Over 50 needs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

melinda Taylor in Baltimore, Maryland

85 months ago

I find that it has been harder to get a good job, being over 50 should be aplus, but its seems to hold me back from getting the jobs I want. Why?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Experienced & Mature employees in Frisco, Texas

85 months ago

Melinda, I've literally had 5 women from 47 - 65ish tell me the exact same thing recently. None of them knew each other and all were currently in professional fields.

Also, I've had men in hiring positions tell me that they thought it started much younger for females than for men.

I'm seeking people who can suggest new fields and/or industries to re-career myself into for the next 20+ years of work. Unless I will more than a million I'll be working on going. Besides, I get bored with typical day to day home task otherwise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

What jobs for people 45+, 55+ 65+ ? in Frisco, Texas

85 months ago

What jobs/careers can I re-career into at a professional level?

What jobs / careers can I re-career into in which I could still do that job and get another job if needed when I'm 65+ ?

Ideas?

I already have a Bachelor of Business, years of upper level sales and sales management experience. I have tons of general knowledge in several areas & industries. Obviously I have transferrable skills from my most recent work too.

What is an industry or job title with solid high pay in which a female can get hired and continue working with success as a mature experienced worker?

Any Grants?
What programs?

What will lead to an immediate job / career and then be added on to with add'l education while working in the job ?

What about HR, Human Resources? Is it likely for a mature worker to start in that industry at least at a moderate pay with minimal formal education in the specific HR subject but lots of 'in practice' experience?
Will I still find age descrimination in the HR field?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Di in Wilmington, Ohio

84 months ago

First time in 3 years that I am seeking employment after remarrying. I have decided after joining Job.Com and submitting several resumes to the active postions posted and the only response is a email acknowledgement stating the employer has received my resume. But, to no avail. I have finally decided it has to be a reflection of my age (47). It was hard at first to acccept, but now two weeks later, I've decided to approach it as I now only have time and the drive to submit to a company thats worthy of ME!!!!!KEEP YOUR CHINS UP.......ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING.......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

About 50 - jobs in Frisco, Texas

84 months ago

Yes, it could be age as many female professional women have told me the same thing regarding their own experience. I too have the same issue.

You will also find that the simple fact that you haven't worked in 3 yrs is a problem. You'll need to come up with a Selling Point on why you've not been working other than you remarried. Regardless of age, this will be an issue. Regardless of industry this will be an issue. Be prepared with an upbeat answer that makes you appear 'active' in business like activities AND that would suggest that you won't quit later on to go back to the house vs. office world any time soon.

Also, pretty much all of the jobs you apply to online will auto-send a generic reply. Many jobs will take a full month or even 2 months or more to call much less hire someone. Two weeks of searching & applying is absolutely nothing in the Job search world. Many companies collect resume's in advance of expected hire date.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

By the way, some jobs receive 3000 - 5000 applicants per job... per HR people telling me so.

In the non-email resume' days paper resume's were mailed and thus fewer people applied.

It's so easy to apply to numberous jobs in a short moment now that unless you have a unique skill or talent that is very, very hard to find then there will be a zillion resume's received. The lower the level of job - The more people are qualified..... and the more overqualified people will also apply.

Anne in Denver, Colorado

84 months ago

Here's a great article I found:

50-plus and Looking for Work?
From Sharon O'Brien,
Your Guide to Senior Living.
If you are 50-plus and looking for work, Workforce50 (formerly Senior Job Bank) is looking for you.
50-plus Workforce is Growing
Adults 50-plus represent one of the fastest growing labor groups in the United States, in part because many of today's older workers are delaying retirement. People seek senior jobs to supplement inadequate retirement income, while others continue to work for personal satisfaction. Often, seniors retire from one occupation only to begin another.

The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports:

Only 13 percent of American workers were 55 and older in 2000.

By 2006, that figure will increase to 15 percent, and by 2015 one in five (20 percent) of all U.S. workers will be 55 or older.

At the same time, the U.S. is expected to experience a significant drop in the percentage of younger workers age 25 to 44, making it increasingly important for employers to find ways to recruit and retain older workers.
The U.S. Administration on Aging reports that retirement patterns are changing among America's 78 million baby boomers, and this trend is expected to result in an unprecedented number of 50-plus workers participating in the workforce of the 21st century, and an increasing need for the availability of senior jobs.

According to a 2002 AARP survey of employed workers aged 45 to 74:

The majority (69 percent) of those interviewed plan to continue working beyond traditional retirement age.

More than a third (34 percent) of the total sample said they would work part-time for interest or enjoyment.

19 percent said they would work at part-time jobs for necessary income.

10 percent plan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anne in Denver, Colorado

84 months ago

Tell them you had to take care of an aging parent and leave it at that. Don't offer anything more -- it's truly none of their business. Hopefully it will satisfy them.

84 months ago

Anne in Denver, Colorado said: Here's a great article I found:

50-plus and Looking for Work?
From Sharon O'Brien,
Your Guide to Senior Living.
If you are 50-plus and looking for work, Workforce50 (formerly Senior Job Bank) is looking for you.
50-plus Workforce is Growing
Adults 50-plus represent one of the fastest growing labor groups in the United States, in part because many of today's older workers are delaying retirement. People seek senior jobs to supplement inadequate retirement income, while others continue to work for personal satisfaction. Often, seniors retire from one occupation only to begin another.

The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports:

Only 13 percent of American workers were 55 and older in 2000.

By 2006, that figure will increase to 15 percent, and by 2015 one in five (20 percent) of all U.S. workers will be 55 or older.

At the same time, the U.S. is expected to experience a significant drop in the percentage of younger workers age 25 to 44, making it increasingly important for employers to find ways to recruit and retain older workers.
The U.S. Administration on Aging reports that retirement patterns are changing among America's 78 million baby boomers, and this trend is expected to result in an unprecedented number of 50-plus workers participating in the workforce of the 21st century, and an increasing need for the availability of senior jobs.

According to a 2002 AARP survey of employed workers aged 45 to 74:

The majority (69 percent) of those interviewed plan to continue working beyond traditional retirement age.

More than a third (34 percent) of the total sample said they would work part-time for interest or enjoyment.

19 percent said they would work at part-time jobs for necessary income.

10 percent plan

Thank you for that info. Very interesting statistics.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lorraine in Huntington Beach, California

84 months ago

What jobs for people 45+, 55+ 65+ ? in Frisco, Texas said: What jobs/careers can I re-career into at a professional level?

What jobs / careers can I re-career into in which I could still do that job and get another job if needed when I'm 65+ ?

Ideas?

I already have a Bachelor of Business, years of upper level sales and sales management experience. I have tons of general knowledge in several areas & industries. Obviously I have transferrable skills from my most recent work too.

What is an industry or job title with solid high pay in which a female can get hired and continue working with success as a mature experienced worker?

Any Grants?
What programs?

What will lead to an immediate job / career and then be added on to with add'l education while working in the job ?

What about HR, Human Resources? Is it likely for a mature worker to start in that industry at least at a moderate pay with minimal formal education in the specific HR subject but lots of 'in practice' experience?
Will I still find age descrimination in the HR field?

It really doesn't mattter how many degress you have...employers (according to the law) are not supposed to discriminate anyone regardless of AGE, race or color. But they still do that, because of compensation insurance payments, in the event you should get hurt on the job. Plus, young people will work for a lesser amount of pay, as they are still living at home or if married, have a second income from a spouse.
Older people on the other hand, have more experience in life as well as business , but are not able to apply these skills because someone decided that all of the sudden we go brain dead after 50 years. But we still are active in our communities and government decisions to vote and pay taxes like all others.

Marianne in Littleton, Colorado

84 months ago

Ten Keys to a Successful Job Search
1. Take stock - (Know Yourself)

. Taking a career and personality assessment is a huge first step towards optimizing your personal career path. TheMyers-Briggs Type Indicator assessment is the most widely used personality instrument.

2. Networking - (Know others)

talking to as many people as possible and letting them know you are looking for a job.

3. Accomplishment oriented resume - (Know how to write it well)

The purpose of a resume is not to get you a job, but to land an interview.

Two Common Yet Easily-Avoidable Resume Mistakes
1. Always use a professional email address on your resume.

2. If your resume includes an objective statement, it should be geared to both your personal goals as well as the goals of the company.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.