What are typical dental office manager salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 88)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Chula Vista, California

74 months ago

Sandra in Halifax, Nova Scotia said: I was wondering the same thing.

$20-35 an hour

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

It really depends on the office. The most I've heard a dental ofc manager making an hour is $50.00. This is rare though, the average for a manager with a lot of experience is $30.00.
The skills you should learn to increase your salary should be ones that increase your dentists salary, and that will make you a prized asset to the office. $25.00 an hour is still pretty good money, you're just not at your full potential salary wise. That's a good thing, knowing you can still make more! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Dental OM in Las Vegas, Nevada

73 months ago

Yes, it is a starting point. You would not believe the dentists not wanting to hire someone with experience because of money. It is sick. I go into some of these offices and all their billing is messed up...from 2000. I mean they hire a $15.oo Office mgr to mess up their practice. They need to get a clue. You get what you pay for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Crickett in Fort Worth, Texas

73 months ago

Jennifer in Chula Vista, California said: $20-35 an hour
Jennifer, in Houston, Dallas, Texas, salary goes by exper. If you are a manager of small (4) staff office, salary is around 2,000 to 2,500 a month.Larger staff is around 3500 to 42000 a month. Fort Worth is around 3000 to 4800. I know . I turn practices around to make money. Takes about one yr. salary 3800 pr month.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Porcha Eggough in Laguna Hills, California

73 months ago

I think that you should be paid according to your experience and the offices
overall collection performance. I have worked in a corporate setting where I made 45,000.00 to 50,000.00. I them moved to a private office's where I started the practice and was able to request incentives as it grew I ended at 85,000.00 a year approximately 35.00 an hour. But, I do believe that this is rare, most doctor's want to maKe all the money and hire inadequate staff, which ultimately will result in the office never reaching it's full potential. I agree with Crickett in that I have come into offices that were a disaster from inexperienced workers not having the ability to manage all of the systems effectively. I have been able to turn 3 practices into million dollar practices. I think that is worth paying for!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

It would be a little tough going straight to a dental office manager position if you don't have any dental experience. Most dentists will not hire someone with no experience. However, you can start by taking an entry level receptionist position and with your managerial background, you can probably work your way up a little faster than someone without a managerial background. If you do take a job as a dental receptionist, make sure it's at an office where the office manager is willing to eventually "show you the ropes", so that you can move up and start making better money. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

T&A in Las Vegas, Nevada

70 months ago

Thanks! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

T&A in Las Vegas, Nevada

70 months ago

Porcha Eggough in Laguna Hills, California said: I think that you should be paid according to your experience and the offices
overall collection performance. I have worked in a corporate setting where I made 45,000.00 to 50,000.00. I them moved to a private office's where I started the practice and was able to request incentives as it grew I ended at 85,000.00 a year approximately 35.00 an hour. But, I do believe that this is rare, most doctor's want to maKe all the money and hire inadequate staff, which ultimately will result in the office never reaching it's full potential. I agree with Crickett in that I have come into offices that were a disaster from inexperienced workers not having the ability to manage all of the systems effectively. I have been able to turn 3 practices into million dollar practices. I think that is worth paying for!

How do you turn them around?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Alan in Columbus, Ohio

70 months ago

Amy in Springfield, Missouri said: I have had 12+ years in managerial experience, yet none in an office. What are the odds of me being able to handle being a dental office manager or even getting hired. I am a very quick learner and very competitve. Could I do this?

When I started 7 years ago, I had never actually been to a dentist! The dentist told me that he wanted someone with dental experience. I knew that he had $100,000 in uncollected money so I looked him square in the eye and told him that he did not need someone with dental experience but instead someone with management experience. I came from hotel and restaurant management. Needless to say, I got the job. Today I make double what I started making. But I was willing to start low to switch industries and I have navigated the office from one dentist with a staff of 5 to a three dentist practice and 15 employees!

If you are willing to start small you can work your way into a greater position. I also just asked for a 33% raise because of the recent addition of a third partner and 4 new staff. They said that they will pay me that once we ramp up and are seeing the money come in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Amy in Springfield, Missouri

70 months ago

Thanks for the advice. That makes me really excited for the possible opportunity for advancement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kerry Consultant in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

67 months ago

Alan in Columbus, Ohio said: When I started 7 years ago, I had never actually been to a dentist! The dentist told me that he wanted someone with dental experience. I knew that he had $100,000 in uncollected money so I looked him square in the eye and told him that he did not need someone with dental experience but instead someone with management experience. I came from hotel and restaurant management. Needless to say, I got the job. Today I make double what I started making. But I was willing to start low to switch industries and I have navigated the office from one dentist with a staff of 5 to a three dentist practice and 15 employees!

If you are willing to start small you can work your way into a greater position. I also just asked for a 33% raise because of the recent addition of a third partner and 4 new staff. They said that they will pay me that once we ramp up and are seeing the money come in.

I agree with you that there is money to be made. The key is the dentist. Some dentist think like all other employers that you need experience. That is not true. I once got a lead from a person calling a hotel when we were looking for a front office person. We hired a young lady that worked at their front desk. It can work.

The pay is tricky sometimes too. I think Alan got a good deal. Some dentist will promise do several things but the key is based on their integrity. Will they pay up or get amnesia? Experience is not crucial however it can be good for a manager. The question that i pose is how can you really tell if they have the experience that you are looking for? I have seen many people say they have 5 or 10 years experience. Experience is tricky too. Some people have experience managing the numbers but they are horrible managing people. Horrible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kerry Consultant in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

67 months ago

Amy in Springfield, Missouri said: I have had 12+ years in managerial experience, yet none in an office. What are the odds of me being able to handle being a dental office manager or even getting hired. I am a very quick learner and very competitve. Could I do this?

Yes you can get a managers job. Someone one else stated it well. you may have to go in and work the front office or ask them to train you as the one who posts insurance and payments. That is the most critical job in the office. Hopefully for you, you will move up quickly. That is a common trend in the dental business. high turnover. You may want to ask how many people have been hired this year. then be very quiet. Listen for the number and that should tell you whether there is a lot of turn over or not. the good side is you may get promoted fast. the bad side is that the manager is probably the reason they are all leaving. Insecure managers will run off every competitor and the dentist has a hard the seeing that the manager is the problem.

If you go in and are able to land a managers opportunity then great. Ask about their bonus system based on performance. If they don't have one let me know and i can send you a few ideas that should get you great idea ratings.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sweetness in Washington, District of Columbia

66 months ago

AMEN!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

OMG in Las Vegas, Nevada

66 months ago

Crickett in Fort Worth, Texas said: Jennifer, in Houston, Dallas, Texas, salary goes by exper. If you are a manager of small (4) staff office, salary is around 2,000 to 2,500 a month.Larger staff is around 3500 to 42000 a month. Fort Worth is around 3000 to 4800. I know . I turn practices around to make money. Takes about one yr. salary 3800 pr month.

How do you turn offices around????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sandra in Sydney, Nova Scotia

66 months ago

Wow!! I can not believe what you are saying - that is so wrong. I only took my DA course 2 years ago, and actually went back to office admin., due to lack of DA jobs here, but cold sterilize a matrix band, that is digusting. Not wiping the tray??? Wow, you either need to set your dentist straight or talk to your Dept. of Health - with all the diseases going around these days, and lately the flu????
Let us know how you make out....
Sam

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sheila in Magnolia, Texas

66 months ago

I'am a dental office manger. I have 15 yrs experience as a dental assistant and 7yrs as a office manager. I 'am currently working for a small practice 1 dentist with one assistant, 1 hygienist and a hyg coordinator.
Last year we collected $100,000.00 On average we produce $96,000.00 and collect $86,000.00 per month. I feel this is pretty good for a small practice.The office hours are Mon.-Thurs. 7:00am - 3:30pm
I currently make $19.00 an hour on a salary pay of 32hrs a week. I feel I'm under paid for this position. My boss feels I'm over paid for this position there for has denied any raises for the future. He explained I'm to high salary as it is. My question is with my experience what is considered a average salary for this position?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (50) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

A few years ago I changed softwares from dentrix to eaglesoft. Transition is not too bad, they are fairly similiar. Their call center is great at helping with any questions and after using the software for 5 years, I still find myself calling them every now and then. One big thing I noticed with eaglesoft is that there are many different ways to do things, i.e. accessing a patients account, so your coworkers may do it one way and you do it another. All in all, I prefer Eaglesoft over Dentrix and in time I am sure you will too.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alejandra U. in Tampa, Florida

65 months ago

Alan in Columbus, Ohio said: When I started 7 years ago, I had never actually been to a dentist! The dentist told me that he wanted someone with dental experience. I knew that he had $100,000 in uncollected money so I looked him square in the eye and told him that he did not need someone with dental experience but instead someone with management experience. I came from hotel and restaurant management. Needless to say, I got the job. Today I make double what I started making. But I was willing to start low to switch industries and I have navigated the office from one dentist with a staff of 5 to a three dentist practice and 15 employees!

How you did it??????

MCas679 in Orlando, Florida

64 months ago

I am new to the area but have 29 years office management exp. Need to find out what the pay is like down here. I still carry my dental assistant certification. I'm thinking of moving here but not if I cannot support myself. Anyone out there know what the going rate is for the Orlando area? Thanks, I'm flying blind here!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cat in Orlando, Florida

64 months ago

The best office managers are those that have started in the back and then gone to the front office. There is a lot of pressure on assistants and doctors that you will not have a clue about if you have not had this experience. And to tell you the truth the office in dental is so different than other even medical when it comes to knowing how to bill and learning how to deal with people in this field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Frisco, Texas

64 months ago

You absolutely need to know dental insurance if you want to succeed in the front office. It can be done. I had no dental background before getting my job, you just need to dedicate yourself to learning the industry before anyone will give you a chance with their running their office. Start as a financial coordinator, insurance coordinator, or scheduler, and move up from there. Going from 0 dental experience to running a practice would be next to impossible in my opinion. Take some classes and go to trade shows and talk to people.

Bokbok in Pomona, California

64 months ago

Sheila in Magnolia, Texas said: I'am a dental office manger. I have 15 yrs experience as a dental assistant and 7yrs as a office manager. I 'am currently working for a small practice 1 dentist with one assistant, 1 hygienist and a hyg coordinator.
Last year we collected $100,000.00 On average we produce $96,000.00 and collect $86,000.00 per month. I feel this is pretty good for a small practice.The office hours are Mon.-Thurs. 7:00am - 3:30pm
I currently make $19.00 an hour on a salary pay of 32hrs a week. I feel I'm under paid for this position. My boss feels I'm over paid for this position there for has denied any raises for the future. He explained I'm to high salary as it is. My question is with my experience what is considered a average salary for this position?

Yes, you are definitely underpaid. Like most of the previous post here, even a small single practice like your office should be able to pay at least $25/hour. Sometimes you need to switch office to go to the next payscale...some offices just really refuse to pay well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dental Vet in Pomona, California

64 months ago

Kerry Consultant in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma said: I have some advice for you if you are willing to hear it.. .. Also consider professional speaking. Don't try to figure out how just consider getting paid to consult or speak or train for about $3000 a day. Give or take a little. go to the next level.

Can you give me advice on how to transition from Management to Consulting? I have 15 years exp in dentistry (front and back), has a BS in Bus Admin, have worked for single practitioners, to corporate dental groups, and multi-location offices. I'm ready to leave the operations side and want to work for myself. I've been stuck at $65K annual salary. Any recommendations??? Want to network here with me in Cali?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lucky T in Huntington Beach, California

64 months ago

Dental Vet in Pomona...I am in the same boat as you. I have 20+ years experience in a wide array of dental offices. I want to move into the consulting arena but I'm not sure how. I've been doing temp dental assignments hoping to find something that I'm passionate about with no luck. Maybe we should put our heads together...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unknown in Fort Myers, Florida

64 months ago

I have worked as a dental assistant for 6 years and a treatment coordinator for a little over a year(8 years total experience in dentistry). Treatment coordinating earned me $17.60 an hour plus bonus. I just excepted a management position making $20.00 an hour plus bonus, after 90 days I will earn more per hour based on my performance. Don't be afraid to move forward for better opportunities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

TDubb in Napa, California

64 months ago

I was just hired on as an office manager for a chain of dental offices. I have a BA in Law and 7 years of managerial experience. They are starting my pay at $26 an hour with yearly increases in pay. The first 6 months will be paid training and then I will be office manager at one location. It seems to me that the smaller dental offices are not paying nearly as much as the larger ones. I would say go after a bigger practice yet with that would come more responsibility. I will be working for 4 dentists and managing 20 employees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tooth Fairy in Commerce City, Colorado

63 months ago

I was just released from a large corporation that I had worked at for over 5 years as a manager. I have 20 years in dental, starting as an assistant and worked my way up. My ending salary was 50k a year with a 15k bonus potential for each office I ran (3 upon leaving). All of my offices were million dollar practices with single Dr.'s and one part time Hygienist and specialty services a few times a month. The base salary was low, but the bonus potential made up for it. I am now finding that with my experience, I am either OVER or UNDER qualified for the needed services in the current industry. I have decided to go back to school and obtain my Bachelor's in Health Care Management. This will open up doors to the next level of management, as well as the possibility of starting my own consulting business. Hope some of this helps...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

sassy81852@aol.com in Pleasanton, California

62 months ago

I had to give up my 20 year job as an office manager in a fun, well established general dental practice in San Jose, CA to move to Las Vegas on my husbands job transfer. I was making over 70K a year with fantastic benefits. I am intelligent, skilled, and understand all aspects of dentistry and keep up with all the latest. I could not find a job in Las Vegas that paid over 18 dollars an hour for my skills. So I went to work for Macy's and made $10 an hour. I felt I wasn't giving away my skills for $18 an hour. Now that we have had to move back to California, I am again faced with low wages. I have a combined front and back office 37 year career in dentistry , a rare find, all I can say is that I should have gotten out and gone into consulting years ago. I am a very young 57 year old who is facing age and experience discrimination. If you have the chance to go it on your own, DO IT!!! Im employed in a dental office, but have started my own wedding consulting business. Its time to let these dentists fend for them self and their cheap ways.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

flossit in Hallandale, Florida

62 months ago

Sheila in Magnolia, Texas said: I'am a dental office manger. I have 15 yrs experience as a dental assistant and 7yrs as a office manager. I 'am currently working for a small practice 1 dentist with one assistant, 1 hygienist and a hyg coordinator.

Hi, how big is his / her practice? One doctor, one hygienist,one DA? Yes, you deserve more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dentallove in Las Vegas, Nevada

61 months ago

Yes you deserve one but in the current state we are in, there are 12 people waiting for your position and will do the work for less.

hang in there and if he doesn't give you one next year...then start looking

Angela Pratt in ST. LOUIS, Missouri

60 months ago

I've a combined 23 years of clinical (assisting and dental hygienist) and administration of small and large practices. Does anyone know how one can begin marketing themselves to begin consulting?

Desert Staffing in Rancho Mirage, California

57 months ago

Dental OM in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Yes, it is a starting point. You would not believe the dentists not wanting to hire someone with experience because of money. It is sick. I go into some of these offices and all their billing is messed up...from 2000. I mean they hire a $15.oo Office mgr to mess up their practice. They need to get a clue. You get what you pay for.

My husband was the same way.. He hired a young girl to answer the phones as he put it. When she quit due to lack of child care. I went in one day to "help answer the phones' and have been there ever sence. I have a sales and marketing background. Our practice now does 12 times what it did 10 years ago... He now understands that the person at the front desk is a primary element.... Not only that but that also tells you how under appreciated that person is. He really has no clue how valuble his front office staff is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sassy81852@aol.com in Dublin, California

57 months ago

Well I posted 4 months ago,and not a lot has changed. and I have now been in my new position in the East Bay area of California for over 1 1/2 years. I had to beg to get a raise after a year, even after I had totally revamped the Hygiene department which is now making more money and bookings are way up. There is soooo much I could do for this practice, but I refuse to give up my secrets, because they arent getting my expertise for the low wages they want to pay. It's a job, no longer a career like it use to be before I had to move, and to me that is such a waste. These doctors are young, (30 something) and care more about how much they take home in their pocket, instead of being sure they have a staff who will help the practice grow. No wonder health care is in such a mess.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Let's make a deal... Make a deal with your doctor .. Tell him the bottom line on what you've done for him..and what you could do for him.. spell it all out.. Then make hime promise to pay if you deliver the goods. You might have to connect the dots and give him a nudge.. Don't feel stuck, go forward and drag him along..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

sassy81852@aol.com in Livermore, California

57 months ago

I think you should check your production figures, I would say that one doctor producing 180,000 all by him self is pretty difficult to achieve unless every case he is doing is high end. If he works 16-18 days a month he would have to be doing 10K a day,every single day. I find that rather hard to believe. What kind of a dentist is he and where is the practice? But in any event if you your self work 18 days a month, you are only grossing 2,000 a month, why in the world would you work for a doctor who makes 2 million dollars a year and only wants to pay you 14 an hour. and you're the office manager??? Either your figures are wrong, or you need to find a doctor who knows your value. I wouldnt stay there another day, if your figures are in fact correct. How long have you been working as an office manager in dentistry? Kathy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Glorisha, It sounds like you are doing an incredible job. Don't be perplexed that he is only paying you 14. an hour. At least he has the money to give you a raise, if the doctor is grossing 180K a month. That sounds like a solid practice in these difficult times... one where employment will remain steady. Doctors are often hesitant to start new employees at a decent salary as they don't always perform as well as they interview. Some are such clinical creatures they haven't a clue as to how you're performing at the front desk. Remember they have never ran the front office. Now since you've got the job done...show him what that means to him in black and white, dollars and cents. Ask if there's anything else you could do to deserve a raise in pay. Not many doctors will increase pay on their own unless you ask. Good Luck Don’t be shy …show him how proud you are of your performance. Be enthusuastic. He probably appreciates you more than you know if he is aware of what you have done for him. I am always eager to give someone a raise that has earned the money to support the increase in payroll

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Angela Pratt in ST. LOUIS, Missouri said: I've a combined 23 years of clinical (assisting and dental hygienist) and administration of small and large practices. Does anyone know how one can begin marketing themselves to begin consulting?

Send a letter of introduction with your qualifications. Enclosed is a stamped postcard already filled out with the addresses. You would have to design and have them printed The letter would say please return the self addressed postcard for a free practice evaluation. They could check the boxes in the areas of concerns on the back of the post card..and mail it back to you. If you feel you are great at hygiene production. Have that printed on the back of the postcard.” improving your hygiene production” ect. List 6 or 8 areas of concern for them. Make it effortless is the key to getting a response. Also check with the suppliers and dental labs ect. A referral from someone in the dental community could be powerful for you.

lisa in Rancho Mirage, California

57 months ago

Sheila…. I know doctors will not pay their staff based on experience or how long they have been on the job. Nor do they base pay on their production. They pay according to performance. I’ve worked with dental assistants that weren’t worth a darn and had been in the business for years. I’ve also worked with assistants with poor attitudes that feel it’s time for a raise and bend over backward to avoid working too hard. I’m sure you are neither. If some one is great at what they do they should be paid for it. We both know to be really great at dentistry it does take experience.We need more great experienced people in dentistry. We always get back what we put into it. It may take you longer if you have to sell yourself to your Dr. I found more times than not the doctor clearly does not understand how great you are. Bring your successes to his attention.. If you are sure that he clearly understands how great you are and he remains the same Maybe he’s just cheep and you need to move on. Almost always if you make him money and he knows it, he’ll appreciate you and deliver raises that are earned. Good Luck

sassy81852@aol.com in San Francisco, California

57 months ago

I dont understand where you girls get your figures from. You say last year we collected 100,000.00 yet you say you produced 96,000 a month. None of that adds up, You should be collecting one million, one hundred fifty two thousand dollars a year. If you guys cant add up what you actually do, I wonder what kind of front office manager you really are!!! Come on ladies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

lisa in Rancho Mirage, California

57 months ago

It's obvious that the poor girl made a typo and ment to say 1,000,000.00 I'm sure that has nothing to do with what type of office manager she is,,Comon Ladies

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Glorisha in Muskogee, Oklahoma

57 months ago

sassy81852@aol.com in Livermore, California said: I think you should check your production figures, I would say that one doctor producing 180,000 all by him self is pretty difficult to achieve unless every case he is doing is high end. If he works 16-18 days a month he would have to be doing 10K a day,every single day. I find that rather hard to believe. What kind of a dentist is he and where is the practice? But in any event if you your self work 18 days a month, you are only grossing 2,000 a month, why in the world would you work for a doctor who makes 2 million dollars a year and only wants to pay you 14 an hour. and you're the office manager??? Either your figures are wrong, or you need to find a doctor who knows your value. I wouldnt stay there another day, if your figures are in fact correct. How long have you been working as an office manager in dentistry? Kathy

No, my numbers are correct! We actually do see a lot of cosmetic cases we also have our own lab so we do quite a bit of partial and dentures with full mouth extractions. We also have a hygienist who has a daily average of 2500 a day we do double hygiene. The doctors daily goal for himself his 9000. Yes we see many patients, we also are providers for virtually all insurance companies and we also accept the Oklahoma state welfare insurance. I love my place of employment the women I work with including the doctor I just don't feel that I'm being compensated for my job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

minxie77 in New Hartford, New York

56 months ago

My doctor wants me to take over the business while he travels out of the country to "find himself". He is planning on hiring an associate while away, and with a staff of 1 hygienist, 1 DA, and he will be hiring a front desk gal, he would like to know what I would like to make. He wants me to have a a Dental Office Managerge of the business... aka the business does well i make more money. This makes me nervous not having a set amount. What do you think?

56 months ago

My doctor wants me to take over the business while he travels out of the country to "find himself". He is planning on hiring an associate while away, and with a staff of 1 hygienist, 1 DA, and he will be hiring a front desk gal, he would like to know what I would like to make. He wants me to have a percentage of the business... aka the business does well i make more money. This makes me nervous not having a set amount. What do you think? I am currently making $16.oo an hour as the receptionist/assistant office manager...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

wow, a dentist who needs to find him self. That's scary. I would insist on a base salary, and then a % of his income, but wait. What is his overhead? Bottom line is how much does he take home every month after all his bills and salaries are paid? And why is he willing to give you a portion of that, when now he is only paying you $16 dollars an hour. How long is he going to be gone for and how are his patients going to accept an associate doing their treatment? Before you sign up for any of this, you probably will need to have a legal contract written up and a lawyer help you, other wise, all money coming into that office is going to be paid to him and you have no right to any of it.

Tina in Palm Desert, California

56 months ago

That’s a fabulous opportunity, provided that you know what you are doing. I would train staff, have weekly meetings and take the practice to a new level. Just make sure your % is enough for you to survive on plus the new associate’s salary of last year to start with. Find all the opportunities for growth like a new in-house referral system, or bring new procedures into the practice. Make sure its on collection and not a profit and loss statement that you can not control. Put systems in place to control down time ect. If your confident you can do such things DO IT !

56 months ago

The reason you need a legal contract is that the owner of a business is leaving town and turning the business over to a young woman he is paying 16.00 an hour to now which is a pretty low wage in the first place, but now thinks she can run an entire practice with an associate that his exsisting patients might not want to have anything to do with, all the while he is telling her that she can have a portion of his income. Business owners do not behave like this, why would they? I have no idea why he needs to find him self, but if you ask me, the whole thing sounds like a house of cards that would crash down and leave this young lady with out a job. Pay attention to the red flags flying here!!! Unless this woman is an educated practice manager with years of business management skills, which i doubt due to her low wages already, looks to me like the boss who cant find him self is running away from what ever it is that would cause him to do this. Hope there isnt an ex wife, or kids who depend on his income.

Tina in Palm Desert, California

56 months ago

She has no legal interest in the practice. He's still the owner regardless of where he is. Obviously he wants her to have a vested interest in the practice while he's gone. He’s not trying to take advantage. He needs someone to tend to things while he’s gone and he knows an associate is not going to do that. Legally the STATE dictates to how an employer has to pay an employee. Is she going to quit her job and become partner or an independent consultant? If she is acting outside the state regulations for employment guidelines she would be an independent and need a contract and lawyer. The state regulations would not protect her if she is not an employee. This would not be wise to put yourself outside the umbrella of protection that your state provides. She may have no legal recourse if she were to become independent outside the contract. Sounds risky to me. Then she would have to pay her own legal fees if he faulted on the contract

56 months ago

I live in Central New York, the wages here are quite low to correspond with the lower cost of living. I agree with both of the comments that the dds wants me to watch over his business while he is gone and trusts me to make the right decisions, but I also feel a lawyer could help write up a contract so that if for some reason the associate decides one day they don't want to work anymore, I am protected. I will be seeking legal counsel at least protect myself. My main worry is that I have to depend on someone else to produce, something I do not need to worry about with an hourly wage. Our office takes Medicaid and of the entire Central New York area there are only 3 dentists that do, so patient-wise unfortunately these people have no choice. If they do not like the associate they have no where else to go except for the ER. Sad but true, we will always have a patient load that is more than we can handle.

tamgry in Powell, Ohio

50 months ago

Dental OM in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Yes, it is a starting point. You would not believe the dentists not wanting to hire someone with experience because of money. It is sick. I go into some of these offices and all their billing is messed up...from 2000. I mean they hire a $15.oo Office mgr to mess up their practice. They need to get a clue. You get what you pay for.

I trained a front desk person from scratch and she is really awesome! Sometimes it is best to give someone with the right personality a chance.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.