What would be the easier way to get my foot in?work as a volunteer or get hired somewhere?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Worriedaboutjob in Fairfax, Virginia

79 months ago

I am trying to get a Dental Front Office Receptionist job for the past 3 months and alsmost everywhere they ask for experience.I have foreign experience and I have done a 2 month Dental Admin Assistant course hoping that this might get me the job.I was offered a work interview from one periodontic office but the salary they offered me was $10/hr and no benefits.I thought that was too low.I was told in my course that an unexperienced Dental Office Assistant should get around $13-$14/hr.Have the rates started to go down because of recession?What should my starting rate be because at other dental offices the rate offered is $12/hr but they want Dentrix experience?Should I just start some where as a volunteer only for the sake of experience?What is the growth opportunity in this field?At some other dental offices the rate offered is $18/hr even if you have 1+ experience.Isn't this ridiculous?Please advice.I want to first start working in general dentist office so that I can have Dentrix experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Mary-Margaret

74 months ago

Worriedaboutjob in Fairfax, Virginia said: I am trying to get a Dental Front Office Receptionist job for the past 3 months and alsmost everywhere they ask for experience.I have foreign experience and I have done a 2 month Dental Admin Assistant course hoping that this might get me the job.I was offered a work interview from one periodontic office but the salary they offered me was $10/hr and no benefits.I thought that was too low.I was told in my course that an unexperienced Dental Office Assistant should get around $13-$14/hr.Have the rates started to go down because of recession?What should my starting rate be because at other dental offices the rate offered is $12/hr but they want Dentrix experience?Should I just start some where as a volunteer only for the sake of experience?What is the growth opportunity in this field?At some other dental offices the rate offered is $18/hr even if you have 1+ experience.Isn't this ridiculous?Please advice.I want to first start working in general dentist office so that I can have Dentrix experience.

Hello!

You should have taken the job even if it was at $10 an hour. That is how you gain the experience. Most dental jobs do not have medical insurance, unless you are working for a large organization.Stay at the smaller job for at least 2-3 years to gain the experience. Also your course informed you wrong. When I started out I was getting $10 an hour. I have worked my way up at different jobs, and now am making over $16 an hour.

Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ella in Lynbrook, New York

71 months ago

totally agree with mary-margaret. firstly, don't ever listen to those who tell you what's out there without actually being out there. no one pays a DA or receptionist more that $10-$11 to start. i was lucky to get my first office job making $12/hr ONLY because i had worked as dental customer service rep for Blue Cross Blue Shield and knew dental insurance inside out. i needed to learn the workflow of the office and the computer system, but they did not have to train me in insurance and i knew how to talk to insurance companies because i knew the "inside job". if you have no experience at all, you need to be patient! my friend after being a teacher's aid for 10 years, went to a dental office as as DA and makes $11/hr. and this is NYC suburbs - we make more money than actually in the City!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Emily in Henderson, Nevada

60 months ago

I've been looking for some information on how to gain Dentrix experience. I'm still not able to figure out how and where to get this vital experience unless I've gone to to dental assistant school. I am looking to start out at the front desk to gain exposure to the overall environment before I dive into an extensive training program. Can anyone give me advice on this? I am considering the idea posted by the last person about volunteering simply to gain exposure to this information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

fraannewlandperkins@gmail.com in Canton, Texas

60 months ago

Emily in Henderson, Nevada said: I've been looking for some information on how to gain Dentrix experience. I'm still not able to figure out how and where to get this vital experience unless I've gone to to dental assistant school. I am looking to start out at the front desk to gain exposure to the overall environment before I dive into an extensive training program. Can anyone give me advice on this? I am considering the idea posted by the last person about volunteering simply to gain exposure to this information.

Hi I live in east Texas and have a suggestion. Contact all Temp services in the dental field and see if they will train you in the Dentrix program. Other tan that, contact all dental offices and see if they wull take you on a volunteer basis in exchange for the Dentrix training you need. The most imprtant thing is getting the training at this time. I know here in the Dallas ares the adds for front dental office training is very very limited right now.

Fran

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Julia in Markham, Ontario

59 months ago

I'm a level 1 Dental Assisting graduate in Ontario. I took a job in assisting after graduating and made $14/hr and I hated it. I felt overworked and underpaid. So I decided to switch to reception. I made $15/hr at my first reception job no schooling experience in that area and less than a year experience doing assisting. I switched offices again and now I get $16/hr.

If you want to get hired as a receptionist, you should go into an office in person and make sure you hand your resume over to the office manager because 9 times out of 10 they are probably going to be the one interviewing you, not the dentist. Also if they aren't busy they may interview you on the spot, so be prepared and look presentable. It doesn't hurt to sit down and write down things you think you will be asked in a job interview beforehand. Make sure you brainstorm answers to the most common interview questions ie: What is your greatest strength/weakness? Explain a situation where you went above and beyond expectation. Where do you expect to be in 5 years? etc. Obviously you don't want to sound too rehearsed, but you need to be prepared.

It is honestly all about making that person like you at first. Be friendly. Be likeable. And if you are offered an opportunity or trial day PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO DETAIL. The less times you have to be shown how to do something, the more competent you look, and the more confidence they will have in you as a hire.

Also, do some research on cover letter and resume writing. Make sure you don't have too much unnecessary crap on your resume. There should be no spelling or continuity errors.

I hope that helps a little bit. Just doing a little extra preparation before got me hired at the first office I walked into.

And as someone else said before, take the job that only offers you $10/hr. Do it for a little bit then use it as experience. Look at the first time you get hired as a stepping stone to get to where you eventually want to be. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Julia in Markham, Ontario

59 months ago

I should point out that my hourly pay sounds better here but I'm in Canada so our dollar is weaker. Plus, minimum wage in Ontario is like $10.50 an hour now, so I'm not getting paid that great. There is definitely room to make more in the future though.

Olga in Ottawa, Ontario

43 months ago

Julia in Markham, Ontario said: I should point out that my hourly pay sounds better here but I'm in Canada so our dollar is weaker. Plus, minimum wage in Ontario is like $10.50 an hour now, so I'm not getting paid that great. There is definitely room to make more in the future though.

Yes, I'm going to Durham College and soon to be graduating however what I've done was apply during Christmas break for volunteering at a Dental Office in Toronto and with that has given me experience with Dentrix and actual Work Experience...and I'm plugging away looking for employment as I graduate in a couple of months.

Sameboat in Silver Spring, Maryland

43 months ago

Worriedaboutjob in Fairfax, Virginia said: I am trying to get a Dental Front Office Receptionist job for the past 3 months and alsmost everywhere they ask for experience.I have foreign experience and I have done a 2 month Dental Admin Assistant course hoping that this might get me the job.I was offered a work interview from one periodontic office but the salary they offered me was $10/hr and no benefits.I thought that was too low.I was told in my course that an unexperienced Dental Office Assistant should get around $13-$14/hr.Have the rates started to go down because of recession?What should my starting rate be because at other dental offices the rate offered is $12/hr but they want Dentrix experience?Should I just start some where as a volunteer only for the sake of experience?What is the growth opportunity in this field?At some other dental offices the rate offered is $18/hr even if you have 1+ experience.Isn't this ridiculous?Please advice.I want to first start working in general dentist office so that I can have Dentrix experience.

You can actually order Dentrix software-for about $50 www.dentrix.com-and work with that in your spare time. If you haven't learned it already by now.

Sameboat in Silver Spring, Maryland

43 months ago

Sameboat in Silver Spring, Maryland said: You can actually order Dentrix software-for about $50 www.dentrix.com-and work with that in your spare time. If you haven't learned it already by now.

www.dentrix.com

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.