Top dental office manager skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every dental office manager must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your dental office manager expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

Maria in Mishawaka, Indiana

60 months ago

1. The most important thing that I can tell you is that you must be excellent with accounts receivable.
2. Be able to multitask and be able to handle a multitude of responsibilities with organization.
3. Be and excellent leader.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cat in Orlando, Florida

58 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every dental office manager must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your dental office manager expertise?

felxibility, attention to detail, and prior experience as a dental assistant a huge deal. You can't run something you have no idea how it works.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Unknown in Fort Myers, Florida

57 months ago

I am working on an associate in arts degree. I am also a public notary. Prior to management I was a dental assistant and my certifications do not expire. Dentist like to see their administrators make efforts to continue education and training. Though college degrees are not required, it will set you apart from other applicants in a competitive job market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tooth Fairy in Commerce City, Colorado

57 months ago

1. Coachability- Your ability to be an excellent coach to your team, treating them individually and with respect. HARD ON RESULTS, SOFT ON PEOPLE.

2. Multitasking- You need to be able to stay calm in a fast paced environment, and keep your head in the game with multiple projects and responsibilities going on at one time.

3. Results- You need to be able to get results!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

DBird in Fort Worth, Texas

55 months ago

Know your priorities:

1 Patient Care
2 Schedule in front of you
3 CHECK IN/CHECK OUT
4 Production/Collection

Teamwork is so important. Clinical staff and front desk must have continuous open communication. As office manager you should make this one of your major priorites. It's like the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

Managing your Collection and Production goals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

unknown in Watsonville, California

53 months ago

cat in Orlando, Florida said: felxibility, attention to detail, and prior experience as a dental assistant a huge deal. You can't run something you have no idea how it works.

I disagree on one point. You don't have to be a dental assistant to be an office manager in the dental field. I have 23 years in dental. Never was an assistant and I go in and turn practices around and make very good money doing it. I never had the clinical training, only an x-ray license and I make $80k per year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Margaret in Mississauga, Ontario

47 months ago

unknown in Watsonville, California said: I disagree on one point. You don't have to be a dental assistant to be an office manager in the dental field. I have 23 years in dental. Never was an assistant and I go in and turn practices around and make very good money doing it. I never had the clinical training, only an x-ray license and I make $80k per year.

Dentistry is not only about "turning practices around and making very good money".
Not knowing filosophy of dentistry and ethical aspects of it, and also lacking knowlege of all aspects of dentistry , makes you forget about the most important: The Patient!!So it is a great deal to be dental assistant prior to become a good manager, not the collection clerc in your office.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

pinkmusichorse@gmail.com in Brampton, Ontario

6 months ago

Wanting more useful info to knowing how to be a great Dental Office Manager

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dr.sabrina in Baltimore, Maryland

6 months ago

Hi..I have my Xray certification ,and wish to know if any specific courses for being a office manager in a dental office.thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.