I can't seem to get a job to say my life!!!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (31)

Morrissa718 in Rome, Georgia

34 months ago

I have been putting In at least 10 applications a day for the last month. I have six kids and they really need to be taken care of i can't sem to find what I'm doing wrong. I got laid off my last job. Had been there five yrs. I am.a very hard worker and very reliable person. Please somebody help me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

darksidzz in Bolingbrook, Illinois

34 months ago

I can't seem to find one either and I'm trying, this is BS. I don't really understand what I'm supposed to do, I had an interview at Fry's and guess what? The guy told me they only work on commission and that within 90 days you need to be on the sales floor selling. Sounds ok right? But then why would I sell their BS I can build my own PC's and sell them on ebay without owing them money if I don't meet their quotas! LOL Stupid more-on at Fry's thought he could talk me into it....... umm heard of the economic crisis BS? Christ.... I'm going to be honest, every god damn person I talk to about a job it's either part time or something ridiculous like Fry's offers. I even told this guy I'm no a salesman! I know what he really wanted.... someone to owe money to them when they don't make sales, I'm not stupid dirt bag.

I'm mad lol grr anyways anyone have real advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Latasha Robinson in Saint Joseph, Michigan

17 months ago

I been doing alot of application also...but all I can say is never give up!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

sammy in Antioch, California

16 months ago

I is really sad! no jobs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

toolrunner in Los Angeles, California

15 months ago

The last couple of years have been really hard. I know what its like not being able to at least get a call back or interview especially for jobs that you are easily qualified for. Seems like the employers know they have the upper hand during these hard economic times and are taking advantage of it. Not like the old days when they had no choice but to take the first few that applied. I don't have any answers either except that you cannot give up looking otherwise you'll be unemployed for so long that no one will even look at your resume with a long work history gap. The high cost of living and the low pay available jobs out there make it difficult even if you do find a job and looking for a second job is almost impossible these days. Best of luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Debbie in Dayton, Ohio

12 months ago

I have been searching for a job for almost 2 years now. I truly believe the words "over qualified" need to be removed from the English and all other languages. In my eyes, there is no such thing. It is just the employers way of not wanting to allow you to work. I feel if the employer wants a young whipper snapper with everything hanging out verses a well seasoned employee that would be there every day and perform to their fullest, then let them have the young ones. I have changed my resume 3 times and left off the salary amounts that I have received in the past with no luck still. I cant give up. I refuse to loose everything we have worked for all of our lives.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

12 months ago

Debbie in Dayton, Ohio said: I feel if the employer wants a young whipper snapper with everything hanging out verses a well seasoned employee that would be there every day and perform to their fullest, then let them have the young ones.

What's wrong with "hanging out" and bouncing around? :)

If you went to a doctor would you want over qualified or 1-3 years experience?

If you called someone to take a look at your furnace would you want overqualified or someone who just graduated from a vocational school?

If you needed an Army would you want our US marine corps or the Turkish Army?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lost in MN

12 months ago

I think a lot of the problem is employers that have openings just being too dang picky! I've applied for jobs that I was more than qualified for, even if they aren't exactly what I do now, they were still jobs I could do, and didn't even get a call let alone an email to say "sorry, we went with someone else." And the ones that want you to have "experience in that field." Well, just how am I going to get said experience when no one in that field will give me a chance to get said experience. This one is the one that really irks me. Some jobs I understand you need a degree for or training for that filed, like doctors and nurses, but other jobs you just need to get into that field and no one will give you a chance.

I can't wait to see what happens when down the road the young kids just starting out come in looking like slobs, low cut shirts and too short skirts on the girls and pants around their knees on the guys. Just what are employers going to do when those are the only people applying? Yes I may be over exagerating a bit there, but I think you get the point. ;-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

catfish503 in portland, Oregon

12 months ago

Debbie in Dayton, Ohio said: I have been searching for a job for almost 2 years now. I truly believe the words "over qualified" need to be removed from the English and all other languages. In my eyes, there is no such thing. It is just the employers way of not wanting to allow you to work. I feel if the employer wants a young whipper snapper with everything hanging out verses a well seasoned employee that would be there every day and perform to their fullest, then let them have the young ones. I have changed my resume 3 times and left off the salary amounts that I have received in the past with no luck still. I cant give up. I refuse to loose everything we have worked for all of our lives.

I know what you're talking about, two years with nothing...some nibbles but no bites! I refuse to give up! I try to stay positive and do not want to believe that the young ones can offer more or are better! I'm just as valuable as the next person...possible more valuable! ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

12 months ago

catfish503 in portland, Oregon said: I know what you're talking about, two years with nothing...some nibbles but no bites! I refuse to give up! I try to stay positive and do not want to believe that the young ones can offer more or are better! I'm just as valuable as the next person...possible more valuable! ;)

2 years is alot. It's about 2 yrs for me also. Where do you draw your strength and positive outlook from after all this time? Your kids, is it in your genes, etc????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

catfish503 in portland, Oregon

12 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: 2 years is alot. It's about 2 yrs for me also. Where do you draw your strength and positive outlook from after all this time? Your kids, is it in your genes, etc????

Haha...the genes are a definite plus! I'm the "middle child"...handle disappointments better, good mediator..heehee! I have a good sense of humor and I smile a lot...at least that's what I've been told by others! ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

KarenU in Orange City, Florida

9 months ago

Have you given any thought to picking up a direct sales/party plan small business to supplement your income until you find what you're looking for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Donna in Amarillo, Texas

8 months ago

I can't buy a job here I have an Insurance license people won't buy because they want Obamacare for free.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Toolrunner in Los Angeles, California

8 months ago

Morrissa718 in Rome, Georgia said: I have been putting In at least 10 applications a day for the last month. I have six kids and they really need to be taken care of i can't sem to find what I'm doing wrong. I got laid off my last job. Had been there five yrs. I am.a very hard worker and very reliable person. Please somebody help me.

I know what you're going through. I went through that for 3 months. Over 100 job applications a month and finally got a call from Lowe's. I had no choice but to take it even the pay was low and part-time work. Once I got in there they saw how I worked and kept me working 39 hour weeks which is really good for a part timer being they only guarantee 10 hours. I've been there since January and was promoted to full time with benefits and a small raise. I came from a construction type background which helped me excel in the departments I work(ed) in but I treat every customer like I want to be treated and always stay busy while a lot of the workers, especially the young one's do very little, talk with each other or are on their phones. If nothing else you might have to try places like Lowe's or Home Depot and see if you can move up the ladder, at least until you can find something better. I'm giving Lowe's a total of 2 years from the day I started to either move into management or have what I consider a livable wage otherwise I will have to move on to something else. But, for now I at least have a job and benefits so I'm giving them a chance at proving their loyalty towards someone who is hard working and dedicated.

Most places now days feel that since the job market has very few pickings that they can just continue with seriously low wages compared to the work expected and can be very picky about whom they hire. Although I see a lot of people who are not worth the low wages they are getting now there are a handful that are so under paid it seems criminal. Good luck in your search and I hope you find something soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

findjob in North Carolina

8 months ago

I have filled out applications and no call backs or interviews. I am a recent grad. I have experience in my field. I don't understand it however I keep applying. One day someone will give me a chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

I143Rick in Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

7 months ago

I feel for each and everyone one of you. Right now I m going thru the same thing. My job of 10 years was down sizing and I went out the door. I looked for a job the whole year I was on unemployment. Now I have exhausted everything they could help with. I cant count how applications I put in for when I was unemployed the first time and I m busting my butt off again to find another job. We can hardly eat, cant pay any of the bills. Got rid of all the extras we had. I m down to the bare bone. Bill collectors don't understand you have no money they don't care. We re just a number to them. I wish someone could help each and every one of us. This is just not fair. IF they wouldn't give half our jobs to other countries we just might have a job. And all the illegals here I m sorry you re taking jobs from us and you re not even a US citizen which we are ALL proud to be

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana

7 months ago

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York said: What's wrong with "hanging out" and bouncing around? :)

If you went to a doctor would you want over qualified or 1-3 years experience?

If you called someone to take a look at your furnace would you want overqualified or someone who just graduated from a vocational school?

If you needed an Army would you want our US marine corps or the Turkish Army?

Actually, many bean counter employers and managers don't care about quality, they want to save money.
What Debbie said is true. They want cheap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

towmahs in Salt Lake City, Utah

7 months ago

darksidzz in Bolingbrook, Illinois said: I can't seem to find one either and I'm trying, this is BS. I don't really understand what I'm supposed to do, I had an interview at Fry's and guess what? The guy told me they only work on commission and that within 90 days you need to be on the sales floor selling. Sounds ok right? But then why would I sell their BS I can build my own PC's and sell them on ebay without owing them money if I don't meet their quotas! LOL Stupid more-on at Fry's thought he could talk me into it....... umm heard of the economic crisis BS? Christ.... I'm going to be honest, every god damn person I talk to about a job it's either part time or something ridiculous like Fry's offers. I even told this guy I'm no a salesman! I know what he really wanted.... someone to owe money to them when they don't make sales, I'm not stupid dirt bag.

I'm mad lol grr anyways anyone have real advice?

You answered your own question. If you can build PCs and sell them on e-bay, why aren't you doing so? Start locally, and you will build a valuable network of people who need and want your services, and if you can successfully meet that demand, you will have the added benefit of thumbing your nose at Fry's!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

towmahs in Salt Lake City, Utah

7 months ago

You answered your own question. If you can build PCs and sell them on e-bay, why aren't you doing so? Start locally, and you will build a valuable network of people who need and want your services, and if you can successfully meet that demand, you will have the added benefit of thumbing your nose at Fry's!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MVPMIKE81 in Los Angeles, California

6 months ago

It's really frustrating and hurtful that I'm putting in a lot of effort with filling out job applications, going on interviews, not get callbacks or follow-ups. I hate being broke and I feel like giving up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

susan.harris30@gmail.com in Boise, Idaho

6 months ago

Morrissa718 in Rome, Georgia said: I have been putting In at least 10 applications a day for the last month. I have six kids and they really need to be taken care of i can't sem to find what I'm doing wrong. I got laid off my last job. Had been there five yrs. I am.a very hard worker and very reliable person. Please somebody help me.

I have a suggestion or two. I am a recruiter and I believe if you were able to put together a great resume, then apply at all the Temporary Help (employment)agencies in your city. They get part time and full time positions daily and will send you out on any of them, that you wish to apply for. Sometimes the pay is less, but it is a way to get your foot in the door. They can help you find a full time permanent job as well. Also when interviewing do not mention your children, many people would then think you would be taking too much time off or might not have a babysitter..the nice thing about a Temporary Help Service is that they do not care about that, if you cannot work that day they do not hold it against you. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

susan.harris30@gmail.com in Boise, Idaho

6 months ago

findjob in North Carolina said: I have filled out applications and no call backs or interviews. I am a recent grad. I have experience in my field. I don't understand it however I keep applying. One day someone will give me a chance.

Recent Grad: Do not get discouraged. You have the right attitude! Apply at all the temporary help services around your city or close to home. This way you will get experience if you do not have enough. I am a recruiter and look for outside Sales Reps constantly. Indeed Services will take your resume as well. Make sure you apply to the online sites. Many job openings never hit the newspaper as newspapers are expensive to advertise in. Many clients put in job openings online because more candidates will see the openings faster. Good Luck in your search. Congrats on Graduating that is a wonderful life changing event.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

susan.harris30@gmail.com in Boise, Idaho

6 months ago

MVPMIKE81 in Los Angeles, California said: It's really frustrating and hurtful that I'm putting in a lot of effort with filling out job applications, going on interviews, not get callbacks or follow-ups. I hate being broke and I feel like giving up.

Los Angeles: Looking for work is one of the Most depressing occupations on earth! Go to all the Temporary Job agencies in your vast city, go only as far as you want to drive, they will send you everywhere. And most of the time they do not care how much experience you have. Look Sharp, clean and ready for a job. I am a recruiter I look for outside sales reps all over America and I can truthfully say that if I needed a little extra or lot of $$ I would head over with a great resume to a Temporary Employment Source and apply. Also remember to email your resume in to Indeed.com and others. Clients that have openings get hundreds upon hundreds of applications. Make sure your resume is the best. Make it simple, clear and stand out. Put it is a plastic folder that is clear (with a colored) clasp on the side to hold it together, costs about $1.00, so when hundreds of resumes are laying on hiring agents desk, yours will shine through all the rest and get you an interview. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

susan.harris30@gmail.com in Boise, Idaho

6 months ago

darksidzz in Bolingbrook, Illinois said: I can't seem to find one either and I'm trying, this is BS. I don't really understand what I'm supposed to do, I had an interview at Fry's and guess what? The guy told me they only work on commission and that within 90 days you need to be on the sales floor selling. Sounds ok right? But then why would I sell their BS I can build my own PC's and sell them on ebay without owing them money if I don't meet their quotas! LOL Stupid more-on at Fry's thought he could talk me into it....... umm heard of the economic crisis BS? Christ.... I'm going to be honest, every god damn person I talk to about a job it's either part time or something ridiculous like Fry's offers. I even told this guy I'm no a salesman! I know what he really wanted.... someone to owe money to them when they don't make sales, I'm not stupid dirt bag.

I'm mad lol grr anyways anyone have real advice?

Do you have a great resume? Are you applying online as well as in the newspapers? Do you look sharp when you get an interview? Clean and pressed clothes, cut hair and beard, etc. No cursing on an interview that is Tabo!Do not talk negative regarding last employer, that is Tabo! That will end the interview.
Have you ever gone to a Temporary Help Service to find a job? They get full time and part time while you are looking for a "real" job you want. As a recruiter that looks for outside sales reps, I look at how many jobs they have had in a 5 year time frame..if they have had more than 2 I pass them up. If you have a good reason for changing jobs I will take that into consideration, but I am a recruiter and hiring agents will not hire people who move around from job to job. Hiring a person is very expensive so if you like to jump around from job to job, then you will have a difficult time finding work and a temporary help service is the perfect job for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

susan.harris30@gmail.com in Boise, Idaho

6 months ago

Donna in Amarillo, Texas said: I can't buy a job here I have an Insurance license people won't buy because they want Obamacare for free.

Farmers Insurance is always looking for people to sell their insurance. I am a recruiter, I find outside sales reps jobs in the US. When looking for any job, it takes alot of determination and positive thinking. Do not get discouraged. If you have emailed your resume to all the online companies like indeed.com and others and have watched the newspaper, etc. and have gone to all the temporary help employment services in your city, then this is another suggestion. You have experience as an insurance agent. Get on the telephone and sell yourself and your experience to other insurance companies.Do not always speak to the person who answers the telephone, try to talk with the Agent. Always start at the top! Many times they will not advertise for help but need it. Call every single company in your telephone book and keep calling and talking to people..sooner or later you will find a good job. Make sure you have a GREAT resume in hand when applying. Look Sharp from head to toe..this will also help. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

susan.harris30@gmail.com in Boise, Idaho

6 months ago

I143Rick in Camp Hill, Pennsylvania said: I feel for each and everyone one of you. Right now I m going thru the same thing. My job of 10 years was down sizing and I went out the door. I looked for a job the whole year I was on unemployment. Now I have exhausted everything they could help with. I cant count how applications I put in for when I was unemployed the first time and I m busting my butt off again to find another job. We can hardly eat, cant pay any of the bills. Got rid of all the extras we had. I m down to the bare bone. Bill collectors don't understand you have no money they don't care. We re just a number to them. I wish someone could help each and every one of us. This is just not fair. IF they wouldn't give half our jobs to other countries we just might have a job. And all the illegals here I m sorry you re taking jobs from us and you re not even a US citizen which we are ALL proud to be

Have you tried a Temporary Help Service?
Really sad when this happens to people, I feel your pain. I am in Idaho and we have jobs paying $7.25 to $9.00 an hour..housing to purchase is less but so are the wages. Electricity is high along with all the other things it takes to survive in the world now.
As a recruiter I can't stress this too much, it doesn't matter what your age is or anything else..go to every Temporary Employment service you can..they have jobs, they find jobs, sometimes they can find you a full time permanent job not just for a week or less. Yes it is a pain waiting and calling every day, but worth it if you find something. You can get a cell phone at Wally World with no contract if you need a phone. Have you been to the county agencies..some have a food program that you do not have to register with the local County to get food..they provide food boxes and there is a lot of food for a family. All you have to provide is a picture id. Good Luck to you and your family.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

susan.harris30@gmail.com in Boise, Idaho

6 months ago

Debbie in Dayton, Ohio said: I have been searching for a job for almost 2 years now. I truly believe the words "over qualified" need to be removed from the English and all other languages. In my eyes, there is no such thing. It is just the employers way of not wanting to allow you to work. I feel if the employer wants a young whipper snapper with everything hanging out verses a well seasoned employee that would be there every day and perform to their fullest, then let them have the young ones. I have changed my resume 3 times and left off the salary amounts that I have received in the past with no luck still. I cant give up. I refuse to loose everything we have worked for all of our lives.

Debbie: I do not know your age but I know how tough it is finding a job when you are over 45. There are some states that do look at ages..it is against the law but proving it is impossible. I ran into this in Nevada when I lived there..when you get to a certain age you need to change your occupation if you can..think of it as a new adventure, yes you may not get the great salary and all the extra's if you had them, but a job is the most important part. I would recommend always changing your resume for each and every job you apply at. There is nothing at all wrong with that. I am a recruiter and I never put salaries on a resume. When you interview that is the time to talk about money and not before. If they ask how much do you need ask them what is the going rate for the position you are talking about. You may have to move from the area you live in, many people do this. Email your resume out as well..just know that employers receive hundreds of applications or requests for jobs..send a great resume..short and sweet..one page clear and concise as to what you have done and a great cover letter as well. Good Luck in your search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

letiaspeaks in Garden City, Michigan

6 months ago

I know how hard it is to find a job but have you thought about owning a home business. It is really inexpensive and you receive benefits as well.

QUOTE who="darksidzz in Bolingbrook, Illinois"]I can't seem to find one either and I'm trying, this is BS. I don't really understand what I'm supposed to do, I had an interview at Fry's and guess what? The guy told me they only work on commission and that within 90 days you need to be on the sales floor selling. Sounds ok right? But then why would I sell their BS I can build my own PC's and sell them on ebay without owing them money if I don't meet their quotas! LOL Stupid more-on at Fry's thought he could talk me into it....... umm heard of the economic crisis BS? Christ.... I'm going to be honest, every god damn person I talk to about a job it's either part time or something ridiculous like Fry's offers. I even told this guy I'm no a salesman! I know what he really wanted.... someone to owe money to them when they don't make sales, I'm not stupid dirt bag.

I'm mad lol grr anyways anyone have real advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

letiaspeaks in Garden City, Michigan

6 months ago

I know how hard it is to find a job but have you thought about owning a home business. It is really inexpensive and you receive benefits as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bella in Summerville, South Carolina

5 months ago

The tax benefits alone is an awesome reason to start a home based business, I can help you out and let you know a home based business you can start for $25, if your interested.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

tams2309@gmail.com in Springfield, Tennessee

5 months ago

I recently started a home-based business and love it. I love that i can create my own schedule and work on my own time. With any business there is an investment some are small some are large it just depends what business you are going into. Just keep in mind that before you invest any amount, you need to research. In the end, for me anyways, it was all about taking a chance and hoping for the best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.