in regards to felonies who can't get jobs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (40)

Becky in Houston, Texas

54 months ago

you don't ...you admit that you did something am move on...only if you are asked about it...most companies asked on the ap if you have a conviction and they usually asked details...I don't think this will disqualify you from all jobs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Becky in Houston, Texas

53 months ago

If you were in school after this happened...the school should have been on the up and up with you because I drug conviction never looks good. I would try and talk to the director of the department and tell them. You should have some proof that you went through a rehab progam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

John apps in Apo

51 months ago

Becky in Houston, Texas said: you don't ...you admit that you did something am move on...only if you are asked about it...most companies asked on the ap if you have a conviction and they usually asked details...I don't think this will disqualify you from all jobs

I think you will be fine. You did the right thing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kim in Norfolk, Virginia

50 months ago

I do agree i have never sold drug or done time but i feel were these people are coming from.You do the crime you do the time.These people have paid there debt to the system.If i was these people i would right to the president.Reason they let felony vote last year but they wont give them a job were is the system when u need it.To all that going through this keep your head up and hold on to your faith .Keep praying to god about it thing are going to get better .Im a single woman with one child a sorry father that never did anyhting for her and it hard.I got layed off of my job and it been hell every since .I pray every day that some one will call .I never sold drug but i still feel your pain it hard out here.I never use the system but u got some woman that do and wont even go look for one and it make it hard out here for the woman that have to support there children on there own .So it kind of have a similar so to say .But to the guy that came out did there bid and still trying keep on brother a door will open

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

DadMike in Baltimore, Maryland

50 months ago

Diana in Tucson, Arizona said: I sold cigs to a minor in a store, ( i didn't card the customer), got caught! Paid a fine of $180 took a 8 hr class and it was dismissed off my record, but it still shows up on a background check, for jobs! How in the hell do you get rid of it?

Don't know about Arizona laws, but that sounds like a misdemeanor, and you can get an attorney to see if that can be expunged!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jseeg66 in Orange Park, Florida

50 months ago

I have a few DWI's, no drivers license in Florida and no felonies, No one wants to hire me, employers want to check your drivers license to check your character, jobs taht have nothing to do with driving want to know about your driving history ...It is a sign of the times..a way to weed people out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

DadMike in Baltimore, Maryland

50 months ago

Check out Prisoner's Aid Society- it's a national group; I know there's one in Baltimore; when I was a Division of Correction Social Worker we had a list of companies willing to hire ex-felons, as did Prisoner's Aid- and they helped with housing and other stuff, too, once people were released; Work Release and Home Detention ("on the box") programs had a big list, too-- don't know if they'd just give it out, but if you know someone on the box or weekend detention or something maybe they get one; POs should have a list too; SHOULD.....if they are a responsible agency. Good luck to you all- I worked with alot of dudes that did things just to survive, nothing crazy-violent or anything, good stand-up guys that were trusted with all sorts of jobs inside and did well-- what alot of people don't realize is street-level dealers often have to work long, hard hours in dangerous conditions, give good customer service in their own fashion, and keep track of cash and goods REAL well; that's a good set of skills that could be well applied to something legal. There are real nasty crooks out there- don't get me wrong, I believe in punishment for the crime!- but once time is served, it's served- don't help anyone to just let people out w/o hope of supporting themselves!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NEED WORK in Akron, Ohio

49 months ago

Diana in Tucson, Arizona said: I sold cigs to a minor in a store, ( i didn't card the customer), got caught! Paid a fine of $180 took a 8 hr class and it was dismissed off my record, but it still shows up on a background check, for jobs! How in the hell do you get rid of it?

TRY BEING 25 NEVER BEEN IN THE SYSTEM FOR ANYTHING IN YOUR LIFE AND YOU DECIDE TO GET SERVICES FROM THE CABLE COMPANY IN A MADE UP NAME, SOCIAL, AND BIRTHDATE JUST SO YOUR KIDS CAN WATCH CABLE, I KNOW DUMB, NOT THINKING,BUT STILL A MISTAKE I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE CABLE FRAUD OR THEY WOULD JUST CUT IT OFF BESIDES I WAS PAYING THE BILL,IT TURNED OUT TO BE IDENITY FRAUD SO THEY SAY JUST TO GET ME IN THE SYSTEM I GUESS BUT I HAVE 2 CHILDREN AND IT IS SOOOOOOOOOOOO HARD NOT BEING ABLE TO WORK HOW IS ANY ONES IDENITY STOLEN IF EVERYTHING WAS MADE UP?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

239 in Lehigh Acres, Florida

49 months ago

expunge it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

liza9897 in Chicago, Illinois

43 months ago

hi everybody i have a questioned. I just plead guilty to 8 counts of wire fraud. I have one 4year old son, my sentencing is in april. Wat do u think they will give me? Also where can i get a job. Or wat can i go to school for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mizdough in Chicago, Illinois

39 months ago

Jseeg66 in Orange Park, Florida said: I have a few DWI's, no drivers license in Florida and no felonies, No one wants to hire me, employers want to check your drivers license to check your character, jobs taht have nothing to do with driving want to know about your driving history ...It is a sign of the times..a way to weed people out.

email me professionals4you@gmail.com Leave name and number

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mizdough in Chicago, Illinois

39 months ago

SHAWT in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE SYSTEM!! THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO SELL DRUGS BUT YET STILL YOU CANT GET A JOB ANYWHERE EVERYONE CHECK FOR FELONIES, THERE SHOULD BE A LINE DRAWN FOR EXAMPLE RETAIL OR ANY PLACE OF BUSINESS WITH MERCHANDISE OF VALUE SUCH AS BANKS RETAIL STORES ANYTHING DEALING WITH MONEY SHOULD DO BACK GROUND CHECKS AND LOOK FOR FELONIES PERTAINING TO THEFT FRAUD ETC. BUT FELONIES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING OTHER THAN THAT LABLED AS A NO HIRE THATS RIDICULOUS AND WHEN YOUR IN COURT IT'S LIKE THE JUDGE AND EVERYONE ELSE IS TAUNTING YOU THEY TELL YOU WHEN YOU GET OUT DON'T SELL DRUGS MAKE A HONEST LIVING!! HOW EVEN WHEN A CASE HAS BEEN DROPPED IT STILL SHOW UP ON YOUR BACKGROUND! SO OTHER THAN SELLING DRUGS HOW ELSE ONE IS SUPPOSE TO TAKE CARE OF THEIR FAMILY??? SHOULD THEY GO OUT ROBBING & STEALING JUST TO HAVE THEIR WHOLE LIFE SNATCHED AWAY IF ANYONE READS THIS AND UNDERSTAND WHERE IM COMING FROM PLEASE TRY TO FIND SOMEONE TO ADDRESS THIS ISSUE!!!!!!!!!!

email me professionals4you@gmail.com Leave name and number

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Columbia, South Carolina

39 months ago

The Nation HIRE Network (Helping Individuals With Criminal Records Reenter Through Employment) is a resource you might want to look at hirenetwork.org. They list state-specific resources and agencies that may be able to help. Also, consider applying for jobs with county or city government. Both here in Columbia do not discount an employee just because they may have a criminal record.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

505vote in Albuquerque, New Mexico

34 months ago

SHAWT in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE SYSTEM!! THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO SELL DRUGS BUT YET STILL YOU CANT GET A JOB ANYWHERE EVERYONE CHECK FOR FELONIES, THERE SHOULD BE A LINE DRAWN FOR EXAMPLE RETAIL OR ANY PLACE OF BUSINESS WITH MERCHANDISE OF VALUE SUCH AS BANKS RETAIL STORES ANYTHING DEALING WITH MONEY SHOULD DO BACK GROUND CHECKS AND LOOK FOR FELONIES PERTAINING TO THEFT FRAUD ETC. BUT FELONIES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING OTHER THAN THAT LABLED AS A NO HIRE THATS RIDICULOUS AND WHEN YOUR IN COURT IT'S LIKE THE JUDGE AND EVERYONE ELSE IS TAUNTING YOU THEY TELL YOU WHEN YOU GET OUT DON'T SELL DRUGS MAKE A HONEST LIVING!! HOW EVEN WHEN A CASE HAS BEEN DROPPED IT STILL SHOW UP ON YOUR BACKGROUND! SO OTHER THAN SELLING DRUGS HOW ELSE ONE IS SUPPOSE TO TAKE CARE OF THEIR FAMILY??? SHOULD THEY GO OUT ROBBING & STEALING JUST TO HAVE THEIR WHOLE LIFE SNATCHED AWAY IF ANYONE READS THIS AND UNDERSTAND WHERE IM COMING FROM PLEASE TRY TO FIND SOMEONE TO ADDRESS THIS ISSUE!!!!!!!!!!

This is our American system, first if you live in a state you can get your voting rights restored do it!! Be honest with the employer and keep trying.. Contact your Congress person and the Governors office.. in some states you can get a Department of Health Clearence for the background issue,it will allow you to work in areas that will not hire if you had drug charges and it covers other convictions determinations is based on your state laws.. Our system is set-up to keep you in the system once you get in it..One of the rap stars wrote the lyrics we have money for Wars but can't feed the poor or something of that manner..Most of the laws mandating felony background checks and regulations are made at and from the state level..They always have jobs at the prisons and therefore must keep them full. It's all about money and state revenue for states that keep strick laws for ex-felons!The issues are where most of our problems lay in ourSTATE/FED GOVERMENT

moby in Chicago, Illinois

33 months ago

I got a felony on driving on a suspended license and they hired me for a customer service position will I ever be able to work in sells

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

FelonInPhx in Phoenix, Arizona

33 months ago

Arizona does NOT have a rule for expungements! Trust me, I know. You have to apply to get the Conviction Set Aside. Doesn't get rid of it, just seals it like a juvenile record.

DadMike in Maryland

33 months ago

FelonInPhx in Phoenix, Arizona said: Arizona does NOT have a rule for expungements! Trust me, I know. You have to apply to get the Conviction Set Aside. Doesn't get rid of it, just seals it like a juvenile record.

That sucks. Sorry to hear it.

secondchance2 in Riverside, California

32 months ago

This all started when my mother passed away in June of 2003, at the time of her death I was unaware of any burial insurance she may have had and needed to get all of her arrangements taken care of , because I was not financially secure enough at the time to cover these very large expenses, I had to use her own retirement funds to bury her, she never got a chance to enjoy one dime of the money she had worked over 32yrs to compile, while working for the County of Los Angel es, before she died of CHF, at the young age of 66. In order to do this, however, I had to transfer her funds ($32,000.00) from her account to mine to take care of this situation. I was unaware that she had left beneficiaries (my daughter 25yrs, my niece 23yrs & my youngest niece 17yrs) on this acct. Unfortunately, in order to transfer these funds I had to sign a check in her name so that I could remove the funds from this acct. to mine, I had no idea that my family knowing the circumstances would ever find that this act would warrant criminal proceeding after walking every mile with me during this process, however, charges were placed on me by my oldest niece, whom I raised all of her life, because her mom was incapable due to life choices, that made her an inadequate mother.

I have never been in any kind of trouble like this before and when I was made aware of these charges I went to the court house and started the proceeding to clear my name. I was never sought out by police I initiated all proceeding. I NEVER THOUGHT THAT ANY THING LIKE THIS WOULD EVER HAPPEN IN MY FAMILY WHERE I WOULD BE ACCUSED OF STEALING BY MY OWN NIECE, BUT WHEN MONEY IS INVOLVED PEOPLE BECOME DIFFERENT!

At any rate, I went to court and found that I had 11 felony counts against me NEEDLESS TO SAY I WAS FLOORED. However, after I was able to prove ( with receipts that showed where all the funds had gone (appox. $10,000.00 IN BURIAL COSTS) and that there was no criminal intent or malice in my actions, the Judge urg

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

secondchance2 in Riverside, California

32 months ago

, the Judge urged the DA to find a way to solve this without going to trail, and of course the balance of the funds were frozen in my acct and divided between the girls, (which was ALWAYS my intent after I finished burying my mother) because as he said "no jury would convict me for my actions" (his words), however, a crime was committed by the signing of the document (the check) all charges were dropped and I was left with 1 Misdemeanor count of forgery. I was sentenced to 90 days of community service for something that was never meant to be a crime, but could never bring myself to do, because I just couldn't except the fact that I had been convicted of this very heartfelt act, so I returned to court, after much thought and realized that I had plead to this act and had to pay for my actions, and just did the 45 days in the county jail, so that I could get on with my life and put this horrible situation behind me... (or so I thought)

I am a 49 year old woman and have never been in trouble like this in my life and I would like to know how do you get a second chance! The reason I ask is because I am an employable woman with a lot of years left to be in the work force and I am skilled beyond belief in my field, however, when I put on my application that I was convicted of a misdemeanor I am no longer considered a viable candidate for the positions I apply for.
I realize now that this is a weeding out process, UNFAIR.

I was under the impression that when you have paid your debt to the system, that's it! I am not a harden criminal , I did not murder anyone, I committed no embezzlement against any company, I BURIED MY MOTHER THE ONLY WAY I COULD AT THE TIME! I WANT TO WORK, I WANT TO WORK AND THERE ARE JOBS OUT THERE, BUT WHY USE ME WHEN THEY CAN USE A LESS QUALIFIED CANDIDATE WITH NO RECORD.

You know I am not even sure what if any thing you all could do to help me , but I am at the end of my rope. I was on GR but was cut off 10/07/2011 and that was only

PleaseHelp! in Irvine, California

29 months ago

So I am only 20 years old and I am a GOOD kid. I grew up in a good family and grew up in a good area. 2 years ago I got in a fight in college and the girl ended up getting hurt, so I ended up getting a felony since she sued me. Now it's IMPOSSIBLE for me to find a job. I seriously don't understand, I am smart, educated, and polite. My felony is in the process of being expunged since I am finishing up my probation, but is there anywhere I can get a decent paying job? 40 hours a week?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alyssa in Plainfield, Illinois

29 months ago

Don't give up. Just keep applying somebody will hire u. Are u in school? If I was u I would go to school and get an education. I too have a felony. It is a wire fraud felony, I am a good person and come from a great family, I met the wrong guy who used my name and I had to plead guilty. Anyways I am a CNA I work in a hospital and I m currently in school doing pre classes for nursing. My felony is federal so I can not get it expunged but the nursing department said it is based on a case by case. So I am going to continue and fight my way to the top.

29 months ago

Thank you Alyssa for your advice. Yeah, it's super hard to be so young and have that on your record. So unfortunate. I regret what I did everyday. I am overqualified for every job out there, but still can't find one because of background checks. Our law is so misunderstanding. They put us on probation to get us on the "right" track, but leave the felony on our record, so we can't get jobs. What are we supposed to do? I'm sure most of us have felonies for something stupid, not murder or anything, so I don't understand why we get punished even AFTER serving time.

29 months ago

Don't give up. I have had my felony since 2002 and have never had a problem with getting a job and maintaining employment. Do you have any medical experience? Administrative experience? How about trying to get a job as a scheduler or front office receptionist for a Dr's office? I have done lots of call center work, too! My felony is theft of a credit and a misdemeanor taking the identity of another (I had both my sister's ID - we had gone out the night before- and mine in the same id holder and I pulled hers out by mistake and "I stoke her identity" even though my sister even tried to tell them that wasn't the case!)

29 months ago

I'm sorry, that's unfortunate that you have a felony on your record for something as pointless as that. But thanks for your help! It seems like working in the medical field is the best option for me. I've tried a couple customer service call center jobs and for some reason they all did gnarly background checks and unfortunately didn't hire me. I don't look ANYTHING like a felon is the funny part so the employers are usually set on hiring me until they do a background check. Well thanks for everyone's help, it's good to know that I'm not the only one out there :(.

tb7294 in Naples, Florida

27 months ago

I would love to start praying for you all to find good jobs!

Sam in Columbus, Ohio

27 months ago

I was recently hired by a university medical employer (5 weeks ago. They gave me training, drug screen, and background check. Now, five weeks later they've completed my background check and they are questioning me concerning a 2 convictions from 1989 (assault) and 2001 (omvi). I paid my dues on both and am being questioned and they are requestin proof of the disposition statement from the one in 1989.These records were purged and the county court system had to go into an old system to get the information for me.I have already been allowed access to a patient data base and been working in it for 5 weeks. It seems this employer should have had this background check cleared before allowing me use the patient data base.And it seems if they did a background check that the this check would have provided the information they were looking for of a guilty conviction. I could be terminated due to this and don't know my legal rights. It seems this all should have been done before hiring me. Any advice would be helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

505vote in Albuquerque, New Mexico

27 months ago

Sam in Columbus, Ohio said: I was recently hired by a university medical employer (5 weeks ago. They gave me training, drug screen, and background check. Now, five weeks later they've completed my background check and they are questioning me concerning a 2 convictions from 1989 (assault) and 2001 (omvi). I paid my dues on both and am being questioned and they are requestin proof of the disposition statement from the one in 1989.These records were purged and the county court system had to go into an old system to get the information for me.I have already been allowed access to a patient data base and been working in it for 5 weeks. It seems this employer should have had this background check cleared before allowing me use the patient data base.And it seems if they did a background check that the this check would have provided the information they were looking for of a guilty conviction. I could be terminated due to this and don't know my legal rights. It seems this all should have been done before hiring me. Any advice would be helpful.
Sam in columbus...contact your state departmart of health Services division..ask for a waiver to work in the healthcare field..show you have fulfill your obugations.. Contact your Govenors office and ask for help. Depending on your states regulations they have the right to hire and continue collecting background info.. Make sure u answer truefully if appl. ask if u have feloney convictions. usaually people are termed for falsefiying that question on the application.

If your state is an at will state thay dont have to have a reason to let u go.
Right to work states are a little harder to just let u go without a reason.
You can also contact the Equal Employment oppotunity Commission for answers.

Goodluck... will pray for a good outcome..

Alyssa in Hickory Hills, Illinois

27 months ago

Hi Sam, I work at a hospital and also work with patients. All you have to do is call the health board and fill out a paper that allows you to work in the healthcare it is a waiver. You should get that done as soon as possible.

27 months ago

Hey all... this is a GREAT article from NELP.ORG about barriers to employment. I really, really enjoyed reading it.

nelp.3cdn.net/e9231d3aee1d058c9e_55im6wopc.pdf

Cuddles Frederick in Miami, Florida

26 months ago

Becky in Houston, Texas said: you don't ...you admit that you did something am move on...only if you are asked about it...most companies asked on the ap if you have a conviction and they usually asked details...I don't think this will disqualify you from all jobs

Could you please help me get a job i been out of work since 2007. And i been trying to find another one but its been real hard for me thank you.

Cuddles Frederick in Miami, Florida

26 months ago

Hey my name is Cuddles G. Frederick Could you please help me find a job. I been out of work since 2007 and have not been able to find another one so im asking for your help please.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

latricia

24 months ago

I agree. I work at kfc but recently they found out I w as a felon and they are doing everything. to fire me for no reason

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

24 months ago

Your screwed. I have no record and I can't get a job for a year now.

Try smaller companies who might not do criminal background checks.

I can't believe I give out all this free advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

24 months ago

Any chance anyone know what kind of sentence could be handed down for meth distributing?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dessert Wanderer in Phoenix, Arizona

22 months ago

DadMike in Baltimore, Maryland said: Don't know about Arizona laws, but that sounds like a misdemeanor, and you can get an attorney to see if that can be expunged!!

You can get records either SEALED or EXPUNGED. You do need an attourney. Of course you'll need the money to get one also. The system loves to kick us when we're down.

LuAnn Taylor in Phoenix, Arizona

22 months ago

Had a great job until the company folded in my area. Now it was brought to my attention that I have 2 class 6 felony's that never seemed to matter. Now lots of companies are doing background checks that didn't do them before. My felony's are not undesignated which means I can not get them reduced. Even though I've been clean and sober for 6 1/2 yrs it doesn't seem to matter to potential employers. They don't even give me a chance to explain.
I did submit a request to the courts to restore my rights and to set the convictions aside. Keep you fingers crossed!

Marty Martinez in Phoenix, Arizona

11 months ago

I have news for you, they don't want to hear about details, there is no difference between a joy ride where you got probation or if you raped or murdered someone and did 20 years. your life is boiled down to a line on a report if the word "Felony" is on it you have no chance.

veronica portillo in Phoenix, Arizona

4 months ago

I have currtley came unenmploeyd after three years, i have a undegsdated felony and i cant get a job know were. i have four kids to support, does anyone know were i can get help paying off my fines, to drop to a misdameaner, it 9000 dollers, four years ago I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY IT MATTERS ABOUT A FELONY IT NOT GOING TO AFFECT MY WORK SKILLS .THIS as got me really upset, and i want to fight for myself, and other people in the same place. does anybody know, who i need to call; or wright to petion the goverment. why half off the united states is unenployed because there syetem, they wonder why there all the homeless and people doing what they ned to do to make endes meet.I have been trying everyday all day.Went to good will who says they help that not true.we need to stand up for are rights.god bless and to all off you stay strong god is good i will never loose faith.if there anyone out there i will fight.IT IT TOOK A WOMAN ON THE NEWS GOING TO KILL HERSELF AND HER KIDS BECAUSE SHE LIVING OUT OFF HER VAN BECAUSE SHE COULD NOT FIND A JOB THIS IS NOT RIGHT THEE NO JUSTICE

charlene in Ocean City, New Jersey

2 months ago

We are a 22 year old Healthcare Company and as a Membership Specialist you can help people save money on their healthcare, legal issues and daily purchases by enrolling them in one of the memberships we offer. We are also looking for people that will take pride in helping others work for our company. If you have an upbeat personality and like to help people, you will have tremendous success with our company. if you are interested please contact me at iboplus.com/cboncal1972

Frustrated in Imperial, Missouri

11 days ago

I had a SIS and this is now completed and I was told by my lawyer that I do not have to put I was convicted on a job application. However I am afraid no one will hire me for work. This was my first time ever getting in trouble I n it was a horrible mistake I never did jail time will this show up. Since probation is complete it is not on case net anymore will it show up on background for employment? Need a job!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.