Applying for a job for which you are "overqualified"

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

CSR in Connecticut

38 months ago

I have over fifteen years of extensive telephone customer service experience, having worked in manufacturing and distribution and also in the insurance industry.

Because I want and need a job as soon as possible, I am applying for part-time cashier or customer service positions at retail establishments. Because these are usually entry level, minimum wage jobs, I do not present my resume when applying. When given an application to complete, I leave off my salary history.

If I do list my salary history, when applying for a minimum wage job, I am asked "with all of your experience, why would you want this job?"

I can just imagine that the interviewer must think that I would not stay at the position long term. How can I convince the interviewer that I'm the right person for the job even though I'm overqualified?

I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments from those who are either in this same situation or have been in the past.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jcdunbar

37 months ago

CSR in Connecticut said: I have over fifteen years of extensive telephone customer service experience, having worked in manufacturing and distribution and also in the insurance industry.

Because I want and need a job as soon as possible, I am applying for part-time cashier or customer service positions at retail establishments. Because these are usually entry level, minimum wage jobs, I do not present my resume when applying. When given an application to complete, I leave off my salary history.

If I do list my salary history, when applying for a minimum wage job, I am asked "with all of your experience, why would you want this job?"

I can just imagine that the interviewer must think that I would not stay at the position long term. How can I convince the interviewer that I'm the right person for the job even though I'm overqualified?

I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments from those who are either in this same situation or have been in the past.

I am feeling you. I am in the same boat you are in. I am also a Criminal Justice student and I am always asked "what are your career goals once you graduate. I have been looking for a job for six months and I know I have the qualifications but I never receive that WELCOME call. Keep your head up and keep the faith, that job is just around the corner. It is slow walking but it is coming

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jcdunbar

37 months ago

am feeling you. I am in the same boat you are in. I am also a Criminal Justice student and I am always asked "what are your career goals once you graduate. I have been looking for a job for six months and I know I have the qualifications but I never receive that WELCOME call. Keep your head up and keep the faith, that job is just around the corner. It is slow walking but it is coming

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

monica in El Paso, Texas

37 months ago

its tough....you apply for jobs you qualify for ....and out of need jobs we're overqualified for ....its just very very hard these days....i would look into different jobs...other than customer service and look into maybe getting another degree....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

darksidzz in Bolingbrook, Illinois

34 months ago

Honestly guys what I am finding is the following cases:

1. Jobs positions are posted only to make HR look as if they're doing actual work, that way they don't get fired.

2. Job postings online are part time

3. They don't REALLY care about what you've done, only if they like and get along with you like a drinking buddy / you are sexy and not afraid to use it.

Other than this I see no real interest in hiring from any of these supposed companies, it's abunch of nonsense

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

richard hultman in Turlock, California

24 months ago

resum availabe on reqest

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Suz in La Mesa, California

20 months ago

Hi Richard-

I too have too much experience for the positions I am responding to. It is killing me but I feel that something's gotta give soon. I pray that I am not getting called back for these is because they are not the "one" that is perfect for me. Also apply for Sales Administrator/Coordinator positions as they seem to pay more and are pretty abundant around here in San Diego. Just know you are not alone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.