jobs for seniors

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

carolwolf in Largo, Florida

30 months ago

why it is so difficult for people over 60 to get a job - all I want is a part time job to supplement my social security (which of course you can not live on alone) - this is the worst job market I have seen - what happened to the good old days when you answered an ad - called and got the interview - and if you were good- got the first job you applied for - this going online and applying in cyber space - you never even know if someone is getting your application - or it is being read by an alien - who probably has your job (haha) oh well - someone please reply???!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Skyara in Syracuse, Utah

30 months ago

You've said it yourself. It's a very difficult job market right now. There aren't a lot of jobs right now, and so when a job posting goes up, they get hundreds of applications, and usually pick the ones that stand out the most. I would definitely suggest going over your resume, make sure your making yourself stand out, and use buzz words.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rita in Orlando, Florida

30 months ago

I think also it is age discrimination although you will never be told that is the reason for them not hiring you. It is hard right now for everyone and employers will pick the best of the best and pay them the least because it is easier to fill a job now then ever.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sukyvic62@hotmail.com in San Diego, California

26 months ago

I do feel discriminated because of age, I have 40 years experience in Customer Service, I was a Fiscal Supervisor and
I spent 30 years in the banking industry. I feel the more experience I have the less they want to hire me, it is much easier to hire a teen and pay them less that someone that is dependable, reliable and know their jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Girish in Bangalore, India

23 months ago

I feel the companies are going slow in hiring & also sending back people with experience as they find it difficult to manage the experience speak.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

proflady@ec.rr.com in Wilmington, North Carolina

21 days ago

you're right on the button re: hiring seniors. this is a "good ole boys club" here in Wilmington, nc hiring the least paid most young people because of least paid least experienced, and above all least qualified in services as to the most experienced trust worthy & dependable seniors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

joyce.patterson100@gmail.com in Clearwater, Florida

8 days ago

carolwolf in Largo, Florida said: why it is so difficult for people over 60 to get a job - all I want is a part time job to supplement my social security (which of course you can not live on alone) - this is the worst job market I have seen - what happened to the good old days when you answered an ad - called and got the interview - and if you were good- got the first job you applied for - this going online and applying in cyber space - you never even know if someone is getting your application - or it is being read by an alien - who probably has your job (haha) oh well - someone please reply???!!!I am a graduate student with a newly earned Bachelor's degree in Psychology and for the life of me, no one has been willing to hire me, could it be because I am 66 years of age? I have not quit working, and live on Social security widow's benefits. I am still pursuing my master degree in Behavior Health and in 8 months, I will graduate again. Where can I find a job now????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.