Becoming a corrections officer in PA?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 420)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Giantsfan80

79 months ago

I'm interested in becoming a Corrections Officer in Pennsylvania. I currently live in NJ but am soon moving to PA around Harrisburg area so Camp Hill would be my choice. Is it hard to get hired by PADOC? How long do you have to be a resident of PA? What are the chances of getting into my preferred institution? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (177) / No (43) Reply - Report abuse

jason phillips in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

77 months ago

I am interested in becoming a correction officer in pennsylavania . What are the steps I need to take ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (136) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

Elle in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

77 months ago

jason phillips in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I am interested in becoming a correction officer in pennsylavania . What are the steps I need to take ?

Jason,

What you first have to do is go to our state civil service website, and make yourself a resume and apply for "corrections officer trainee" its always there, they always hire, and schedule yourself to take the "corrections officer" exam...you will have to take it, I live in PA as well and it was about a 1 hr exam on the computer where you answer questions, watch some videos...etc. when you apply, they will ask what counties youre interested in, so you can narrow it down if your looking for something specific, but I would put as many counties as possible. After you do all that, its a waiting game. They contacted me after a year of submitting an application. If you were in the military, it may be sooner, my fiance was contacted after about 6 months. You have to be at least 21. Once contacted you'll have a lengthy application to fill out and be asked to come in for an oral interview...after that once again its a waiting game...they might take a few months to call you. Once hired, you are to take a physical fitness test and psych evaluation at the Elizabethtown training academy (which is where you will train for 6 weeks prior to employment) The most important thing I can stress is having a clean criminal history...a few speeding tickets is one thing, but I DUI or a more serious offense would really hurt ones opportunity for employment. Hoped this helped! Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (94) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

JoJo

74 months ago

My son had a DUI form when he was 21 and became a NJ corrections officer, he was a Police Dispatcher for 8 years prior!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Robbie D

74 months ago

I know lots of correctional police officer, some have dwi's, tohers have minor traffic violations and some even had juvie arrests so don't give up, you may not be elgiable for Police Officer wiht osme of those things but corrections is another story, as long as they were a longggg time ago....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Me in Rochester, New York

74 months ago

Just remember that if your criminal history is not perfect, you will always be competing with those who are. This goes for all criminal justice jobs. Doesn't mean that you will never be hired but be assured that it will have some sort of effect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Marcus

74 months ago

I am a Correction Officer in New Jersey, my Juvinile record was not perfect but I studied Criminal Justice in college and worked Dispatching for many years before applying, I took NJDOP test, got a 88 score and was called almost 2 years later. Go for it if it is in your heart, I wanted to be a Police Officer since I was 5.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sam in Montclair, New Jersey

74 months ago

I am a recent grad with a criminal justice degree. My dream is to become a nj police officer. recently i got a dwi, is my dream over

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

jason in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

74 months ago

sorry 2 say but your dream is over . they will not hire u with a dui . if we get a dui we are fired on the spot

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

jason in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

74 months ago

Giantsfan80 said: I'm interested in becoming a Corrections Officer in Pennsylvania. I currently live in NJ but am soon moving to PA around Harrisburg area so Camp Hill would be my choice. Is it hard to get hired by PADOC? How long do you have to be a resident of PA? What are the chances of getting into my preferred institution? Thanks.

1 year

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

james in Bear Creek, Pennsylvania

74 months ago

hi all, I have been in the PA DOC for over 5 years now. If you have a not so perfect background, it does not mean you are out of luck. Some prisons are looking for people so bad they cant even keep up with the mandated amount of CO's they need. There are prisons that are alot worse than others. If you want to travel to graterford and dont mind working there, they pretty much will take any body, with just about any score. Now, this is going to sound racist, but believe me its not ment to be. IF you are a black male or female, or mexican or whatever, there are many other prime jails that will scoop you right up. Just so they have there numbers correct. (if you know what i mean). So if you want to go to a easier jail, like say retreat, dallas, frackville, or whatever, do your self a favor and take the test and apply to thos prisons. Keep this in mind. The doc is the lowest form of law enforcement out there. its all about filling spots with bodies. You , me, whoever!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Marcus

73 months ago

In New Jersey a DWI is a motor vehicle violation as it should be unless you mame or kill somebody, otherwise it goes on you motor vehicle record, not criminal record, yes law enforcement can see that you have it but it does not stop you from being a corrections officer or a cop for that matter, competition will be harder of course but put some distance between yourself before applying as in more than a few years, Armed servicess, Police dispatching and a Criminal justice degree also help.....you should be ok, I did it and so can you* Don't ever give up on your dream!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

JoJo

73 months ago

in NJ we take Department of Personal test(pick up application @ local Police station) and then you get a certification if & when they need officers, goes by test scores, highest of course get hired 1st or if you are a vet, you are pretty much in too*

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Tisha

72 months ago

To anyone that can help,

I have five misdemeanors and would like to know will thay effect me from becoming a correctional officer for the city of philadelphia

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Girl Interupted

72 months ago

Don't ever give up on you're dreams no matter what they are, never say never about anything in life, if you want it badly and you are a decent human being, you will get it. Take the right road, if the teenage years were not so terrific for you then try hard to make up 4 it and become a hard working, educated and law abiding citizen. You can be whatever you set out to be if you follow these simple rules~ "-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

mr.white

72 months ago

Thats some good advice you have their. good mind set!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Girl Interupted

72 months ago

Thanks Mr. White!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

rena in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

72 months ago

i love 2 help 2 get the bad people off of the street i want phila 2 be a better place 4 the kids and 4 everybogy i will love 2 be a officer of the law

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Omar in La Jolla, California

72 months ago

Hi I was wondering how long will it take to get hired as a corrections officer in San Diego, CA? I go to UCSD and plan on graduating with a BA in Human Development (Psychology)and once given the opportunity to work as a corrections officer apply to become a parole officer. My question is, is it worth waiting to get hired?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

sara in Newton, New Jersey

72 months ago

does a military background help with getting a job as a corrections officer?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Girl Interupted

72 months ago

Yes....Military backround helps for sure!! Go 4 it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sara in Newton, New Jersey

72 months ago

how much schooling along with the military will i need if any?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Girl Interupted

72 months ago

Sara, In NJ you really only need a High School diploma to B a Correctional Police Officer but some college or military won't hurt, being female actually ups your odds right now too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

rosa vasquez in Norfolk, Virginia

72 months ago

Im a 27 year old African American female, who has been in the military for 8 years, i got a shoplifting conviction when I was 19 before i joined the military. will that affect my chances? also is the there a timeframe for taking the entrance exam? or do the allow you to test anytime during the year?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Girl Interupted

72 months ago

Not sure of how oftern you take the civil service test if indeed that is how you get hired in Virginia, in NJ it is once every 2 years, I am sure if you call the Dept. of Corrections they will tell you how & when the testing takes place.
As far as the shoplifting goes, you have a decent time frame between the conviction & now, I am assuming it was a misdemeaner & not a felony right?? It seems you have turned your life around so I would say you probaly have a good chance for Dept. of Corrections, take the exam & go 4 it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Girl Interupted said: Not sure of how oftern you take the civil service test if indeed that is how you get hired in Virginia, in NJ it is once every 2 years, I am sure if you call the Dept. of Corrections they will tell you how & when the testing takes place.
As far as the shoplifting goes, you have a decent time frame between the conviction & now, I am assuming it was a misdemeaner & not a felony right?? It seems you have turned your life around so I would say you probaly have a good chance for Dept. of Corrections, take the exam & go 4 it!

yes it was a misdemeaner and i was told at the time that it would be removed from my record after i paid it off, but i know that for government jobs it will probably still show up. I plan on applying to work in Philly being that i am from there and plan on returning. on the application it says that i need to send in a copy of my dd214 (seperation paperword) to ge veterans preference. i dont get out until January of 09 so i would have to wait until then if i want to use my veterans preference. so should i just wait? does it impact my chances that much?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Girl Interupted

72 months ago

I would wait because Vets defintaly do get preference over civilians that apply.
You R wright, law enforcemnt jobs can see all you criminal & motor vehicle backround so whatever you do don't leave anything out, better to have them see it then find out you lied, being that it is off your record it probably was not that bad and you were a teenager at the time, they will still see it is there but will appreciate your honesty, I think you have a very good shot so again....go 4 it!!!! Good luck to you Rosa*

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Girl Interupted said: I would wait because Vets defintaly do get preference over civilians that apply.
You R wright, law enforcemnt jobs can see all you criminal & motor vehicle backround so whatever you do don't leave anything out, better to have them see it then find out you lied, being that it is off your record it probably was not that bad and you were a teenager at the time, they will still see it is there but will appreciate your honesty, I think you have a very good shot so again....go 4 it!!!! Good luck to you Rosa*

ok last question i swear lol. I have been deployed twice and both times I let my aunt borrow my car, the first deployment she got two parking violations, which were in my name since I owned the car, and didn't pay either of them so they aquired late fees so i ended up paying for them when I returned. when i went to the Philadelphia parking authority the told me that because the car is in my name that I couldn't take them off of my record. Fast forward 3 years I deployed again and left my car with her(she is in her 40s and takes care of my sons when I deploy and she doesnt have a car so I felt kind of obligated) I talked to her about the tickets and she assured me that I wouldn't have the same problem. Well she was kinda right, this time she got like 17 tickets!! I got a boot notice and everything, i only found out because I called home and my grandmother told me. Same sinerio she didnt pay them ontime and they all aquired late fees, Anyway now I have about 20 tickets in my name that i didn't get and i need to know what to do. Am I just stuck with this on my record? (she also ran a $ .25 toll in NJ and didnt pay it so the toll cost me $25.25)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Girl Interupted

72 months ago

ok first thing....NEVER let your Aunt use your car again.....lol but really don't as the car is in your name. Make sure you pay all the tickts ASAP ifyou have not already, You were not evne in the country when this happened so just be honest and tell whoever should ask you about this situation what you just told me, it is not a major incident and can prove you weren't even here so try not to worry, again just be honest, that counts for more than the all the tickets! I really don't think you need to worry about this to much, I know people who had alot worse things on thier records, putting some distance between offenses does help too, Explain & tell the truth and you should be ok, I know in NJ you would probaly be hired for State corrections with everything you just told me, I have family members here in all fields and noone had a perfect record...again good luck!!!!!! Let me know what happens even if it is in a year from now. I want to see you on this forum saying you are a CorrectionsOfficer..."-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

thanks for your help! and yeah i paid them all off!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

rick in Manheim, Pennsylvania

71 months ago

I just took the exam in Harrisburg. I got an 87 is that score good enough? Does anyone know?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Marcus

71 months ago

For Deptartment of corrections that's a pretty good score, I got a 88 and I got called so you might too...good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

joy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

70 months ago

I paid the 35 fee for correctional officer two weeks ago and turned in my application. yhat was the last day they were taking the applications for philadelphia countycorrectional officers. How do I know if they accepted my application or not?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

LaShawn in Brooklyn, New York

70 months ago

I passed the exam to become a correction officer out here in Brooklyn, New York and not too long after that my mom passed away from a very difficult battle with cancer so i decided to relocate to Pennsylvania therefore, I stopped the process out here. I'm still very interested in becoming a correction officer and have been for many years but I really would like to know what is the exact process for this particular position and is there a website I can go to for information regarding this job??? If there is a website, pleeeaaassse somebody help me out and include it in your reply for me, i would really appreciate it very much and it would be very helpful to me. Thank you in advance for your help.... I wouldn't mind hearing from girl interrupted because you seem to have alot of information and you are very detailed with it and like myself you are a greeeaaattt encourager......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Girl Interupted

70 months ago

Hey LaShawn, First I am very sorry about your Mom's passing, hope you are doing better with the passing of time.
I tryed to put the link for PADOC on here but could not.
Just google "Pennsylvania Department of Corrections" or in and a link to their homepage will pop up, click on Job Oppotunities or careers in Corrections and the human resoure page will tell you what you have to do, I think(?) they have a on line application for you to fill out if you choose to do it that way, if not print out the App. and send it to them personally if you want, there are also phone numbers on the website. I beleive that you will have to take the civil service test at some point to be Corrections Officer in Pa. like in NJ.
I copied this (below) from thier webpages but go to the site to get all the info you need! Hope this helps you out a little*
Take care LaShawn & I wish you luck in your career choice too*

The Department of Corrections is currently recruiting Corrections Officer Trainees for all institutions. To be a corrections officer you must: be 21 years old; must meet Pennsylvania residency requirements; pass a written test; pass a medical examination and physical fitness test; pass a drug test; pass a psychological evaluation; and pass a background investigation. There is an immediate need for Corrections Officer Trainees at the following state correctional institutions (SCI): SCI-Graterford in Montgomery County and SCI-Chester in Delaware County. The State Civil Service Commission application for testing will be received until further notice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tony in California in Palm Desert, California

70 months ago

For the first 30 years of my life I have never been in trouble with the law except for an open beer citation I received in 1998. I served 10 years in the military and reached the ranks of E-5 while earning an honorable discharge. I also served in Iraqi Freedom. I also have an A.A., two B.S.'s (one in criminal justice) and am close to getting my Masters in Criminal Justice. Unfortunately, last year I was pulled over and charged with a D.U.I. even though I was not inxocicated as specified on the police report. I however refused the breathalizer and blood test for personal reasons that I regret today. My goal is to one day become either a probation officer or correction officer. Will this still be posible with 1 D.U.I. count?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Hello, I'm not really sure if that is possible or not but I will try and find out for you. Personally with all the other accomplishments that you have under your belt, that one little DUI should not stop them from hiring you at all. However don't let go of your dream because of that one mistake, continue to pursue your dream. Hey you never know right??? Stop worrying about failure or rejection, think about all the chances you miss when you don't even try....... Good luck and I wish you well and I will try and find out that answer for you very soon....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Girl Interupted said: Hey LaShawn, First I am very sorry about your Mom's passing, hope you are doing better with the passing of time.
I tryed to put the link for PADOC on here but could not.
Just google "Pennsylvania Department of Corrections" or in and a link to their homepage will pop up, click on Job Oppotunities or careers in Corrections and the human resoure page will tell you what you have to do, I think(?) they have a on line application for you to fill out if you choose to do it that way, if not print out the App. and send it to them personally if you want, there are also phone numbers on the website. I beleive that you will have to take the civil service test at some point to be Corrections Officer in Pa. like in NJ.
I copied this (below) from thier webpages but go to the site to get all the info you need! Hope this helps you out a little*
Take care LaShawn & I wish you luck in your career choice too*

The Department of Corrections is currently recruiting Corrections Officer Trainees for all institutions. To be a corrections officer you must: be 21 years old; must meet Pennsylvania residency requirements; pass a written test; pass a medical examination and physical fitness test; pass a drug test; pass a psychological evaluation; and pass a background investigation. There is an immediate need for Corrections Officer T

Thanks alot for caring and I really appreciate your attentiveness to my inquiry. I will however look up that site right now and will let you know how things are going for me. Another fellow asked me a question and I told him I would try and find out an answer for him so can you help me out???? He said he has a DWI or a DUI and was wondering if it was still possible for him to become a correction officer? Please try and help me answer his question..... you seem to be so good at answering questions..... again thanks a bunch and i will talk with you real soon..... take care!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Hello again Girl interrupted, I just looged onto the site and I am going through the different icons located on the home page and it has everything that I need to find out about becoming a correction officer in Pennsylvania. Thanks so very much and I still would like to hear from you about that guy's question or you can answer him directly.... I will keep you posted with my quest for employment with the department of corrections.... thanks so much again and again and again.

Girl Interupted

70 months ago

Tony, My son starts working for Department of Corrections in January and he had a DWI convciton in NJ when he was 21, that was 7 years ago, although it is helpful to put some distance (as in years) between when you apply & the DWI, it is not a automatic disqualification (in NJ a DWI is a motor vehicle violation but is some States a misdameaner), meaning Depatment of Corrections is usually more lenient then applying for Municapal Police Officer position snd you may have some explaining to do but they won't DQ you for it in most cases, as LaShawn said give it a shot being you have the degree's in Criminal Justice and continued education, you made a mistake but should not have to pay for it for the rest of your life! Good luck*

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Girl Interupted

70 months ago

Good luck to you LaShawn!!!!!! "-)

70 months ago

Thanks so much Girl interrupted and I really appreciate you answering that question for Tony as well. First I would like to say that the website you gave me helped me a great deal and I was able to retrieve phone numbers and all.... so I want to thank you for that, also you mentioned your son would be starting a position with DOC in January and I was wondering if that position would be located in the state of Pennsylvania???? Thanks again for all your encouragement and insightful help.... there should be more people in the world like you... Thanks a bunch!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rebel3 in whitehall, Pennsylvania

70 months ago

I'm scheduled to take the corrections officer trainee examine in Harrisburg this month. Three questions....How difficult is the examine and is there any way of studying for it. Question 3, When I was 18 I was charged with theft from my employer (a retail store, small amount of $) and completed the ARD program. Quickly learned my lesson, haven't been in trouble since (22 years later), have a family, have always been employed and also ran my own business for 8 1/2 years. Anyway the question is, is my theft record from 22 years ago going to negatively affect my chances of becoming a corrections officer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

R. Whitecloud in Menifee, California

70 months ago

LaShawn in Brooklyn, New York said: Thanks so much Girl interrupted and I really appreciate you answering that question for Tony as well. First I would like to say that the website you gave me helped me a great deal and I was able to retrieve phone numbers and all.... so I want to thank you for that, also you mentioned your son would be starting a position with DOC in January and I was wondering if that position would be located in the state of Pennsylvania???? Thanks again for all your encouragement and insightful help.... there should be more people in the world like you... Thanks a bunch!!!!

Yes there is a book go to your book store Barnes and Nobles and they have the correction exam book there I got minds from there. Called Barron's Correction Office Exam and if they dont have it they will order it for you. It is a very good book. Hope this help.

Girl Interupted

70 months ago

LaShawn, We live in New Jersey & the entrance exams & policies may vary from State to State but I believe that DOC pretty much go by the same qualifications, you really don't need to study but there are books you can buy to get a idea what it is all about and so you will be familiar with the testing when you take it. I took NJ civil service tests a few times and my son took it several times too, we both did really well and neither one of us ever studied.

Rebel, I don't think that the theft will be a major issue, it was a long time ago, just be honest when asked and don't leave it out, DOC is pretty forgiving but appreciate 100% honesty*

rebel3 in Pennsylvania

70 months ago

Thanks for responding to my questions.

Girl Interupted, I know they ask if you have any felonies but I wasn't sure how to answer if they asked about any lower charges because when it all happened, they told me if I completed the ARD program, my record would be clear and I could respond on applications that I was never charged or convicted of a crime.

Sometimes stupidity haunts us for life...I just don't want to screw up this opportunity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Girl Interupted

70 months ago

rebel3 in Pennsylvania said: Thanks for responding to my questions.

Girl Interupted, I know they ask if you have any felonies but I wasn't sure how to answer if they asked about any lower charges because when it all happened, they told me if I completed the ARD program, my record would be clear and I could respond on applications that I was never charged or convicted of a crime.

Sometimes stupidity haunts us for life...I just don't want to screw up this opportunity.

PADOC, NJDOC, etc. can hire you if you had a misdemeaner years ago but never if you had had a Felony~
Yes it is true that on most any application you fill out you would not have to put this down, unfortunatly for any Law Enforcement job even though your record is cleared they will probably see it. Really I can only speak for NJ LE but I would assume it is probaly the same in other States, you can check that out for sure, I am not alawys right....lol In NJ even if you get something expunged they can see you had it, not fair I know. Coming from a family of LE's and and former Criminal Justice major myself I have seen that honesty is the best policy for any jobs involing law enforcement. I would not make much of what you did 22 years ago, they probably won't make much of it either, it is not a Police Officer position and Corrections is far more leinient, now that I know 4 sure... my son's record was not perfect, he had some juvie stuff and they are hiring him so try not to worry about it, also find out if you have to definatley put in on your application, like I said I am going by NJ, maybe in Pa. it can be left off but get a answer before you leave it off, again they won't make to much of it, young people do stupid things sometimes, you don't have to pay for it for the rest of your life, you are not that kid anymore and they will know it.
Good luck Rebel!

rebel3 in Pennsylvania

70 months ago

Girl Interupted said: PADOC, NJDOC, etc. can hire you if you had a misdemeaner years ago but never if you had had a Felony~
Yes it is true that on most any application you fill out you would not have to put this down, unfortunatly for any Law Enforcement job even though your record is cleared they will probably see it. Really I can only speak for NJ LE but I would assume it is probaly the same in other States, you can check that out for sure, I am not alawys right....lol In NJ even if you get something expunged they can see you had it, not fair I know. Coming from a family of LE's and and former Criminal Justice major myself I have seen that honesty is the best policy for any jobs involing law enforcement. I would not make much of what you did 22 years ago, they probably won't make much of it either, it is not a Police Officer position and Corrections is far more leinient, now that I know 4 sure... my son's record was not perfect, he had some juvie stuff and they are hiring him so try not to worry about it, also find out if you have to definatley put in on your application, like I said I am going by NJ, maybe in Pa. it can be left off but get a answer before you leave it off, again they won't make to much of it, young people do stupid things sometimes, you don't have to pay for it for the rest of your life, you are not that kid anymore and they will know it.
Good luck Rebel!

Thank you for the information. If the application asks, I'm going to put it on. I definately agree that honesty is best. I am taking the Pennsylvania CO civil service test and I also applied to a county prison. I've heard county prison working environments are tougher than the state prisons. Any feedback on county versus state?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Girl Interupted

70 months ago

Thank you for the information. If the application asks, I'm going to put it on. I definately agree that honesty is best. I am taking the Pennsylvania CO civil service test and I also applied to a county prison. I've heard county prison working environments are tougher than the state prisons. Any feedback on county versus state?

In NJ the State is tougher than county from what I have heard but I think that may be a personal point of view? Either job you have to be on the ball and be cautious........hope you do well*

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

rebel3 in whitehall, Pennsylvania said: I'm scheduled to take the corrections officer trainee examine in Harrisburg this month. Three questions....How difficult is the examine and is there any way of studying for it. Question 3, When I was 18 I was charged with theft from my employer (a retail store, small amount of $) and completed the ARD program. Quickly learned my lesson, haven't been in trouble since (22 years later), have a family, have always been employed and also ran my own business for 8 1/2 years. Anyway the question is, is my theft record from 22 years ago going to negatively affect my chances of becoming a corrections officer.

Yes indeed that book really works.. I scored very high just because I studied that book, However if you do not want to spend money to purchase that book, they also have it in your local library. That's just another option just in case. However GET THAT BOOK because it will really assist you in scoring extremely high on your test.... Good Luck and I hope everything works out for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.