Christine

81 months ago

Donald,

Most of my work is in NYC and there is a huge demand for Construction Inspectors. Are you also ACI certified? What catagories are you NICET 1 & 2?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

81 months ago

I am ANSI certified level II Structural Inspector. I have 32 years experience. Currently I am head of the Oklahoma City division of Kleinfelder Engineering.

Donald in New York, New York

81 months ago

I attended NYC College of Technology studied construction inspection from the engineering dept. I took the NICET I & II exams passed both and found employment with a company doing highway & bridge inspections for NYSDOT. I am certified to do all highway testing that includes asphalt & concrete. However, because I only have one year experience and NICET II requires you to have 2 years experience; I must get the second year experience to have the full benefit of my NICET II. As I stated earlier, I am a hard worker and eager to learn.

Christine

76 months ago

Donald - are you currently working or looking for employment?

Carrie in Riverside, New Jersey

75 months ago

tjc in Murrysville, Pennsylvania said: NICET is a thing of the past. I'm NICET III in construction inspection and Engineering firms could care less. ACI is a must, and you will need to certify in the state you are working in.The states want you to take there classes and tests.

We are a Project Management Firm in New Jersey looking for a NICET III for work in New Castle, DE. If interested, please forward your resume to cstreahle@promatechinc.com

Susan in Brooklyn, New York

74 months ago

My office is currenlty looking for NICET Level I, II, and III's. Please reply if you are certified and looking to work on Long Island.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Christine

74 months ago

We are a Certified WBE Testing & Inspection firm on Long Island that is seeking Inspectors that are NICET II, CWI, and Construction Special Inspection Certified Inspectors. If you are interested in working in NY, the 5 Boroughs, Nassau and Suffolk County, please post your interest.

74 months ago

May I ask what the name of the company is?

Christine

74 months ago

Susan in Brooklyn, New York said: May I ask what the name of the company is?

Trio Testing Corp.

74 months ago

I KNEW IT!!!!
Chris - It's Susan Perotto! Lipinski!!!

Christine

74 months ago

That's so funny... What a small world...

joeyi in Milford, Delaware

67 months ago

Bill in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: I can give you several leads, but you must be willing to relocate to Oklahoma. I do not know anything about NYC.[/QUOTBill my name is Joe and i'm from Delaware i too am fustrated because i have over 15years experience in heavy highway construction and now everybody seems to want more and more certifications which costs money, that at the moment i don't have to kick out of pocket. what kind of jobs are available within my field with engineering companies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Fozia

66 months ago

I live in centeral newjersey. I would like to know is there any training school for NICET certification in NJ or material available? Please guide me to the right path. Thanks for your help in advance.

Foz

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Christine

66 months ago

I haven't come across any training schools for Nicet in NY either.

joey i in Milford, Delaware

66 months ago

you must go on line in order to find out where and when the next classes are and begin

joey i in Milford, Delaware

66 months ago

Christine said: Donald - are you currently working or looking for employment?

christine this is not donald, but my name is joey i.have you any leads that colud lead to a inspector's job, i currently have over 10 years experience as a inspector III, but where i come from there is no need for NICET, please e-mail me @joseph.iturriaga@yahoo.com, at your pleasure. sincerly joey i

Manny in Fresno, California

66 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every construction inspector must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your construction inspector expertise?

1. Qualify on paper (resume): A combination of education, certifications, and experience are best. Research the desirable certifications required by specific organizations. For example, if the client is Caltrans or any DOT, Nicet and ACI will not weigh as much as Caltrans certifications.

2. Communication: You must have the ability to communicate effectively with the employer, client and Contractor. If you are weak in this area, you may become a short term employee once hired - regardless of your qualifications! Nevertheless, be prepared to impress the interviewer.

3. Team Player: stating that you are is not good enough. Live it, practice it. Organizations today weigh heavily on the team player aspect of the candidate. You must convey to the interviewer - with examples - how well you work with others; in particular difficult people. In the 21st century you must be a collaborater and a partner with all whom you interface with. You must also convey how your Team Player philosophy will benefit the organization. Be helpful and perpetually work towards the unreachable goal - to become indespensable.

In summary; Research the desirable certifications for the agency with whom your are applying; practice being an effective communicator; and be a Team Player.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Okey in Plainview, New York

66 months ago

I am currently a construction inspector in nyc but desirous to take Nicet exams. Does eny one have a lead on how I can get classes for this training especially on highway construction and maintenance.

Manny in Fresno, California

66 months ago

Please go to the following link:

nicet.org/candidates/jump.cfm

You will find everything you need to know about the National Certification in Engineering Technologies.

Good luck!

Mike in Babylon, New York

65 months ago

I have my NICET 1 in Highway Construction, Traffic Operations, and ACI certified. Currently out of work, can some one tell me who is hiring.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anom

65 months ago

ACI certified in what?

RAF in North Brunswick, New Jersey

65 months ago

Fozia said: I live in centeral newjersey. I would like to know is there any training school for NICET certification in NJ or material available? Please guide me to the right path. Thanks for your help in advance.

Foz

DEAR FOZIA
E MAIL ME NAMABER@YAHOO.COM
RAF

Caryn Hart in East Meadow, New York

64 months ago

I work for NYSDOT. Even though I am a current working for the state, I want to go back to being an consultant. I am applying for NICET Technoologist (AT). What type of employment can I expect to gain? Would it be better to apply for Technician II?

Caryn Hart in East Meadow, New York

64 months ago

Christine said: We are a Certified WBE Testing & Inspection firm on Long Island that is seeking Inspectors that are NICET II, CWI, and Construction Special Inspection Certified Inspectors. If you are interested in working in NY, the 5 Boroughs, Nassau and Suffolk County, please post your interest.

I work for NYSDOT. Even though I am a current working for the state, I want to go back to being an consultant. I am applying for NICET Technoologist (AT). What type of employment can I expect to gain? Would it be better to apply for Technician II?

HPar in Valley Stream, New York

64 months ago

I am interested in an entry level position as a Construction Inspector. I have qualified based upon county civil service exams. How necessary are some of these certifications for me in looking to begin a career? Will I be frowned upon for not having them, or will I have the opportunity to obtain such certification in order to advance?

SCB in Norristown, Pennsylvania

64 months ago

Currently Prime Engineering, Inc., a certified MBE/DBE engineering firm, is seeking qualified Transportation Construction Inspectors for projects in the Gettysburg, PA area. Candidate must have NICET III certification, 15+ years of highway inspection experience and ACI certification. Penndot Concrete certification and NECEPT cert. is also desireable. Project starts end of April. For consideration, please email me your resume to sbisch@primeeng.com

terry in Arlington, Texas

63 months ago

I am in trying to find employment in the Okla City , Moore, Norman or surrounding area. I plan on moving to Tuttle in the very near future as soon as I can find work. i HAve been an Engineering inspector for about 14 years, mostly residential inspections. I do have Commercial engieering inspector expector. I anm currently employed with a commercial builder as Asst Quality Control Inspector. We are buildign a 2.7 mile elevated railroad bridge.

I am moving back to OKC because of family. If you can help, please feel free to contact me. terrymillus2002@yahoo.com

61 months ago

Bill in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: I am ANSI certified level II Structural Inspector. I have 32 years experience. Currently I am head of the Oklahoma City division of Kleinfelder Engineering.

Bill , Im am currently looking for employment in Oklahoma as an inspector. I work for a commercial builder right now. I have experience in most all discelplines. mResidential, commericial. I have a current resume if your interested.

Terrymillus2002@yahoo.com

Bill in Cleveland, Oklahoma

61 months ago

terry in Arlington, Texas said: Bill , Im am currently looking for employment in Oklahoma as an inspector. I work for a commercial builder right now. I have experience in most all discelplines. mResidential, commericial. I have a current resume if your interested.

Terrymillus2002@yahoo.com

I wish I could help you Terry. But Times are bad everywhere....not just in the U.S., but all over the world. Currently I am semi-retired partly due to this rotten economy. I have a line on a project being constructed by the Creek Indian Nation. Why don't you send me your resume, and I will forward it to the man I am talking to about the job if you are interested. However, it will not be in the area you specified in your message.
My email address is: projectokc@yahoo.com

61 months ago

Thanks Bill, But i need o get back the OKC area because I have in bad medical helth and Im trying to get back to help out! Thanks! If ya hear of anything else let me know!

pdm in Austin, Texas

60 months ago

Can anyone suggest and openings ANYWHERE.
I am ICC certified and I have over 15 years in the constructin field

Christine

60 months ago

We have openings for certified technicians in New York.

pdm in Austin, Texas

60 months ago

Christine said: We have openings for certified technicians in New York.

What is the scope of this position??

60 months ago

Am looking for a NICET Level III certified inspector for projects in Connecticut. Immediate hire! send resume to sbisch@primeeng.com

Kamran in Toledo, Ohio

59 months ago

I am looking for any entry level Position in the field of highway construction in Toledo Ohio or near by, I have more that to years of Experience Highway inspection, I did my BS in civil Engineering From Philippine, I am even looking for any Inspector job.

Also help me which certification I shall pursue ACI of NICET.

Kamran in Toledo, Ohio

59 months ago

I am looking for any entry level Position in the field of highway construction in Toledo Ohio or near by, I have more that to years of Experience Highway inspection, I did my BS in civil Engineering From Philippine, I am even looking for any Inspector job.

Also help me which certification I shall pursue ACI of NICET.
PLease help me out

59 months ago

You will need the ACI and NICET certifications.

Kamran Durrani in Toledo, Ohio

59 months ago

Presently I am living in Toledo Ohio, Can some one guide me how I can get my NICET and ACI certification.

58 months ago

Are there any construction inspectors seeking work in the Philly area? I am looking for inspectors that are experienced with PennDOT projects, that have NICET, ACI, NECEPT, Penndot concrete certs. The more certs the better. Project is on I-95. Send resume to sbisch@primeeng.com ASAP

larry in Mount Holly, New Jersey

55 months ago

Okey in Plainview, New York said: I am currently a construction inspector in nyc but desirous to take Nicet exams. Does eny one have a lead on how I can get classes for this training especially on highway construction and maintenance.

I also are looking for a job, I worked for a township and got laid off. I have 18 years experience and have no nicet cert. I have alot of cert. Like ACI, NJSAT, MCI LEVEL 1 & 2 and I'm having a hard time finding a job also. If anybody has any openings i can be reached at ftbyharley20001@comcast.net.

I found that you can take the test at Rutgers in new brunswick or at NJIT in newark,NJ. If you go to www.nicet.com will able to help you. The only thing that i have found on the site, there is a lot of paper work to complete. Also i have talk to people and the BIG demand is also IBC Certifications.

I hope the information helped you.

larry in Mount Holly, New Jersey

55 months ago

Christine said: We have openings for certified technicians in New York.

Christine, What type of job openings do you have. I have 18 years as a construction inspection and have a cert. ACI,NJSAT,CMI. Is there any opening for me.

Regards,
Larry

Kamran in Toledo, Ohio

55 months ago

Thanks aleast you let me know from where to start.

Christine

55 months ago

We are looking for ACI Certified Technicians,(lab and field), CWI's, Alfred State certified HMA Density Technicians, and ICC Certified Technicians.

Larry Clevenger in Mount Holly, New Jersey

55 months ago

Christine said: We are looking for ACI Certified Technicians,(lab and field), CWI's, Alfred State certified HMA Density Technicians, and ICC Certified Technicians.

Christine,

Were is the job at? I'm. Can you e-mail me with your number @ ftbyharley200012comcast.net so we can talk about the job.

Larry

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.