Top controller skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (15)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every controller must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your controller expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

Omar in Miami, Florida

87 months ago

Reasons why an applicant is the best qualified candidate for a controller position?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (85) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Cathy in Mooresville, Indiana

84 months ago

Wanting to creat interview questions for Controller.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Shelley in Beaumont, Texas

83 months ago

Try Onetonline.org. When you type in the position and retrieve the description, there are sections on skills and abilities required for the position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

dania in Adrian, Georgia

81 months ago

could you tell me how you can get started for a controllers position and what all consits of.
thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

FINGUY in Ontario, California

78 months ago

It depends. First of all, not all Controllers are created equal. They can be glorified bookkeepers, or they can be the CFO. It used to be the Controller was the top kick in Finance/Administration. Due to "title inflation" they can be almost anything. Today the term Plant Controller is the title given to the top guy/gal in a manufacturing environment, and toady it can be simply the Cost Accounting manager.

Public versus private versus profit/non-profit is even more mind-numbing...

The obvious simple answer is great math and organization skills, coupled to extreme attention to detail, and the ability to be thick skinned. You will be put in a position where you must regularly tell people "no" and then explain why they can't do things "their way". You'll be second guessed, and challenged (like dealing with kids, except older) constantly. You'll be prone to long winded answers that will glaze peoples eyes over, and if you give a shorter answer, accused of not knowing the subject thoroughly. You will be constantly "stuck in the middle", requiring great skill to extricate yourself gracefully, and without causing political upheaval.

This is a position not for the faint of heart, yet accountants are usually portrayed as such. And if you are skilled, it is one of the most rewarding positions an entreprenural type can hold. It gives you insights financially, operationally and globally.

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Shanon Headley in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

76 months ago

I may be a little off topic here but I am currently considered an "Accountant" at my work and I feel that the duties I am responsible are worth far more than my title portrays. I do not have any kind of accounting degree but I have been working in my position for 4+ years and take care of A/P, A/R, forecasting, budgeting, financials. Basically I do the entire accounting for a seperate entity. The only time my companies controller questions any part of my job is possibly when my financials are way over budget otherwise I don't hear anything from her. I am in the process of asking my boss for a raise but I am not sure how to determine what my rate of pay should be because I am not sure what my title should be. If I go based on an accountant I feel like I would be shooting myself in the foot. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

FINGUY in Ontario, California

76 months ago

I don't want to sound snobbish, but given what appears to be the lack of formalized accounting training, calling yourself Accountant can be pretty bold. Yes, OJT counts for something, but I suspect if you were asked to do some more complex independent analytical work, you might be in over your head. You might be the most brilliant person in the world and actually understand GAAP and other rules based on sheer native intelligence, but without some demostrable formal education, how could your boss, prove it to his boss?

Do you regularly interpret Balance Sheet information, or provide other analysis on a regular basis? Even doing account reconciliations might add enough sophistication to the duties to make you an Accountant, but simply "I don't hear anything from her" does not. Want to support the "Accountant" title? Get a college level education that adds to your global view of the subject. You need to UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPTS behind what you are doing, not just mimic the transactions over and over. Muscle memory is not an substitute for an education.

As I have told my staff, I pay more for brains, not muscle. You are working in a skilled profession, you aren't a laborer. The fact you have been given a fair amount of lattitude by the Controller doesn't suggest you are working at her level. It means you are competent in what you are doing. Want to show her that you are capable of doing her job? Ask for some "extra" things to do, that she currently is doing. Offer to make her life better, and learn some added skills. And still, don't forget getting the formal education.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

OLUMOROTI in London, United Kingdom

72 months ago

I JUST FINISHED A MASTER IN ACCOUNTS A ND FINANCE AND I DO NOT HAVE THE SKILLS OR WHAT JOB I SHOULD GO FOR.I GOT SOMEONE SAYIG THEY WOULD TRAIN ME FOR 4 MONTHS WITHOUT PAY IS THIS A GOOD IDEA CONSIDERING THE FINANCIAL CONSTRAINT I MIGHT HAVE TO DEAL WITH.OR SHOULD I GET A GRADUATE TRAINING JOBRATHER THAN VOLUNTEERING.WHAT I WILL RATHER LOVE TO BE IS FINANCIAL ANALYST. U CAN GIVE ME A CALL PLEASE I RALLY NEED A MENTOR.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ShahidCPA in Mississauga, Ontario

69 months ago

Shelley in Beaumont, Texas said: Try Onetonline.org. When you type in the position and retrieve the description, there are sections on skills and abilities required for the position.

Excellent website!!

Thank you

Mary in Belmar, New Jersey

66 months ago

The newest post is 2 months old, but better late than never! I'm glad I found this thread. I got something from everyone here. Thanks guys.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tom T CMA in Clifton Park, New York

64 months ago

Omar in Miami, Florida said: Reasons why an applicant is the best qualified candidate for a controller position?

Fifty percent of any controllers job is listening to other managers problems and helping them solve them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Missy

40 months ago

I was recently hired as an A/P clerk at a privately owned business which owns approx 50 restaurants and 2O or more hotels. The first 3 weeks on the job and I find out that my work alone consists of processing all bills, all payroll, all profit/loss reports, and all taxes on a monthly basis for 30 of the restaurants. Everything with the exception of invoices is handwritten which means its all done manually by me with a turnaround time of 2 days. (Its taking me two days just to decipher the scribbling). There is only one other person in my office and then there is the "office manager". No one is training me and I get snappy answers whenever I ask a question. They say there is no manual for the system and have given me two big boxes full of papers for me to sort and figure out what to do with and a computer on my desk for me to figure out the system. All of this for 9/hr!!!! Have I been suckered? I can't go to the owner b/c he doesn't speak good English. I'm not one to quit anything, but geeesh!

Missy

40 months ago

I was recently hired as an A/P clerk at a privately owned business which owns approx 50 restaurants and 2O or more hotels. The first 3 weeks on the job and I find out that my work alone consists of processing all bills, all payroll, all profit/loss reports, and all taxes on a monthly basis for 30 of the restaurants. Everything with the exception of invoices is handwritten which means its all done manually by me with a turnaround time of 2 days. (Its taking me two days just to decipher the scribbling). There is only one other person in my office and then there is the "office manager". No one is training me and I get snappy answers whenever I ask a question. They say there is no manual for the system and have given me two big boxes full of papers for me to sort and figure out what to do with and a computer on my desk for me to figure out the system. All of this for 9/hr!!!! Have I been suckered? I can't go to the owner b/c he doesn't speak good English. I'm not one to quit anything, but geeesh!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

CN in Toronto, Ontario

13 months ago

I was wondering if any one can share his or her interview questions and experience for controller's position ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.