age discrimination still alive and well

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (20)

odie.dorothy@yahoo.com in Altamonte Springs, Florida

50 months ago

I have been on several interview,in person and phone interviews, last one the person stated that, I had a very impressive resume
and the interview went very well,just to be sent a email, stated that chose someone
else. When company human resource or the recruiters ask for your w2 forms and other school documents and the main question are
you over forty years old,is a red flag for
age discrimination,education documents will
show when you graduated,birth certificates.
you are being interviewed by someone youger
than you are and see someone younger than you get the job, with little or minium job experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bslove0529@hotmail.com in Sanford, North Carolina

49 months ago

Age discrimination is very much alive. Thank God I am working right now but two years ago I did not think I would find anything. My husband is currently looking and he is getting so depressed because he is 60. We don't have savings in longer due to the economy and it is hard to make ends meet. I am tired of struggling. I am sorry that you are expericing this problem Keep trying!! Send your resume to every job you fine even if you don't think you qualify. Someone will see something in you just like my employer saw in me. Good Luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jax007 in Grand Prairie, Texas

47 months ago

If your husband is handy and has a vehicle he can work as an independent contractor. Your local office depot carries contracts that he can have his clients sign. You would be surprised at how many businesses won't hire full-time employees but yet will hire independent contractors. You can be an IC doing just about anything from carpentry to computers to administrative.

bslove0529@hotmail.com in Sanford, North Carolina said: Age discrimination is very much alive. Thank God I am working right now but two years ago I did not think I would find anything. My husband is currently looking and he is getting so depressed because he is 60. We don't have savings in longer due to the economy and it is hard to make ends meet. I am tired of struggling. I am sorry that you are expericing this problem Keep trying!! Send your resume to every job you fine even if you don't think you qualify. Someone will see something in you just like my employer saw in me. Good Luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Miracle worker in Dallas, Texas

46 months ago

odie.dorothy@yahoo.com in Altamonte Springs, Florida said: I have been on several interview,in person and phone interviews, last one the person stated that, I had a very impressive resume
and the interview went very well,just to be sent a email, stated that chose someone
else. When company human resource or the recruiters ask for your w2 forms and other school documents and the main question are
than you are and see someone younger than you get the job, with little or minium job experience.

I have a friend that is working on a petition to help stiffen laws on age discrimination, so all employers will use a across the board fair hire policy in regard to age. There are some employers doing this and it is illegal and I was advised if this referendum was passed all employers would have to abide by EEOC regulations, from age 18 to 65, hiring a balanced percentage of all age groups, to make hiring practices more fair. This would also help keep many from going on Social Security at 62 and would help the Social Security fund. He was advising me many age groups would like to see this petition and would sign to be sent off to politicians to stop illegal age discrimination and would help the older generation that has more of uphill battle finding employment than other age groups when they get layed off from employer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No Reply - Report abuse

Miracle worker in Dallas, Texas

46 months ago

bslove0529@hotmail.com in Sanford, North Carolina said: Age discrimination is very much alive. Thank God I am working right now but two years ago I did not think I would find anything. My husband is currently looking and he is getting so depressed because he is 60. We don't have savings in longer due to the economy and it is hard to make ends meet. I am tired of struggling. I am sorry that you are expericing this problem Keep trying!! Send your resume to every job you fine even if you don't think you qualify. Someone will see something in you just like my employer saw in me. Good Luck!!

I have a friend that is working on a petition to help stiffen laws on age discrimination, so all employers will use a across the board fair hire policy in regard to age. There are some employers doing this and it is illegal and I was advised if this referendum was passed all employers would have to abide by EEOC regulations, from age 18 to 65, hiring a balanced percentage of all age groups, to make hiring practices more fair. This would also help keep many from going on Social Security at 62 and would help the Social Security fund. He was advising me many age groups would like to see this petition and would sign to be sent off to politicians to stop illegal age discrimination and would help the older generation that has more of uphill battle finding employment than other age groups when they get layed off from employer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

kj38103 in Frisco, Texas

42 months ago

This post is what I needed. I have applied to various jobs also and no luck. I have a truck and would like for some to tell me about how I could become an indepentant contractor using my truck to make money. Can someone help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

5 interviews and still unemployed in Dallas, Texas

42 months ago

odie.dorothy@yahoo.com in Altamonte Springs, Florida said: I have been on several interview,in person and phone interviews, last one the person stated that, I had a very impressive resume

I have went on several interviews as well, and still no luck. My interviews went well. I pass criminal, credit, drug, typing, data entry, tests and still no luck. What are these company's looking for

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 in Des Moines, Iowa

41 months ago

5 interviews and still unemployed in Dallas, Texas said: I have went on several interviews as well, and still no luck. My interviews went well. I pass criminal, credit, drug, typing, data entry, tests and still no luck. What are these company's looking for

I AM WANDERING THE SAME THING I HAVE BEEN TO A FEW INTERVIEW MYSELF AND EVEN APPLIED TO ABOUT A DOZEN JOBS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

rbPayne in Shelby, North Carolina

41 months ago

Yes legislation is needed over 40 and having trouble finding a job.
I have more education and experience than 10 years ago and have very little response to hundreds of applications. I no longer have my high school info on my resume because it dates me.I hope the petition goes well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

I need a job in Dallas, Texas

41 months ago

62 in Des Moines, Iowa said: I AM WANDERING THE SAME THING I HAVE BEEN TO A FEW INTERVIEW MYSELF AND EVEN APPLIED TO ABOUT A DOZEN JOBS

I think that's very unfair. Searching for employment is stressful, especially when you're confident that you can do the job and they choose someone else. I been going to interviews on top of interviews and still nothing but disappointment. :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bella Samuel in Anaheim, California

41 months ago

5 interviews and still unemployed in Dallas, Texas said: I have went on several interviews as well, and still no luck. My interviews went well. I pass criminal, credit, drug, typing, data entry, tests and still no luck. What are these company's looking for

A PINK SQUIRREL..............

A young good looking male (brains optional) a sexy female(no brains required, kinda stupid is okay) I have seen my share of these squirrels.

What ever happened to maturity, wisdom, experience, knowledge,team player and so on......????????????????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

DebraJRoberts@gmail.com in Santa Barbara, California

38 months ago

Believe me I have been discriminated on for age. I was walking down town and I saw a sign that said apply inside. I have a degree in Business Administration/Finance. The job was for selling cokes and pretzels. She ask me how old I was? She told me I was to old. I couldn't believe it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

maddogg53 in Dallas, Texas

37 months ago

Miracle worker in Dallas, Texas said: I have a friend that is working on a petition to help stiffen laws on age discrimination, so all employers will use a across the board fair hire policy in regard to age. There are some employers doing this and it is illegal and I was advised if this referendum was passed all employers would have to abide by EEOC regulations, from age 18 to 65, hiring a balanced percentage of all age groups, to make hiring practices more fair. This would also help keep many from going on Social Security at 62 and would help the Social Security fund. He was advising me many age groups would like to see this petition and would sign to be sent off to politicians to stop illegal age discrimination and would help the older generation that has more of uphill battle finding employment than other age groups when they get layed off from employer.

Where do I sign?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Emma Joy Samuels in Anaheim, California

37 months ago

A younger person with tight skin, firm everywhere else, cute with no wisdom or experience. What can I say I have seen and heard it all......and worked with young and cute saying "that is not in my job description" than what is? Move over young and cute....Let the mature workforce take over and do the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

odie.dorothy@yahoo.com in Sanford, Florida

36 months ago

These companies recruiter and one doing the interviews and hiring
are looking for someone the on age groups,not fair. Amazingly, the company are allow it, and some of the person/s doing the interviews or hiring decisions do not even have the experience for the jobs of hiring or know how the interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kimberley_bengel@yahoo.com in Puyallup, Washington

35 months ago

DebraJRoberts@gmail.com in Santa Barbara, California said: Believe me I have been discriminated on for age. I was walking down town and I saw a sign that said apply inside. I have a degree in Business Administration/Finance. The job was for selling cokes and pretzels. She ask me how old I was? She told me I was to old. I couldn't believe it.

Oh, dear; I am REALLY in trouble, then! I did not finish college. I was a homemaker for 15 years, have 15 years experience in office admin. and retail/sales. I have been applying for min. wage/food svc. positions for the last several weeks. I had an interview w/ a major grocery chain. I bombed; became flustered when the interviewer took on a hostile demeanor, questioning why I would work for min. wage when I'd been paid, well, MORE previously! P.S. I am 50, but in pretty decent shape. Not as good as the 20-something gal being interviewed immediately before me.

rita in Orlando, Florida

33 months ago

DebraJRoberts@gmail.com in Santa Barbara, California said: Believe me I have been discriminated on for age. I was walking down town and I saw a sign that said apply inside. I have a degree in Business Administration/Finance. The job was for selling cokes and pretzels. She ask me how old I was? She told me I was to old. I couldn't believe it.

Asking your age is against the law---that is how much she knew--you don't have to answer that question---deflect it with a question of your own---

Chattykidd in Richmond, Virginia

31 months ago

"The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA) protects certain applicants and employees 40 years of age and older from discrimination on the basis of age in hiring, promotion, discharge, compensation, or terms, conditions or privileges of employment. The ADEA is enforced by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)." [Department of Labor web site]

While this law protects us against age discrimination, it still goes on but in hidden ways. Beware of interviewers who offer many praises but add lots of "Buts". While businesses know about age discrimination this does not prevent them from disguising their actions or avoid telling the interviewee the truth about why they did not get the job. But we know, don't we; we know that we fit the job to a tee like a glove, in fact we can't imagine why anyone else should get the job over us, but they do.

Discrimination of any type still goes on! Proving it is so so difficult to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

roy in Phoenix, Arizona

24 months ago

I feel for you. There is plenty of discrimation for a 52 year old that wants to work in the restaurant business. What a reactionary country the USA IS !

roy in Phoenix, Arizona

24 months ago

There is plenty of discrimination for a 52 year old who wants to work in the restaurant business despite the fact he has experience and is well qualified for the position... The USA is a reactionary country that does not enforce it's own anti-discrimination laws based on age.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.