Getting a dental office receptionist job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Host

How did you get your start doing dental office receptionist work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

MIMI in Douglasville, Georgia

84 months ago

i really want to work in the medical field and go to school but I need a job first so I can work in the Dental field and go to school to be a Dental Hygenist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kristina in Arlington, Virginia

83 months ago

Nope, I graduated with a communications degree in PR and Journalism and started working at a dds office. I learned everything in a few months. Was really easy. College degree really helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tammy in Monterey, California

81 months ago

I was a pediatric dental assistant for 14 years and decided to move to the front. It helps to have expeience in the field of dentistry, but like any front office it's easy to learn.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melissa in Chula Vista, California

78 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing dental office receptionist work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

No, you just need an office that is willing to train someone. A lot of times you will find this, as a lot of managers do not want compitition for their job, so they'd rather train someone who won't be a threat. If she's good, learn from her, and then look for another office where you have more responsibility (and more pay). Work your way up the ladder. In San Diego good dental office manager can make upwards of 35-40 an hour. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

marilu in Houston, Texas

47 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing dental office receptionist work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

i actually was the dental assistant when our receptionist walked out on us one day and i took over the front desk position. its been almost 2 years.:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

laneicestreet in Detroit, Michigan

45 months ago

I had been working in the dental office for seven years, medical profession for 15 years. My goal with every job I have is to make the patients happy then I feel like I have done my job . Wanting to been a team player mkes the day go by real smooth. Greet all patients with a smile , treat them the way you want to be treated. I learned how to do chairside, make impressions,take x-rays, billing and insurance quotes, also learned some management experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

liciaw in Dearborn, Michigan

45 months ago

laneicestreet in Detroit, Michigan said: I had been working in the dental office for seven years, medical profession for 15 years. My goal with every job I have is to make the patients happy then I feel like I have done my job . Wanting to been a team player mkes the day go by real smooth. Greet all patients with a smile , treat them the way you want to be treated. I learned how to do chairside, make impressions,take x-rays, billing and insurance quotes, also learned some management experience.

Sounds like you are in a good office, I have been in the field for 16 years myself and still looking for a decent office to work in....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in North Chicago, Illinois

24 months ago

I got my start by working in the Health Center at my local community college as I was finishing my associate degree in General Studies thanks to the Work-Study program. If someone is currently in college, I think this is a good starting place should they want to actively pursue healthcare reception down the road.

If you're attending a college that has a dental hygiene program and operates a Dental Hygiene Clinic, then getting in a a receptionist via the Work-Study program as you're going through your education would be even better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.