Thinking about the courier biz

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (22)

Richard Carlisle in Springfield, Missouri

64 months ago

Hay friend, been there, did that.

They will promise you $1.50 per mile and you will be lucky if you gross $.39 per mile. You should have courier's insurance on your vehicle but you will be unable to buy it at any price in some areas. Some of those couriers will tell you they do not require you to have courier's insurance so you had better understand the risks before you sign up.

Try to find out what happened to the person and the worn out car you are going to replace.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

DONT do it in Macedonia, Ohio

62 months ago

Hey, worked for Prestige up in Northern Ohio. Stay away from this company. They're the worst bunch I've ever seen in this industry. Liars and theives. And the pay stinks. Good luck in your searching.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Routesup in Columbus, Ohio

58 months ago

Michaelgray71 in Mount Vernon, Ohio said: I've been thinking about getting into this business in Columbus, Ohio. I've contacted Elite expediting and Premier courier, both want a face to face with me and seem interested due to my background in the trucking industry (7 yrs OTR). I no longer have my semi and bought a ford ranger. Is this a good industry to get into with a small truck?
And what about these companies, are they good to you as IC's? Pay well?
As a trucking IC i know the in's and out's of being an IC as well as the dumping on you get in the industry. Am i looking into the same thing just a smaller version?
Any help would be appreciated.

You want a place that will give you a daily route. not many places do this as soon as you get hired. Try a place called Corporate Transit of America on Commerce Ct Dr in Blacklick. they do route only work so you always know what your pay will be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

benny in Cincinnati, Ohio

58 months ago

is elite expediting reliable they told me i will make 400 dollars for walmart route and will be pay after 3 weeks of start it is true what do u know about them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

wanda in Cleveland, Ohio

57 months ago

If you thinking about taking that job and getting paid $400.00 per week for that Wal-Mart route, consider how long it will take to do the job per day, then add in your expenses to do the run each day.

Your are only making $10.00 per hour on a 40 hour work week. at $400.oo per week.thats before any expenses are taken out Oh Yeah (DONT FORGET YOUR YAXES! at the end of the year.)

Go back and renego. your weekly wage. or dont get out of Bed! its not worth it...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Josh Dylan in Seattle

49 months ago

Can I get an independant courier job without a van...can i do it in a car?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Thom

48 months ago

DONT do it in Macedonia, Ohio said: Hey, worked for Prestige up in Northern Ohio. Stay away from this company. They're the worst bunch I've ever seen in this industry. Liars and theives. And the pay stinks. Good luck in your searching.

What was the issues you had with Prestige?send me a pm if you like.thm56@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Thom

48 months ago

independent contractor in Alexandria, Virginia said: Thom:
I have not contracted with Prestige firm, this firm located in Md
also some parts of Va.but any time that a company has a large
turn over as Prestige that should tell a contractor some thing,
any time that you subcontract with any of these side walk companys
each one pretent that we are the best, I'll use your words
liars and very large theives...each courier will be liars and big
big Theives, all couriers just want to have the work delivered asap
each courier service want you to be a W2 not a 1099 until tax
time or the maintance work on your trucks...

who have you contracted with?,and do they operated from the Cleveland Ohio area?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tomd in Bristol, Connecticut

48 months ago

Thw proble with these companys is they are greetyand they dont care about the customerat all they hire these guys that would do the job for nothingI worked for Prestige befpre also worked for Veloityanothe one that wants you to be at the pharmacy 1/2 hour ealy and then you wait up 2 1 hour or more that when I took the job but caught on what they where doing,the same as the courier at Pharamerica .Velocity does Pharmamerica Thell hell with all of them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Thom

48 months ago

Ladies,and gentlemen.
would it be possible for those of you who have had good experience in the courier / delivery trade to post you comments?
If possible would you also name the companies you worked for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Thom

48 months ago

tomd in Bristol, Connecticut said: Thw proble with these companys is they are greetyand they dont care about the customerat all they hire these guys that would do the job for nothingI worked for Prestige befpre also worked for Veloityanothe one that wants you to be at the pharmacy 1/2 hour ealy and then you wait up 2 1 hour or more that when I took the job but caught on what they where doing,the same as the courier at Pharamerica .Velocity does Pharmamerica Thell hell with all of them

your post is hard to read. proofreading, and spell checking would be advised.
p.s.I understand your emotions.

independent contractor in Alexandria, Virginia

48 months ago

THOM, VELOCITY I ONLY APPLIED TO ONE THAT WAS LOCATED IN VA,BUT IN
STEAD I HAD GONE WITH ANOTHER ONE LASERSHIP WELL SAME SAME....
IT'S ALL ABOUT THOSE COMPANYS.... NEED TO EMPLOYEE ONLY
W2 NOT 1099 I/C, WITH W2 GUYS THAT THEIR MAN GOOD ROLLING TO THEM..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

debshaw in Northfield, Ohio

45 months ago

DONT do it in Macedonia, Ohio said: Hey, worked for Prestige up in Northern Ohio. Stay away from this company. They're the worst bunch I've ever seen in this industry. Liars and theives. And the pay stinks. Good luck in your searching.

I just quit this place,he's right,theives and azzholes,worst bunch of losers I've ever worked with!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Thom

45 months ago

If ,and when you find a good courier/delivery job ,please post it here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

independent contractor in Alexandria, Virginia

45 months ago

OKAY MY FRIEND THIS MAY GIVE YOU A HAND FOR THE NEW YEARS...
ANY WAYS IT'S A START.... A LITTLE BETTER OFF THAN THE LAST FEW
KICKS OFF FOR THE NEW YEARS...TRY THIS FOR A START www.manta.com check this out in all location in the USA... this just may be so work in your area that right up under your nose. if you need more info on this topic just holla .... your
friend...

oh and THOM this is a nice start happy new years....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

gary mayo in Tyler, Texas

38 months ago

to this reply. hello my name is Gary Mayo.,i am 62 yrs. of age. i am in good health. i have been an independent route courier delivery for 61/2 years. idelivered pharmasuticals for the same company with dedicated routs. i have also been in supervision with this company as well. i am very experienced in this field. i would like to this business in the tyler, and surroundin areas, within 150-200 mile range. i have a cargo van, as well as a enclosed 16ft. cargo trailer. please get back with me. thank you. gary mayo

xTonyl in Leslie, Michigan

31 months ago

I work my ass off delivering pharmaceutical supplies for CTA, all the money i had saved up over the past year disappeared when my headgasket blew on my minivan, i had bought another minivan to replace it and in 2 months its gasket was also bad iv lost thousands of dollars buying and repairing my vehicles to no end leaving me at where i started, being an owner/operater is a joke

jlong1949@aol.com in Millerton, Pennsylvania

31 months ago

Well after reading all of the gloom and doom stories of being a self employed couier, maybe i better not.

The N keeper LLC in Washington, District of Columbia

31 months ago

xTonyl in Leslie, Michigan said: I work my ass off delivering pharmaceutical supplies for CTA, all the money i had saved up over the past year disappeared when my headgasket blew on my minivan, i had bought another minivan to replace it and in 2 months its gasket was also bad iv lost thousands of dollars buying and repairing my vehicles to no end leaving me at where i started, being an owner/operater is a joke

Some times my friend this may be the owner/operater cost of doing business for their selves.... it will be greater later...then you will LOL you must enjoy doing this kind of work/business.... and if not now is the time to bail out..... keep this in mind......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Thom in Grafton, Ohio

31 months ago

debshaw in Northfield, Ohio said: I just quit this place,he's right,theives and azzholes,worst bunch of losers I've ever worked with!!!!!

I subcontracted for a company that delivers airline luggage back to their customers.they also had me do package delivery in between luggage delivery.My gross income for the 7 days I was a contractor didnt cover my gasoline expenses.It wasnt going to get any better,so I quit.

The N keeper LLC in Washington, District of Columbia

31 months ago

SMART GUY....ALL COMPANY ARE OUT JUST FOR THE COMPANY ONLY...
WE'RE JUST EMPLOYEE TO ALL COMPANY....UNTIL THE 1099 COMES TIME TO BE PAID..... YOU WILL GET YOUR W9 AND WHAT....IF I HAD MADE THIS AMOUNT OF MONEY I WOULD STILL BE EMPLOYEED.... KEEP YOUR HEAD UP .... LARGE TURN OVERS THAT THE KEY TO BE ON THE LOOK OUT FOR.....THIS COMPANY A BANDIT....WHEN YOUR SUBCONTRACTED THIS IS A
BUSINESS ALSO... YOU HAVE EXPENSES ALSO...

daustin59@nycap.rr.com in Saratoga Springs, New York

13 months ago

i worked for GIOexpress out of glen falls n.y . it was agood company to work for. the pay wasgood .Idrove 320 miles a day and iloved the job.I made one stupid mistake and theylet me go.Iworked 4 years for the company

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.