question to people in the construction business

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

trevor in Dublin, Ohio

66 months ago

I am a jr. at ohio state university and they are changing the degree and was wondering what would look better for getting a job in construction management. I need to decide if i want the old degree or the new one.

Old degree:
B.S. in agriculture, major construction systems management, Minor Business

New degree:

B.S. in construction systems Management
(no minor but end up taking all the minor business classes but they count in the new degree)

the only reason it says agriculture is because i think 5-10 years ago ohio state moved it from the college of engineering to the college of food agriculture and biological engineering, so the ag. part is just from the school my course load is just construction management classes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cajineer in Edmonton, Alberta

66 months ago

Being a former Professional Engineer, I am swayed to the new degree title. It sounds a whole lot more credible than "Agriculture". Think of it: how is agriculture related to construction????

It's like saying "I have a degree in agriculture, will you hire me in construction???" This is a no-brainer! Really, how could you even wonder about this????

looking for construction management posi in New York, New York

61 months ago

Go for the new degree.

cajineer STANKS in Seattle, Washington

57 months ago

Got enough question marks there? former engineer AKA laid off engineer

cagineer in Edmonton, Alberta

57 months ago

cajineer STANKS in Seattle, Washington said: Got enough question marks there? former engineer AKA laid off engineer

Not really. I voluntarily stopped working and stopped paying my professional dues over 20 years ago to raise a family. So, yes, "former engineer". I don't lie.

cajineer STANKS in Seattle, Washington

56 months ago

my mistake, good job, licensing dues are retarded and worthless in some cases, stopped paying architecture license ones years ago!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

millman in Hattiesburg, Mississippi

41 months ago

looking for construction management posi in New York, New York said: Go for the new degree.

I have been in industrial construction for 29 yrs. I am now a project manager/superintendent for the worlds largest construction company. My formal training is on the job. If I were looking at your resume and saw you were a ag major I would toss your resume aside. Go with the new deal!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Douglas in Canton, Ohio

10 months ago

millman in Hattiesburg, Mississippi said: I have been in industrial construction for 29 yrs. I am now a project manager/superintendent for the worlds largest construction company. My formal training is on the job. If I were looking at your resume and saw you were a ag major I would toss your resume aside. Go with the new deal!!!

Mr Millman in Hattiesburg, Mississippi;
After reading your suggestion, I thought I would ask the name of the company that you are referring to as to it might be a fit for myself.
I have been taught on the job training since 1984 in a family residential construction company and I am currently looking for the next step in my life since our family business closed in 2011. Therefore twenty seven years I have been a, job field Forman , sales representative , and then manager building approximately 120 homes per year...

I would appreciate an opportunity to speak with you or whomever that could give me some direction. My resume is also available at your request.....
Douglas1@neo.rr.com
Thank you, Doug

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.