What are the best construction project manager qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a construction project manager? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective construction project manager?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

"Coach Gary" Micheloni in Oceanside, California

64 months ago

Keep learning every chance you get--particularly seminars on managing change. That's what causes the most trouble on most projects--changes to the scope of work. There's a lot of help out there--some of it at no cost. For instance, if you go to FullContactTeam.com, you can get a 5-part mini-course on RFIs and change order management--at no cost.

If you go to MasonryMagazine.com, you can get current and past articles from the column, "Full Contact Project Management".

Make a commitment to continuing education, as opposed to worrying about whether you have a construction management degree from a university.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LEF in Mission Viejo, California

63 months ago

Thank you for this information. I am trying to break into the field. Working on an Interior Design Degree (2nd career). I've now have a Blue Print reading Certificate (full semester course), also taking AutoCAD this semester.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Krystal in Exhall, United Kingdom

56 months ago

Six Sigma

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anthony Esposito in Lane Cove, Australia

20 months ago

I`ve had 35 years in the industry. Started out as a laborour, qualified carpenter, then Master Builder, Building consultant, Project Manager, Project Director,now studying MBA and Law..........you get the picture. My advice to everyone entering is this.......Life owes you nothing. Mix study with experiance. Don`t focus simply on your qualifications as you`ll follow the crowd and those interviewing you will see nothing "special" about you. See, what they sell to their clients has to be special or they loose the opportunity.

Just get out there and get started. Its better to demonstrate you`re not too proud to do ANYTHING in this industry to reach you`re goals. It will deliver respect in large quantities and credibility when discussing issues with your clients.

All the best

Anthony

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.