What degree should I pursue?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

JG in Plainview, New York

85 months ago


I am just beginning my research into a career in counseling and would appreciate someone steering me in the right direction.

I'm interested in working one-on-one or with small groups to help people with their stresses, anxieties, and just daily life problems. Is that a therapist? A counselor? A psychotherapist?

What sort of degree would make the most sense to pursue for a job like this?

Thanks for your help.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

drsnipes in Alachua, Florida

84 months ago

In most states, all three of those represent the same thing. LPCs/LMHCs/LCSWs typically work more with individuals. LMFTs work more with families and couples. Rehabilitation Counselors are nationally certified and tend to focus more on working iwth people with disabilities and addictions.

LCSWs often get paid a little more (mainly for political reasons).

A Counseling Psychologist is the next rung up as far as compensation and recognition in court as an expert.

What type of setting are you wanting to work in? It sounds like you may want to look into being a counselor with a specialty in Employee Assistance. That is the new "buzz" word www.eapassn.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=332

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.