Looking for Job

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

CJ Lawson in Kingsport, Tennessee

81 months ago

I am 52 years old and have worked in insurance for 20 years and also prepared federal income tax for 20 years so I have the customer service experience needed for any job out there. I would really like to go to work full time but not in insurance or taxes. I need a change. I applied for one job in customer service and had to take a test. Well that was all it took, I didnt even know what the questions were asking so needless to say I didnt have the correct answers. Is there anyone out there that can help with this matter?

CJ

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dal77 in Midland, Georgia

81 months ago

CJ,
I wish I had the answer for you...it is so tough to find anything in my area, no matter what your age or experience. I too was in insurance/financial services for some years, and although I tailored my resume to my actual skills, not insurance related, it seems that any company reviewing my resume would focus on the places I had worked...and bingo, before you know it, the only calls I was getting were to sell insurance!
I was wanting a career change as well. I ended up taking a medical transcription course, and then discovered that it's difficult to get your foot in the door there too! That's another thread on here as well, as is your age reference. I am 48, so not quite 50, but close enough... The only thing I can suggest is to network as much as you can. I have even gone so far as to contact my previous customers for job contacts! These companies have no idea what we did in insurance for all those years... and it's a shame all the skills we worked so hard for are just ignored.
You are not alone! If you'll scan some of the older threads, you'll see that there is are so many of us out there. And some folks on this forum have some viable suggestions.
Don't give up! Good luck in your job search!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.