What do you enjoy most about your dental office receptionist career?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Host

What do you enjoy most about being a dental office receptionist? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Reply - Report abuse

ashley in Canton, Georgia

78 months ago

The only opportunity to grow and advance is the high turn over in the career. the pressure is high and dentist are crazy and mean. I have worked for 4 in just 2 years and left all of them to go to another. Each office I have worked out I was always like the 4th or 5th employee taking over that position in less than a year b/c of the stress. the only thing I like is its interesting if you like medical and dental. I did business with accounting and mortgages before dental and it was cubicle type work. now its more lively and much better pay 15-22 hr but the stress is nuts and its mostly sales and drs are seriously manic jerks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rachel in Griffin, Georgia

65 months ago

I really enjoy working as a receptionist to a dental practice. I worked for one practice for four years, and left because i moved and am now working for another one. I enjoy the interaction with the patients. When you learn their names and they become familiar with you, it makes them more eager to come, they feel WELCOME at the office and not just another dollar in the drs pocket. That is sooo important. The thing i dislike the most is people who try to be sneaky and don't want to pay. That is the most challenging part. (in my opinion) My best advice is just to be as sweet as you can be but also be stern and let them know that here are lab costs involved that the doctor has already paid on their behalf (if that applies, such as dentures, bridges, crowns, partials, etc.)

I have seen on many posts people talk about what "jerks" their drs are. It is true a dentist can be difficult to work for, however, i feel that their "anal" behavior is necessary for the job they do. They work in such a small space that they have to be very precise and specific. honestly i'd rather work for someone who had a plan, knew what they wanted and how they wanted it. Then i know exactly what they expect from me. So I guess it just depends on your personality.

The first dr. i worked for was not big on raises. He promised bonuses but rarely gave them out. But he took us out for lunch atleast 4-5 times a month and constantly verbally praised us, not my choice, but you take what you can get.

The dr. i work for now is much better about moneitary incentives. I think the bottom line is just to truely love your job. If you don't, fake it until you believe you love it (or find another career) I honestly think it is a great fun job. Be willing to learn and let them know you are, like learning to take xrays, working with insurance, wanting to learn the ways of the business, etc. It will be noticed! And you never know when they may look for an office manager replacement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

Malaika M in Brooklyn, New York

65 months ago

Oh Rachel your post was so helpful to me I am working in a dental office and it's stressing me, but I really enjoy my job. It's the first time I'm doing reception in a dental office... and oh how I wish you could train me. Been doing this for 6 months so far, and it's a new office things are a little hectic right now especially with the doctors but I have faith and patience it will all work out anymore tips you can give me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly in Brooklyn, New York

60 months ago

Hi Malaika,

I also live in brooklyn and i'm looking to work in the dental office field. I was wondering if you had to take any training or courses before obtaining the job and if so where did you attend? Any advice would be greatly appericated.

thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Malaika M in Brooklyn, New York

59 months ago

Hi Kelly sorry it took so long to reply I've been really busy with work lol/ No I didn't take any courses for this job. I was one of the lucky few. With no experience in working in a medical/dental office I got the job and within a month of working there the other receptionist left and I was working there alone I got the hang of it. My best advice to you is when working there make sure patients are eligible get their copays if you have the time to explain to the patient their benefits that is always nice to do. Some people don't know their benefits and are under the impression that their insurance covers them at 100% when in truth not always the case. Make sure your insurance savy. Good luck :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chillicat in Vancouver, British Columbia

58 months ago

Host said: What do you enjoy most about being a dental office receptionist? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

I worked in 2 Chinese dental clinics. The receptionists there are all trained from work and I was trained from school. They seemed jealous to my qualification, did not show welcoming attitude, either telling you very fast, or making rumors to the manager. SO I left for sure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

marianyeliz in Bayonne, New Jersey

11 months ago

Kelly in Brooklyn, New York said: Hi Malaika,

I also live in brooklyn and i'm looking to work in the dental office field. I was wondering if you had to take any training or courses before obtaining the job and if so where did you attend? Any advice would be greatly appericated.

thank you

.I'm taking a course online www.blackstonecareerinstitute.com
Ones u pass the course ul be certified. And you can also take the national board exam if u work 2yr fulltime 4yrs partime..not all school offerd that. fee
1.444. you should go for it..they give you at least 2yrs..if you need more time you must pay 75 $ for 6 month.

5 yrs experience as a dental receptionist..live in staten island ny

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

marianyeliz in Bayonne, New Jersey

11 months ago

Kelly in Brooklyn, New York said: Hi Malaika,

thank you

You don't have to..but it can be very helpfull to you to have more knowledge about what you are doin. Youl become more open minded and be sure about what your doin.. pts need to see that. That's why I'm taki g a coures online at blacksto ecareer institute..eventhough iv been working for 4 yr I stkll think I need to know more about the job as a d.r ..well I guess every head is difrent. But u should take a look at ghe website and see for yourself.
The dentist I work with is realy nice..I dong think I will find one like that.. I realy want to work in brooklyn but I guess doctors are more stressfull andd rude too. Is it true? I live in s.I ny. Jeje hope this can help .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.