What are the best database administrator qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a database administrator? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective database administrator?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

Bud in Glen Burnie, Maryland

78 months ago

Oracle is much more lucrative than SQL Server

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (43) Reply - Report abuse

ofostu in Accra, Ghana

64 months ago

I want to become a Database Administrator what do need to know?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (237) / No (44) Reply - Report abuse

Rose Ssemuyaba in London, United Kingdom

63 months ago

Taiwo in Fort Worth, Texas said: Is it a good idea to have a combine training on both Oracle DBA and MS SQL Server DBA to increase the chance of getting a DBA job? OR which one of the DBAs skills mentioned is more lucrative?.

I think both are equally marketable

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Rich in Northfield, Vermont

39 months ago

Certifications will only get you so far. The real-world experience is far more important. I got my first break at DBA work when a manager noticed that I had a very strong aptitude for working with a Filemaker Pro program - and I was asked if I was interested in doing database work. The rest is history - been doing database work now for over 15 years and still love it.
So two things:
- Get your first break by showing aptitude, even if you're not in a traditional DBA job.
- Certs will help show that you know can administer the system, etc.
- BUT, you MUST know the concepts of relational databases INSIDE and OUT in order to be really effective as a DBA.

Good luck -
Rich H.
Northfield Falls, VT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

dba.struggler@gmail.com in Ahmadabad, India

26 months ago

Hi,
Let me tell you my story. I have been in web development since 2 years with strong database knowledge of SQL Server, but newbie for Oracle though I have an OCP certification. I got less opportunity in Oracle. And the opportunities which I got were very less than what i was expecting.
So what i can conclude from my experience is, certify your self if you are a dba!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

barrettnjeri in Spanish Town, Jamaica

23 months ago

i want to know the qualifications for this job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

prashanth kaladi in Bangalore, India

23 months ago

i am doing my masters in systems,, and completed my graduation in computer application.. nw i want to become ad at base administerator.. could u pls sugest me sir

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

Rich Huebner in Northfield, Vermont

23 months ago

barrettnjeri in Spanish Town, Jamaica said: i want to know the qualifications for this job

Typically, a Bachelor's degree in some area of computing is needed, in which you would have taken at least one database course.

Most companies will ask that you are proficient in a specific vendor implementation, such as Sql Server, Oracle, etc. PLUS, you should also have a good grasp of at least one programming language, preferably two. If you study Oracle or want an Oracle DBA job, you will need to know Java. You can get away with VB.NET, C#, or C++ with a SQL Server DBA.

It's helpful to know how to use a programming languages API for accessing different types of databases as well.

Get certified as either MCITP-DBA (Microsoft), OCP or OCM (Oracle), or IBM's DB2 database. These are three of the largest in use. I've decided to focus on mySQL and MS SQL Server.

The key is to do LOADS of hands on practice on your own machine in your own spare time. That is how I've learned a lot, plus taken several graduate level courses in databases as well.

Hope this helps!
Rich

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rssemuyaba in London, United Kingdom

23 months ago

Many thanks. Your advice is very helpful

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Ripon in Jamaica, New York

11 months ago

Hello: Sir I am new in NY. I completed my bachelor in Economics back in my home country. If I want to take DBA as my profession what certifications do I need to have? Can I take DBA as my profession here? I badly need advice... thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Rich Huebner in Acton, Massachusetts

11 months ago

Hi Ripon:

Try to think about transferable skills that might be useful from Economics. Most DBAs are fairly quantitative minded, have outstanding problem solving, critical thinking, and programming skills. There are boot camps available for the different database vendors (Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, etc), that may help train you and prepare you for the certifications. The Oracle certification (OCP and OCM, Oracle Certified Professional and Oracle Certified Master) are well respected in the database community. There are many DBAs that do not have computer science or IT degrees, but I think those people may have had to work a little harder to get to be DBAs. There's so much one learns in the computer science/IT degrees that is applicable to being a DBA. If you haven't had any computing/IT training or coursework, I would highly recommend doing so.

Typically, DBA jobs look for a Bachelor's in Computer Science, MIS, or IT. DBAs also usually know at least one programming language.

Everyone's case is different, but in general, if you can demonstrate some of those DBA skills in a concrete way, and can get certified (either Oracle, or Microsoft, or IBM), then your chances of entering the DBA profession is greatly improved.

If you're not doing any data-related work now, be sure to seek out projects where you can get some hands-on experience either by doing data analysis, or learning how to query the database, etc. You can also consider gaining experience through volunteering in open source projects as a junior/entry-level DBA. I've done a bunch of open source projects in my early career.

Lastly, be absolutely sure you know what you're getting yourself into. There are complexities within the database world that are not for the faint-of-heart. It's an awesome profession, and most of us do it for the challenge and enjoy working with data, plus it pays well.

I hope this helps a little bit! Best wishes to you
-Rich

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

thank you for your kind advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

Another thing I want to know is bachelor in CIS is helpful in this field?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Rich Huebner in Acton, Massachusetts

11 months ago

Hi again,
Yes, a bachelor's in CIS (assuming you mean Computer Information Systems) is an excellent preparation for these types of roles. This type of degree gives you (or should give you) the problem solving and analysis skills that are critical in IT. Most of those programs have a course in database systems; and perhaps a course in systems analysis & design, which I highly recommend. You want to make sure you get as much hands-on practice as possible in any CIS program, as that will prepare you very well for various IT roles - not just being a DBA.

~Rich

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sdk66 in cannanore, India

10 months ago

Sir, i'm presently pursuing my b.tech degree in CS ... Iam a final year student. I desperately like to continu my career with Databases... I am not a well versed student in databases... but would like to learn more... Do i need to join any dba certification course or will it be helpful in learning dba skills online??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

rich huebner in Chandigarh, India

10 months ago

I have done bca by distance but have no knowledge of any programming languages because i have no interest at all in it. I have done oracle 10g dba course recently so can anyone tell me how many chance do i have to get a good job in dba sector.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Sam in Downingtown, Pennsylvania

7 months ago

This following Oracle DBA (self paced online video) course for $40 could help beginners.

A complete Oracle DBA course called 'Oracle Database Administration for Absolute Beginners' is available at a discounted rate. 

www.udemy.com/oracledba/?couponCode=ireorg40

Highlights:
* Self Paced on-demand video course.
* One time fee of $40.
* No time limit on the course's access.
* Udemy.com is one among the leaders in Educational sites.
* Udemy.com has served around 1 Million students.
* This is for beginners.
* Even if you aren't a beginner, please forward this link to others who might be interested.
* If you are part of an IT consulting organization, this could be useful for your employees who can become Junior Oracle DBA consultants. And it can help you in establishing a Database Practice and offer Database Solutions to your clients.
* This can also be given as a GIFT to others including college students whom you know.

The availability of the coupon is limited.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

sundhar in Pune, India

4 months ago

thankyou sir

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rajkumar in Mumbai, India

3 months ago

sir, i have completed Post graduate diploma in information technology, i hv been working as tech support(handle sqldatabase sever and shortout software issue in goverment project (secc project,uid project, lic edms project etc). sir i want interest as dba from ms sql. so pls. sugest me may i eligble for this course ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ali , hyderabad in India

3 months ago

sir, I have completed GNIIT(3yrs degree) course after my graduation in Arts. Now I want to start my career in dba so I choose oracle for specialization course. Is this right option for me or have to choose another please help me....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.