Any LPC's who work @ University in Student Services?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Lisa in Atlanta, Georgia

45 months ago

I'm trying to contact any LPC's who work as an Academic Advisor or a Career Counselor in a University/ College environment. I would like to become a therapist but working with mentally healthy clients. Did yall do an internship in Student services in order to get your position @ University or College? Did you have to work with Psychiatric patients after you graduated with your Masters degree as a LPC? I would love to speak with several therapist who are working closely with college students.
Thank you,
Lisa Weaver from Atlanta, ga.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Tiffany in Minneapolis, Minnesota

39 months ago

Lisa, there are actual degrees that specialize specifically in College Counseling. A graduate of such a program can then work within a higher education setting ( in areas such as career advising, registration, residential life, admissions, academic advising, etc.) My understanding is that maybe colleges and universities would prefer to hire someone with such a degree, over a candidate with a general counseling degree. But if you want to do only mental health counseling, then obviously this would not be the best choice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Atlanta, Georgia

39 months ago

Thank you so much for your reply.

Tiffany in Minneapolis, Minnesota

39 months ago

These programs go by different names. I've seen them called Student Development, Higher Education Leadership, Student Affairs, College Personnel. Some programs focus on student counseling, while others don't. One of the places that I found that lists some of the programs by state is:
www2.myacpa.org/comm/profprep/directory/
I myself became interested in this career after I saw that all of the local jobs in higher education required this degree.
When I spoke to colleges that offer it, they said that all of their graduates are working, and that so many people went back to school, that it created even more jobs for their graduates even in this economy.
I wish I could speak to an actual graduate with this type of degree on this forum, but I haven't found anyone. But anyways.

Lisa in Atlanta, Georgia

39 months ago

Tiffany- hi, I have been going on informational interviews & researching this field. I want to work with mentally healthy people & not in Mental Health. I have been practicing as a nurse & I want to be around some healthy people at this stage of the game. I am 52 years old & I'm interested in a profession that I can do as an elderly person that doesn't kill me like Nursing has. Thank you for the web site!!

Nicole in Kalamazoo, Michigan

25 months ago

Tiffany in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: These programs go by different names. I've seen them called Student Development , Higher Education Leadership, Student Affairs, College Personnel. Some programs focus on student counseling , while others don't. One of the places that I found that lists some of the programs by state is:
www2.myacpa.org/comm/profprep/directory/
I myself became interested in this career after I saw that all of the local jobs in higher education required this degree.
When I spoke to colleges that offer it, they said that all of their graduates are working, and that so many people went back to school, that it created even more jobs for their graduates even in this economy.
I wish I could speak to an actual graduate with this type of degree on this forum, but I haven't found anyone. But anyways.

Tiffany, I am actually getting my MA in College Counseling (Counselor Education & Coun. Psych.) & for one of my assignments I had to interview a college counselor. This would be the best thing for you or anyone curious about working in this field. All you have to do is search any college website for the counselors & email them about your interest in interviewing them. Every individual counselor seems to be a little different, so I'd advise you interview multiple college counselors. For instance, at my school - there are academic counselors, advisers, career counselors, or personal counselors & the community college next door has college counselors that play all of these roles.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.