Comments (1 to 50 of 112)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Cynthia DLR in Camden, New York

70 months ago

Is everyone finding it this difficult to find employment

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jamie in Louisville, Kentucky

70 months ago

I am a mother of three and trying to find a job worth my wild.That pays enough , for someone who is very smart and has talents in a little of everything its even hard for me to find a job because of the economy now days. I am a very very very hard worker and determined to success for my children and i am a quick learner, so if anyone is interested email me at jamiewolney@yahoo.com i wont let u down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Indeed Help in Stamford, Connecticut

69 months ago

Hello Jamie, You will have the most success finding the job you want by using our search engine. Just type in job title, company, or keyword into the search field at the top of this page and click "Find Jobs". Best of luck with your search!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

hbender@bellsouth.net in Wilmington, North Carolina

69 months ago

Cynthia DLR in Camden, New York said: Is everyone finding it this difficult to find employment

Hello, yes, it is veeerryy hard these days to find a good job or any job at all, I'm laif off too and have been looking for 5 months now - no luck, tell me about it...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cynthia DLR in Syracuse, New York

69 months ago

I wish you alot of luck in your job search it HAS to get better out there

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RV in Los Angeles, California

69 months ago

It has been extremely hard to find a job. I have been looking for approx 2 months now and have had only one interview. I was extremely overqualified, they like the lifers for some positions. I am planning to apply for low level positions without listing my college degree, that might do the trick. Just to have some type of income coming in. I desperately need the money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Denise in Brooklyn Park, MN in Hamel, Minnesota

69 months ago

Cynthia DLR in Camden, New York said: Is everyone finding it this difficult to find employment

I've been looking for work for almost a year had a couple of temp jobs for only weeks at a time neither was from any of the temp services which I applied at. They're quick to get you in the door to take their tests and then quickly forgotten about after you walk out the door. I have had alot of interviews but theres so many out there I guess I don't stick out enough. Frustrated in Brooklyn Park,MN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Trish in Florence, Kentucky

68 months ago

Yes, I've never been unemployed this long in my working life. There is nothing much out there and too much competition for what is.......

Whatever in Minneapolis, Minnesota

68 months ago

8 months and counting. Twice I've been accepted and had the job evaporate while waiting for the start date. Frustrating.

Charles43 in Porterville, California

68 months ago

Here is

Interview Tips

1. What are you looking for?
Interviewing is just like playing darts. The interviewer's screening criteria is the target and each dimension of your talent is represented by a dart. At the start of the interview you must find the target and decide which 3 "experience darts" to present. "What skills do you feel are required to be successful in this position?" is an effective question for you to ask at the start ("opening phase") of the interview. If you don't ask an "opening" question you are shooting your talent darts in the dark.

2. Ask Questions:
It is your responsibility to make sure the interview is an interview and not an interrogation. You do this by asking questions throughout the interview. If you don't ask questions you force the interview to be an interrogation.

3. Specific Examples:
Interviewers ask questions about your past experience to predict your future performance. In response to thier questions provide specific examples of your work and life experience. Focus on the actions you took and the results achieved. Interviewers are less interested in what "the team did" or what you were "responsible for". They want to know what you did. Behavioral Event Interviewing is a strategy used by skilled interviewers where they ask you for specific examples of your experience.

4. How do you like me so far?
At the conclusion of each interview ask the interviewer for their opinion of your background. Ask them what they feel your strengths are and what concerns they have about your ability. Interviewers form opinions based on a 45 minute interview. The potential for misunderstanding is enormous. Ask a couple questions at the end to make sure they understand your experience accurately.
5. Visual Aids:
Bring visual aids whenever applicable to convey the quality of your work. You can even prepare a few PowerPoint slides or one pa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

youngandweary in West Palm Beach, Florida

68 months ago

I also find it hard. I am pretty exhausted. I have zero energy. I spend more hours a day looking for a job than I would if I were working. I am really really tired. I have a strong resume, 3 degrees, I work hard...it's hard for me to find a job where I will be paid appropriately and treated with even a remote form of respect. I know that doesn't matter to some people but like harassment, disrespect and unfair practices really exhaust a person, hurts your spirit and weight you down. I'm only 30 but I am so tired I cannot even explain. I have had a solid 10 years of this. Where do you look for work if even your program advisor from school, workforce development, the Internet and "networking" (although for me that doesn't work because you go to business socials and people spend more time hitting on each other than developing good leads) don't get you anywhere?

RV in California, I am told the same thing regarding over-qualification. Some jobs reject me in less than 24 hours...how can they even check your references by then? They see a degree and make terrible assumptions about who I am. I just want a decent job. I dunno about even a good job, that is asking too much...but moderately decent. I know for a fact that some jobs in South FL (I don't want to name the companies) discriminate against you if you went to college. I saw two jobs offering 68K for a high school diploma and 5 years experience. I have more than 5 years experience and a Masters and they wouldn't even give me an interview, not even a call. They immediately rejected my resume without a chance. I would kill to make 68K, I don't ask for 100K although some people with my resume get it. I have never even come close to 68K. I have done 90K IT work for a receptionist pay as I am a minority female, so I expect that at this point. I dunno what to do. I went to church on Sunday to pray about this and hopefully let all of the last decade of damage go so I can try to look forward and hope for something better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

saipeople in kingwood, Texas

68 months ago

Yes, getting job nowadays is becoming very tough.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Jamie in Louisville, Kentucky said: I am a mother of three and trying to find a job worth my wild.That pays enough , for someone who is very smart and has talents in a little of everything its even hard for me to find a job because of the economy now days. I am a very very very hard worker and determined to success for my children and i am a quick learner, so if anyone is interested email me at jamiewolney@yahoo.com i wont let u down.

As A mom did you know that you can use your skills when applying for job, let see you a housekeeper, Money, Suppy,
Food Services , and business manager. if you look up job skill that deal with being a business owner it may help, then you can use them to get your next job. and thanks to all the moms

E Greer in PITTSBURG, California

68 months ago

YES IT IS. I have been an in home care provider for the elderly and disabled for 8 years. You would think with all this experience in healthcare jobs would just fall in my lap, but they don't!

E Greer in PITTSBURG, California

68 months ago

RV in Los Angeles, California said: It has been extremely hard to find a job. I have been looking for approx 2 months now and have had only one interview. I was extremely overqualified, they like the lifers for some positions. I am planning to apply for low level positions without listing my college degree, that might do the trick. Just to have some type of income coming in. I desperately need the money.

I have to say one thing that my friend and i agree upon with the whole "overqualified" thing. That is just employer talk for "we don't want to pay you what you're worth" or "as soon as you find a better job you'll leave". I have been told that too many times myself. I mean if I am not happy with the pay or the job i'm not gonna even waste their time or mine, right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

68 months ago

Mary - Tampa, Florida. Legal assitant. Unemployed since April. I'm doing substitute teaching (9.50 an hour). I got teacher certification last year. Doing the subbing helps with building my teaching skills and keeps me from using up my unemployment.

P.S.: I'm cut and pasting the Interview Tips.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Charles43 in Visalia, California

68 months ago

RV in Los Angeles, California said: It has been extremely hard to find a job. I have been looking for approx 2 months now and have had only one interview. I was extremely overqualified, they like the lifers for some positions. I am planning to apply for low level positions without listing my college degree, that might do the trick. Just to have some type of income coming in. I desperately need the money.

You're Over-QualifiedSunday, January 4, 2009 1:47 PM
From: "Interview Mastery" <listserver@interviewmastery.com>To: "Charles Wierzbicki" <atas7025@yahoo.com>

January

You're Over-Qualified

By Michael R. Neece, CEO Interview Mastery

Interviewers say you're over-qualified when they're concerned that you'll be bored in the position and leave as soon as you find a better job. If the interviewer perceives that the position will under utilize your talents, they express this concern by saying you're over-qualified.
Your response strategy for this situation is;

First, say you agree with them that you bring a great deal of talents to this position and you feel very qualified.
Second, express your interest in this opportunity.
Third, explain why this is the right position for you at this time and
Fourth, you ask a question.
Here's an example of how this response strategy sounds:

“I agree with you that there are many strengths I bring to this position. I'm certainly very qualified. My specific strengths include ... (you insert 2-3 strengths).
I understand the responsibilities of this role and I'm very interested. I feel that this is the right position for me at this time because...(you briefly describe your reasons, like the ones listed below).
...it leverages many of my current talents, allows me to translate my skills into a related industry and, provides an opportunity to work with other talented professionals.”
“Does this make sense?” ... “Have you made moves like this before

68 months ago

I've said that before Visalia but they don't really care. Most employers make their mind up about you before you walk in the door if you have a degree so why bother groveling then? The problem is that often the person who will supervise you or anyone relevant to the actual position doesn't do the interviewing sometimes. Often times, it is someone in HR who in all honesty is not even qualified for the job you are applying for. I try to have an upbeat attitude and go in positively but in the past, I have had an HR manager say the following statements to me even AFTER another person at a company offered me the job...

"So and So was very impressed with your resume. I dunno what the big deal is. Hmmmph. Well we aren't looking for some know it all to come take her job. Oh and you are almost done with a masters...so why come work here anyway?"

All of this occurred with a vile and contemptuous attitude. I explained to this woman that I came for the job I applied for, not my future boss's. Furthermore, she proceeded to knock 2K off of the salary I was previously offered and harassed me the first 3 months I was on the job. When she realized that I wasn't going to show her any fear or any of the disrespect that she showed me, she left me alone and could no longer make eye contact with me. It shouldn't be this way but many of my friends in professional positions have some kind of silent war with HR departments. When I am interviewed by a future manager or someone relevant to the position, I always land the job...when it is HR I have to worry about wearing a bulletproof vest....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

joe in North Easton, Massachusetts

68 months ago

I've given up all hope. The jobs listed in the papers and websites aren't even available half the time. 50% of the jobs listed are stuff you see on ripoffreport.com. The jobs that are available have 4,00000 people that are more qualified than you applying for them. And whoever said the HR managers already have their mind made up before you walk in is right. Its just really a hopeless situation right now IMO. It'll get better but not for a long time.

68 months ago

I totally agree with you Joe...their minds are made up. The psychology of HR is something I would definitely want to explore, I may pull some journal articles to review the literature on the topic since my password for the school library still works!

My issue is the reverse, I am told I am too qualified but I think it is just that the people don't like me before I even walk in the door.

I just applied for a job and got an email back that the position has magically be "cancelled" I am not even mad, I just laughed. I am sure that they are hiring who they want for the position and don't have the balls to send me a professional rejection letter. LOL. Whatever...

I dunno how I can put all the cruel things about jobs in the past and look to the future when the same things are happening in the present. I take responsibility for what I do and my mistakes but seems no one else around these parts will do the same thing. Florida is a tough state to get a job that matches the cost of living anyway.

swbles@gmail.com in Goshen, Connecticut

68 months ago

I know its a terrible time due to the economy but I have a job and I'm not very happy, so I'm looking for another. I guess its good to look at my own pace, any advice?

Thanks
Sandy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Try to network at your company if possible Sandy. If you have any people you can trust there, use them as a resource. Also, your current company can be a launching pad to another. A company I worked for a long time ago had a company I more recently worked for as a client, if you get my drift. ;) Good luck to you and all of us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Laquisha in Cleveland, Ohio

68 months ago

Yes the economy is bad now but i have been successful having a home based travel business its really great to be a travel agent. If you want some info you can email me at harmon.laquisha@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

joe in North Easton, Massachusetts

68 months ago

swbles@gmail.com in Goshen, Connecticut said: I know its a terrible time due to the economy but I have a job and I'm not very happy, so I'm looking for another. I guess its good to look at my own pace, any advice?

Thanks
Sandy

Just apply to places you might like but don't burn your bridges until you have another job lined up.

68 months ago

No offense but that is the kind of thing that pisses me off. Wanting a good or even decent job with with benefits and people coming around with at home programs that every single credible employment website and even the bureau of labor warns against. Most people in this economy cannot afford to assume new risk with such endeavors. I guess what people like me want is out of the question at this point in this economy. For me though, every industry my resume intersects are industries not directly impacted by the economy, they are industries with mediocre HR gatekeepers inviting their pals instead of qualified people or industries where they ask for "voluntary" demographic information to be sure that they can eliminate you instead of being surprised at an interview. ;) I have to admit, that surprised look on their face when they thought you would be someone else based on the paper deserves a good chuckle.

Sandy, I think people who want a job where you feel ok there as you mentioned being unhappy...I dunno...seems like a huge battle. I hope it can be won one day.

68 months ago

Youngandweary: Sad is the day where we have to know someone to get a job; and should we not be so blessed, we have vultures waiting to take advantage of us. At least one thing we do get out of education, as our mothers always told us, be weary of men trying to get in your pants, so is true of vultures - at least those of us with education know what a vulture is when we see it.
On another thread somewhere, someone is tauting a great business venture - selling candles.

68 months ago

As an afterthought, rather than try to sell someone candles as a business venture, I would be more inclined to sell sex toys or videos. At least they would give us something to look forward to and would have a use. A guess with a candle we can use it to pray for a job.

68 months ago

Hahaha. Mary, I personally wouldn't want to sell those toys but I hear of people making a great living doing so.

The jobs I am interested in elude me because I don't know enough big names in the field, although the few that I do know have NO solutions or advice that can help me...I've asked, and there are gatekeepers doing their best to insult me and stand in my way. I wish I knew how to overcome these two obstacles.

Sorry for your troubles Mary. I really hope something changes in 2009...something. I really do. I am not sitting around doing nothing, every day is work towards trying to get a decent job. It' sad but it's hard for me to expect a good one at this point, just decent, harassment free and paid what everyone else gets for the work that they do and not less due to demographics I cannot control or change.

theresa50@windstream.net in Worthington Springs, Florida

68 months ago

Yes it is very had to find work I have been layed off since 04/08 and can not find anything, my experience is 22 years as CSR, Data Entry as well as receptionist. I have not been able to find anything so now I am even trying to find work flipping hamburgers but so far no luck there, I WILL TAKE ANYTHING I CAN FIND, if anyone know's any place hiring e-mail me at theresa50@windstream.net
Thanks and good luck to everyone times are hard, but we all have to keep the faith heads high and keep trying.

Jamie in Louisville, Kentucky

68 months ago

Would love tp work from home , i have small children so i can take them to school and also go to school my self. I work at a dead end job now and it is not getting it or paying enough. Please email me

elisabethwilch@bellsouth.net in Jacksonville, Florida

68 months ago

I have also been trying to find a job. When I reply to one listed on this network, they refer you to another one and it says you can sign in at a certain time. They do give you a username and password. I tried it a couple of times but no luck. Anyone knows what is going on?

Indeed Help in Stamford, Connecticut

68 months ago

Hello elisabethwilch, You will have the most success finding the job you want by using our search engine. Just type in job title, company, or keyword into the search field at the top of this page and click "Find Jobs". Best of luck with your search!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Charles43 in Visalia, California

67 months ago

I find that indeed.com Is one of the best job seach site around

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pebcle in Cleveland, Ohio

67 months ago

YES . . . it's difficult if you have a degree in a profession that no one understands (vet tech/medical degree) & experience (13 + years) but the work environment is so misrepresented (abusive @ most clinics) so you try & try to get any job trying to translate all your skills & experience & you can't get help @ a reemployment center to specialize in all the medical fields that you know (you name it, we vet techs take pre requisite classes & do it all on the job. And you're 57 years old. I'm finding that some of these on line job sites are linked to on line schools or lottery win/heiress inheritance sites that flood your email, too.

67 months ago

I had a friend who had to "dumb down" her resume to get hired in journalism & photography despite her degree(s). You're supposed to list your skills & talents & experience on your resume but that seems to disqualify you from jobs.

67 months ago

Denise in Brooklyn Park, MN in Hamel, Minnesota said: I've been looking for work for almost a year had a couple of temp jobs for only weeks at a time neither was from any of the temp services which I applied at. They're quick to get you in the door to take their tests and then quickly forgotten about after you walk out the door. I have had alot of interviews but theres so many out there I guess I don't stick out enough. Frustrated in Brooklyn Park,MN

It seems like if you are a senior (40 + years old), you can't even get temp agencies to process your file no matter how experienced or skilled or educated you are.

67 months ago

swbles@gmail.com in Goshen, Connecticut said: I know its a terrible time due to the economy but I have a job and I'm not very happy, so I'm looking for another. I guess its good to look at my own pace, any advice?

Thanks
Sandy

Whatever you do, don't let your present employer know that you're looking for another job unless it's a part time income augment type like my boss understands. Many people w/vet tech degrees like I have need two incomes; some associate veterinarians need to have another job, too. We're degreed professionals. I got so burned out w/working the jobs of 2-3 people for a decade that I'm content w/a part time front desk job where I can apply my knowledge. This changed somewhat w/new management (everyone note, new management means sayonara old hirees almost everywhere), so I'm a receptionist who does appointments/reservations for a boarding kennel that does grooming. At least I have a good manager; that's more important than any job itself.

67 months ago

hbender@bellsouth.net in Wilmington, North Carolina said: Hello, yes, it is veeerryy hard these days to find a good job or any job at all, I'm laif off too and have been looking for 5 months now - no luck, tell me about it...

At least you got "laid off." I put in a professional courtesy two week notice & got fired a week later, which blacklisted me (52 year old single woman) in my own profession (veterinary technology) after 13 years.

Denise in Osseo, Minnesota

67 months ago

I dont know about "dumb looading" resume, I wass told it would be better to have certiicates, schools on the resume or to go back to school. I have more schools calling me now than 25 years ago. Then about they reply to my last comment taht was responded to (40+) experienced and educated these temp agencies seem to have a quota but I'm really not included in what they want, they stink, I have had a bad taste about them this whole year. I'm a pretty young looking 45 year old, I started at this transitional place this week and one of the young kids couldn't believe I was 45.

67 months ago

It a good to learn to upload cover letter and resumes it save time in stead of sending hours filing out online applying that get old fast. and yes if you can fit them on a one page resume. and being in my mid 40s. I can recall when it did to " you are that old no way"

Yoni Janak in Houston, Texas

67 months ago

Market is really bad for all jobs. I am s Software Engineer and if you are looking for developer jobs. Join SoftwareGT they are hiring. softwareGT is doing an awesome job.

67 months ago

I agree that you have to make your resume appear stupid or less qualified to get hired. Removing education and skills generate more calls than being a true professional...even in higher-level positions. Most companies see dollar signs go away when they see a weak resume and are willing to hire to cut 10K-30K or more off of a salary. Gotta love how people are playing around with our lives.

The whole job market makes me hurl. Lately, I actually get physically sick when searching for and applying for jobs. It is a physical response. I have migraine headaches and nausea all of the time not to mention fatigue, muscle aches and other symptoms and signs. At this point, it seems impossible to remain even slightly optimistic when having to look for work or work somewhere and be treated like a dog. Some people are able to remain happy despite this, I read all the books bla bla bla but it is very hard to be happy with the time spent at work...I am starting to realize that the rest of your life has to be happy so that you have the strength to fight during the unmentionable 40 hours. For now, I try to make sure the rest of my life is happy and fulfilled since the work part of it may never be.

67 months ago

Yes, & when you do the math for hours in a day, subtract recommended sleep, you count commute & work for a substantial statement about your mental & physical health. This whole country is in a community (cultural) collapse as well as economic w/out solid families, so most of us don't have the foundation that keeps us steady when the job situation is a vortex to hell(it's been four years, & I still have nightmares about my previous job of more than dozen years @ a vet clinic. Loved working as a vet tech but I was tormented by bullies on staff continuously (mocked because I loved the job), & I couldn't earn a living wage).

67 months ago

That is really sad. I have had nightmares about past jobs too! Not cool! I just try to focus on the good outside of work/jobs (friends, close family, hobbies)...that is what keeps me going despite horrible years of work experience and looking for work now.

67 months ago

Yoni Janak in Houston, Texas said: Market is really bad for all jobs. I am s Software Engineer and if you are looking for developer jobs. Join SoftwareGT they are hiring. softwareGT is doing an awesome job.

At a local reemployment center, I lost count of how many people are/were in some type of IT job (another much promoted study field for all kinds of continuing education) only to find themselves outsourced regularly no matter how they tried to augment their education w/more IT. Some people had success w/one or two well paid short term duration singularly focused job(s) every year.

67 months ago

A funny thing I see is when a complicated job only wants HS diploma, no higher education, and the job pays really well...so I submit anyway, the worst they can say is no, right? Well one place local to me, a government entity, sends me a rejection in less than 24 hours, says the position is filled, then reposts the position the next week. I have watched them do this since 2004. The are pretty adamant about not hiring anyone with a college education. That is what I am hearing from other people. Crazy stuff. Everyone just wants to eat and pay bills...you know, little stuff...

67 months ago

Well one place local to me, a government entity, sends me a rejection in less than 24 hours, says the position is filled, then reposts the position the next week. I have watched them do this since 2004.

Most likely, the OWN that advertising spot (like a billboard) - and something has to go in it. It is much cheaper for them to keep something in that spot, and get flooded with resumes, then to let the spot go. You get a rejection within 24 hours because it's automated - no one even looked at your resume.

67 months ago

LOL. That is hilarious. I knew of private corporations doing that, not divisions of the government. Too funny...

67 months ago

My thing is why then will a person from a personal email address email me, tell me the position is filled, then repost the same job a week later. I went to their actual website and the job is listed there, so it isn't a random made up position like a filler. I dunno, I think what you are saying is true for many companies but I think something else is going on with the organization I am speaking of.

Denise in Osseo, Minnesota

67 months ago

Well, here they want some type of schooling to be a receptionist and only pay $9.50-$10.00 per hour. Where do you win, no you don't, they do.

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.