Past due balance during orthodontic tx

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

ana805 in Romeoville, Illinois

20 months ago

Yes, we have financial arrangements and they are sign before starting orthodontic treatment but what I have been noticing more often that parents are losing jobs while their kids are in TX(treatment) and they stop coming to their appointments or the parent just send the patient without any payment how do you handle a parent and a patient who has failed to pay during orthodontic treatment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

20 months ago

Thirty years ago I had my braces (age 23), at a brace mill ($100 down and $35 a month). A girl (age 15) came in alone. Her mother hadn't paid in four months. The girl just showeed up. She said her mother told her she had an appointment. At the front desk, they told her what the contract was,and that the mother hadn't paid anything in four months, and they had discussed it with the mother. They told the girl they were under no obligation to give her adjustments without payment. They told the girl is the mother could come up with half the payments they would consider it. The girl was embarrassed. They told the girl (at the end), we have attempted to contact your mother to discuss payment plans, we cannot treat you until then, go home and tell your mother she needs to contact us.

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

20 months ago

Correction: They had send letters to the mother, and attempted phone calls. The mother hadn't paid anything in four months, and the girl hadn't been there (either four months or two or three).

How it worked: You paid the initial $100, they did the impressions, you came back and in two different setting they did the braces. You paid $35.00 each time you went.

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

20 months ago

ana805 in Romeoville, Illinois said: Yes, we have financial arrangements and they are sign before starting orthodontic treatment but what I have been noticing more often that parents are losing jobs while their kids are in TX(treatment) and they stop coming to their appointments or the parent just send the patient without any payment how do you handle a parent and a patient who has failed to pay during orthodontic treatment.
You may have to handle it on a case by case basis, but your dental office doesn't work for free (my dentist sure doesn't!) and requires payment at time of service. Try to work out a payment plan - even a modest one. Otherwise, no payment, no appointment, no treatment. Emergencies might be the exception. Alternatively, a city or county health clinic may offer dental services.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

20 months ago

ana805 in Romeoville, Illinois said: Yes, we have financial arrangements and they are sign before starting orthodontic treatment but what I have been noticing more often that parents are losing jobs while their kids are in TX(treatment) and they stop coming to their appointments or the parent just send the patient without any payment how do you handle a parent and a patient who has failed to pay during orthodontic treatment.
You may have to handle it on a case by case basis, but your dental office doesn't work for free (my dentist sure doesn't and requires payment at time of service). Try to work out a payment plan - even a modest one. Otherwise, no payment, no appointment, no treatment. Emergencies might be the exception. Alternatively, a city or county health clinic may offer dental services.

CORRECTED

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.