New Licensing Requirements

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Carrie in Cottonwood, Arizona

46 months ago

I have over 10 years in the mental health field as a therapist, clinical director and program director. I've developed service programs through the university. I have a BA in social work and a M.Ed. in Leadership. I took leadership because I have seen many therapists go into management without any idea on how to facilitate a team to maximize good services to clients. Last year I was working as a Social Worker with Hospice. Now Medicare changed billing requirements and I can't work as a social worker in hospice because I don't' have a masters in social work. I am not allowed to work, according to the new licensing requirements as a therapist either. I looked into doing a masters in social work to solve the problem so I could achieve obtaining a license and found out that since my BA in social work is over ten years old (even though I have maintained all the 40 hours of continued education requirements each year and been active in the field the entire time) I would have to repeat much of the BA social work program before I would be allowed to work on the masters program! I'm still paying for my education from the first time. I have heard others are having this problem which leaves us out of the work force as well. I would like to hear from others and learn about difficulties they might have encountered and possible ways to resolve this dilemma. I have found that I can do a masters in professional counseling (60 units including field experience) that will cost another $30 of education. Love to hear from people....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Oh to ad to the the problem, I'm 49 years old going on 50 very soon.

46 months ago

Oh to ad to the the problem, I'm 49 years old going on 50 very soon...and that cost of education is $30K.

Lisa in Clinton, Washington

46 months ago

Thanks for sharing your story. It sounds as though you have a great background. You have quite a situation in trying to get a job with your current qualifications. I feel for you. What do you want to do in the future? You may need to get that professional counseling degree - maybe a psych degree? I am in a situation where I have a mental health counseling degree and no experience. I can't find a job that will take me without experience. Any suggestions?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.