Oracle and SQL Server training needs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Keffie2

57 months ago

I have about 9 solid years of Oracle Database Administration experience. Prior to that I had 5 - 6 years of DB2 Database Administration. I have a little exposure to SQL Server 2005 administration. My Oracle DBA position is being eliminated and being replaced with a position for an Oracle/Sql Server DBA. There are about 5 months until this replace occurs. I say, because of my years of database administration experience, I could be trained to do SQL Server in that time because the concepts are the same and the problems are similar. The management thinking is that training does not equate to experience. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

oracle user in Edison, New Jersey

55 months ago

Keffie2,
My personal opinion is that you would be an ideal candidate for the sql server position with some training. The management obviously does not have proper advise regarding this!! I think you should have a serious discussion with your management representative(s)-especially those who are their technical advisers..!

Keffie2 said: I have about 9 solid years of Oracle Database Administration experience. Prior to that I had 5 - 6 years of DB2 Database Administration. I have a little exposure to SQL Server 2005 administration. My Oracle DBA position is being eliminated and being replaced with a position for an Oracle/Sql Server DBA. There are about 5 months until this replace occurs. I say, because of my years of database administration experience, I could be trained to do SQL Server in that time because the concepts are the same and the problems are similar. The management thinking is that training does not equate to experience. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.