05 international 4300 series power problem

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 442)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Nelson in Ontario, California

85 months ago

hey all, we've been dealing with 3 trucks in our fleet that are experiencing severe power losses. no codes are being set, and several things have been tried up to and including changing turbos and injectors. we are wondering if the new fuel might be causing because this problem has surfaced since it's release. of course international is not being very helpful in releasing information, and our 07 has similar problems and has been in and out of thier shop many times, each time with different parts being replaced in what seems to be a "try it and see if that works" approach to repair. any feedback would be aprecciated. thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (107) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

bryanpmc in Orange Park, Florida

85 months ago

Paul in Kingman, Arizona said: I currently a mechanic for Ryder Transportation...and we've been having issue's with power loss because of a particular Fleetgaurd fuel filter part number ff42000....they allow to many contaminants to flow through injectors and will eventually mess them up, lol...hope this helps
I also once had a 4300 lose power because of the water thermostat opening to soon, allowing coolant through flow and not allowing the engine to reach normal operating temp correctly.....hope that will help you guy..best of luck

look at the fuel filter clogged, contaminated, even if recently (last 10,000 miles or so) any posibility of fuel contamination especially with rental equipment...bacteria will grow in diesel fuel.....water will be trapped by a good filter and over time will not allow diesel fuel to flow thru properly...remember on of the basic elements of diesel fuel injection is the "excess fuel is returned to the tank, and is warmed by the injectors, thus the system will "naturally" produce water due to condesation forming sometimes in the tank.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

chirs in San Diego, California

79 months ago

hay anybody got a 04 international 4300 i need the turbo or and number to aleast to rebuild them please call 619-414-0064or 619-754-3636 or email customturbocars@gamil.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jer93L@hotmail.com in Rochester, New York

75 months ago

Is the surge tank boiling over?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

lico miller in Alpine, Texas

74 months ago

Jer93L@hotmail.com in Rochester, New York said: Is the surge tank boiling over?

No, I thought it was but it was the radiator cap. once I replaced it it has been full and no water loss at all. If it boils over, where does the water go? I don't see a reservoir like my pick-up.
thanks, Lico

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jer93L@hotmail.com in Rochester, New York

74 months ago

You'll notice coolant on the ground from the overflow hose on the surge tank. I've experienced this before, they'll usually only do it under a load or when they're really hot. Check for soot-exhaust traces by the radiator cap, if there is then you've got a blown head gasket. Another thing you can try if you don't find any issues is to clean the radiator fins out with compressed air. Alot of trucks that are in and out of pits, new construction, etc will fill up the spaces in the fins and then they won't cool like they should.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

e.g. in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

73 months ago

Lico Miller in Terlingua, Texas said: I have a international box truck with the 466E and it is overheating. Tried no thermostat...no luck radiator is sound and I replaced the radiator cap. Fan clutch kicks in at around 215 on the gauge and succeeds in cooling her down to 210. Is my gauge going out? Funny knock in the front of the engine when cold..thought it was the valves but they adjusted and I still have the noise...any help is greatly appreciated.

over heating check guage for acurracy & water pump may be falling apart. also engine noise can be caused by injector spray pattern not spraying correctly, noticeable when cold only & smells like raw fuel smell also. check it

tommycompton in La Place, Louisiana

72 months ago

hy i have a 2005 dt466 with no start.i do know it is fuel problem can enybody help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (59) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

W.T. Smart in Tyler, Texas

71 months ago

I have a 2003 model 4300,with a DT 466,it will start good only when the engine reaches full operating temp,but when it cools even for 30 minutes it will not start.It acts as if it is out of diesel.But you can spray a small amount of engine starting fluid and it will start rt up and run fine with lots of power.Need help.
W.T.
again it will start without starting fluid only when engine is at full operating temp.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (60) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

email me when any new comments are added

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jeremy in Rochester, New York

71 months ago

W.T. Smart in Tyler, Texas said: I have a 2003 model 4300,with a DT 466,it will start good only when the engine reaches full operating temp,but when it cools even for 30 minutes it will not start.It acts as if it is out of diesel.But you can spray a small amount of engine starting fluid and it will start rt up and run fine with lots of power.Need help.
W.T.
again it will start without starting fluid only when engine is at full operating temp.

Sounds to me like your oil rail O-rings are leaking by. Try to pressurize the oil rail with shop air if you have the adapters to do so. If you are able, leave the shop air hooked up and listen closely to the valve cover, after a few minutes, after the air has displaced the oil in the rail, you will hear airflow under the valve cover. If you do hear air, then get an oil rail o-ring kit and a crankcase breather o-ring. Remove the valve cover and oil rail. Flip it over on a bench and replace the o-rings. Re-assemble and you'll be good to go. FYI, it will crank for a bit before it starts, this is because it needs to purge the air out of the system before the oil pressure will go to work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Jeremy in Rochester, New York said: Sounds to me like your oil rail O-rings are leaking by. Try to pressurize the oil rail with shop air if you have the adapters to do so. If you are able, leave the shop air hooked up and listen closely to the valve cover, after a few minutes, after the air has displaced the oil in the rail, you will hear airflow under the valve cover. If you do hear air, then get an oil rail o-ring kit and a crankcase breather o-ring. Remove the valve cover and oil rail. Flip it over on a bench and replace the o-rings. Re-assemble and you'll be good to go. FYI, it will crank for a bit before it starts, this is because it needs to purge the air out of the system before the oil pressure will go to work.

Scratch that, I thought you wrote a 2005. On a 2003 I would run an injector buzz test on it cold. You probably have a few bad injectors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jack in Grand Rapids, Michigan

71 months ago

I have the same issue as jeremy in roch,
2003 int 4300 466, will not fire when cold, tiny bit of ether and it fires and runs great. no codes, 30k on 6 new injectors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

jack in Grand Rapids, Michigan said: I have the same issue as jeremy in roch,
2003 int 4300 466, will not fire when cold, tiny bit of ether and it fires and runs great. no codes, 30k on 6 new injectors.

Do you have an intake heater?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Jeremy
I dont know if I have an intake heater,there is device about midway of the intake with 3 wires running to it.
W.T.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Big wires? like eight or four gauge?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Jeremy in Rochester, New York said: Big wires? like eight or four gauge?

Jeremy
I should have known better,the wires are 16 gauge.
Thanks W.T.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

I assume you wired the intake heater with wires that are too small?

71 months ago

Or were you talking about the intake temp sensor?

Mike

69 months ago

International DT466 has a knock on top of engine (I think on the top) and will not start.

jack in Wyoming, Michigan

69 months ago

Due to the fact that I am kind, I'll tell you what my problem was ^^ up there. One fuse on the cables near the battery box had some corrosion in it. It was the one that control injection control. FYI.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jdharris68@comcast.net in Upper Marlboro, Maryland

68 months ago

Nelson in Ontario, California said: hey all, we've been dealing with 3 trucks in our fleet that are experiencing severe power losses. no codes are being set, and several things have been tried up to and including changing turbos and injectors. we are wondering if the new fuel might be causing because this problem has surfaced since it's release. of course international is not being very helpful in releasing information, and our 07 has similar problems and has been in and out of thier shop many times, each time with different parts being replaced in what seems to be a "try it and see if that works" approach to repair. any feedback would be aprecciated. thanks

Yes. That would be my best guess just as everybody else. If all has already been checked out then the next logical would be the fuel. Always .... back to the basics; fuel, oxygen, ignition, combustion. The four necessary componets for engine power. Also, you might want to check the filters and the electrical harness lines to the fuel injectors. They might get hot and fail to deliver the proper voltage. You can also contact the National Ford Dealer Ship by calling the 1-800 number listed on their web site. I found them to be very helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

towman233 in Red Deer, Alberta

68 months ago

i own a 2005 international 4300 with a DT466. when it has sat over night it will start, but only after cranking for about 30 seconds...after it has been running long enough to get up to operating temp and i shut it off the only way to get it to start again other than letting it sit overnight is to "prime" it with starting fluid. Any ideas, fuel filter has been changed, low pressure fuel regulator has been changed and tank was removed and steamed to make sure there was no contaminates. thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

towman233 in Red Deer, Alberta said: i own a 2005 international 4300 with a DT466. when it has sat over night it will start, but only after cranking for about 30 seconds...after it has been running long enough to get up to operating temp and i shut it off the only way to get it to start again other than letting it sit overnight is to "prime" it with starting fluid. Any ideas, fuel filter has been changed, low pressure fuel regulator has been changed and tank was removed and steamed to make sure there was no contaminates. thank you.[/QUOTE

Watch your oil pressure gauge. Sounds like your high pressure oil rail o-rings are leaking by. The oil pressure should jump right up as soon as you crank the engine. If it takes 30 seconds for it to start, then it's probably got no oil pressure for 30 seconds. It's got to fill the rail with oil before it'll open the injectors. So monitor the gauge at engine crank. When the oil is cold it's heavier- hence the reason it starts cold. When it's at operating temp the oil is running right out the blown o-rings like water and can't pressurize to open the injectors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

The three fuses, or two, depending on model year, on top of the battery, control the ECM, IDM, and Trans ECM. Usually when they get corrosion in the connectors they'll run rough, smoke alot, and set a check engine light. If it's an oil pressure problem like I stated previously, then there will be no check engine light, and only the symptoms you stated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Jervais in Antigua and Barbuda said: 2003 International 4300 DT466 seems to have power problems. Very poor acceleration, already changed the fuel filter, just replaced a damaged oil pump, any suggestions?

How's your turbo working?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

tommycompton in La Place, Louisiana said: hy i have a 2005 dt466 with no start.i do know it is fuel problem can enybody help

How do you know it's a fuel problem? Sounds like a high pressure oil pump is more likely.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jervais in Antigua and Barbuda

68 months ago

No problems with the turbo

68 months ago

Jervais in Antigua and Barbuda said: 2003 International 4300 DT466 seems to have power problems. Very poor acceleration, already changed the fuel filter, just replaced a damaged oil pump, any suggestions?

Any engine codes? CEL Lamp on?

dannyschofield@att.net in Stockbridge, Georgia

67 months ago

jdharris68@comcast.net in Upper Marlboro, Maryland said: Yes. That would be my best guess just as everybody else. If all has already been checked out then the next logical would be the fuel. Always .... back to the basics; fuel, oxygen, ignition, combustion. The four necessary componets for engine power. Also, you might want to check the filters and the electrical harness lines to the fuel injectors. They might get hot and fail to deliver the proper voltage. You can also contact the National Ford Dealer Ship by calling the 1-800 number listed on their web site. I found them to be very helpful.

try road speed sensor int was having problems

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

broke truck in Marietta, Georgia said: i have a 2007 international 4300, 466dt it only starts with starting fluid and now i put it i drive and it dies. what the hell! any ideals??

Your injectors can't open and fire fuel without proper oil pressure, I would check for an under the valve cover leak. The oil rail o'rings where the rail seals to the injectors is notorious for leaks. The truck will start with starting fluid and then have enough oil pressure to keep running, until you put it in drive and the rpm slow down, then stall. Start over again.

lpdauto in El Monte, California

67 months ago

I'm dealing with similiar issues on my 05 International 4300 466dt. We were having intermittent starting issues, we brought the truck to a diesal mechanic who said it was a fuel issue, we changed the fuel lines, got the tank cleaned out. Racked up a huge bill and ended back at square one. Now the mechanic is saying there is an oil pressure problem and suggested that the oil pump be replaced.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rudy in Van Buren, Arkansas

67 months ago

I have an 05' 4300 dt466. the past couple of weeks it seemed like it was losing power on hills. yestrday i drove it and as i pulled away from stoplight it was like it went into a nuetral mode the rpms didnt decrease i just coasted it blew out some whitish smoke. i drove it a quarter more same thing so i started to take to local dealer. got on interstate same loss of power cept this time it backfired. i pulld over checkd everything. it ok. it drove normally till i got to dealer. they put it on computer. it reports short wiring/injector. they said an injector was bad. said it was stuck open. they replaced it. this morning when i drive it it drives good till im about 30mins into my job and it does same thing. its as if it goes into a nuetral state which when it does it blows out the white/blue smoke and coasts for about 2secs then it catches and drives i can drive it for bit more then again itll do the same thing blow smoke and sometimes do little backfires. they told me at the dealer if the injector didnt fix it theyd have to get into the harness and see if there is a short somewhere. im still driving it as dealer is closed on weekend. it has plenty of power when its not doing this. any ideas on what it may be? my friend mechanic is going to check all the connections for me right now for corrosion and such just to make sure things are ok with that. but anyone have an idea on what this could be? thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

DocHoliday3406 in Forest, Virginia

67 months ago

Hello Are these codes active or old fault codes? If the ECM gives out a lot of radem code or unknown codes it in my case most of the time the ECM has died. Try and start your engine and see if the tac. moves. I do this on electronic engines shoot them with starting fluid and watch the tac. If it doesnt move it suggest the engine position sensor is not sendint a signal to to the Ecm and will not start. All eletronit diesel engined has to have a stop & start ref. Check yorc connection at the engine position sensor and the plug asy at the Ecm, & where the plug asy. goes into the side of the valve cover. Keep in mind DT/466 have (2TWO) different colored engine position sensors. Dont install the wrong one. Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jervais in Saint John's, Antigua and Barbuda

67 months ago

Also could someone tell me where i can find the ICP sensor?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jeremy in Webster, New York

67 months ago

Jervais in Saint John's, Antigua and Barbuda said: Also could someone tell me where i can find the ICP sensor?

Under the valve cover, in the oil rail, between #5 and #6 injectors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Dan Titus in Clementon, New Jersey

66 months ago

I have 2002 International 4300. My temp controls don't work. I was told it was the blower resistor. I don't want to though money at it unless I need to. Can someone shed some light on this for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

JUVILO in AURORA, Colorado

66 months ago

I JUST GOT A 2005 DT 466 225HP INTERNATIONAL...DROVE FROM CALIFORNIA TO DENVER VERY GOOD. JUST LAST WEEK AFTER I TRAMSFER MY LIFT GATE FROM MY OLD TRUCK WENT TO PUT FUEL AND THEM WENT I START THE TRUCK MOVE AND THEM SHUT DOWN. WAIT FOR COUPLE SECONDS AND THEM THE ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON. SO AFTER A FEW MORE MINUTES START THE TRUCK AND THE ENGINE LIGHT WENT OFF( IS BEEN DOING THIS FOR THE LAST WEEK ON AND OFF)IN THE MORNINGS IT ALLWAY SHOW AND THEM I GESS WARM UP AND IT GOES OFF...( WENT DRIVING TIME I CAN FEEL SOMETIMES LIKE THE ENGINE GOT MORE POWER AND THEM BACK FIRE LIKE BLACK SMOKE TOOK THE TRUCK TO MY MECHANIC AND THEM PUT IT ON THE COMPUTER AND IT SHOW THIS: INJECTOR #1 OPEN.CIRCUT.OR.SHORTED,SECOND LINE INJECTOR PRESSURE OPEN.CIRCUT.OR.SHORTED ...I WILL REALLY BE GREATFULL APRECCIATED IF SOME ONE CAN HELP ME WITH THIS..SINCERELY JUAN MY E-MAIL IS JUVILO2002@AOL.COM P.S SO MY MECHANIC WANT TO CHANGE THE #1 INJECTOR..ANY SUGESTIONS...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Nolan Long in Denver, Colorado

65 months ago

I have a 2003 DT466 it needs a turbo/Is there a rebuild kit for the old turbo?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Roscoe, Illinois

64 months ago

Matt in Appleton, Wisconsin said: Just left the shop with my '03 4300 DT-466. Had the fuel pump replaced... mechanic claims that the fuel tank is rusting heavily on the inside. Cleaned the strainer above the fuel filter to find packed with rust. Says the new fuel is causing the problem...He also said International is well aware that these fuel tanks rust out. That's upsetting that no one will notify the consumer. Anyone know where i can get a cheap replacement tank?

Did you find a resolution to the rust problem? I am having the same issues.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Gentlemen, finally got my truck going, replaced a couple of sensors but it seems the no start was being caused by the fuel return check valve. It is suppose to open when there is a certain amount of pressure to send the fuel back to the tank but it was stuck open so no pressure for the injectors. I'm told even when its just going bad, as long as the injector pressure is affected, this can cause many problems. The most upsetting thing was the part only cost about $30.00 and to add to that i haven't even used the new one yet. Cleaned the old one and seems to be working fine for now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

Buy the pound in Monroe Township, New Jersey

64 months ago

Anyone have an. idea how to aim the headlights on an 05' 4300

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

mike in Warrenton, Virginia

63 months ago

can you tell me the location of that chk valve thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Its at the back of the fuel and oil rail (think thats what its called). the best way to access it is to remove the black cover inside the cab just infront of the gear stick. Its bolted down, you will have to pull back the factory carpet to get it. You will see the return hose running downwards from it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

If you can though, reach behind the fue/oil rail and feel for the return hose, it will be secured by a plastic clip. The check valve is about 2.5" sticking out of the rail. You won't be able to see it from the front though.

Send me a number to call if you need to. wmsanu@live.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MikeTireman in Richmond, Virginia

63 months ago

I HAVE A 99' 4700 SERIES INTERNATIONAL DT 466 E (190 HP) first off when i start my truck up to let it run and let idle for about 15 minutes before taken off i have no power but if i turn it off and start it back up it has plenty of power what could this be. I replaced CP sensor and this is a Brand new motor. I also recently had this happen I will be driving down the road and the starter will engage and stop then later engage again it will do it randomly out the blu. anyone have this problems before

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

bnttowing in Vista, California

62 months ago

JUVILO in AURORA, Colorado said: I JUST GOT A 2005 DT 466 225HP INTERNATIONAL...DROVE FROM CALIFORNIA TO DENVER VERY GOOD. JUST LAST WEEK AFTER I TRAMSFER MY LIFT GATE FROM MY OLD TRUCK WENT TO PUT FUEL AND THEM WENT I START THE TRUCK MOVE AND THEM SHUT DOWN. WAIT FOR COUPLE SECONDS AND THEM THE ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON. SO AFTER A FEW MORE MINUTES START THE TRUCK AND THE ENGINE LIGHT WENT OFF( IS BEEN DOING THIS FOR THE LAST WEEK ON AND OFF)IN THE MORNINGS IT ALLWAY SHOW AND THEM I GESS WARM UP AND IT GOES OFF...( WENT DRIVING TIME I CAN FEEL SOMETIMES LIKE THE ENGINE GOT MORE POWER AND THEM BACK FIRE LIKE BLACK SMOKE TOOK THE TRUCK TO MY MECHANIC AND THEM PUT IT ON THE COMPUTER AND IT SHOW THIS: INJECTOR #1 OPEN.CIRCUT.OR.SHORTED,SECOND LINE INJECTOR PRESSURE OPEN.CIRCUT.OR.SHORTED ...I WILL REALLY BE GREATFULL APRECCIATED IF SOME ONE CAN HELP ME WITH THIS..SINCERELY JUAN MY E-MAIL IS JUVILO2002@AOL.COM P.S SO MY MECHANIC WANT TO CHANGE THE #1 INJECTOR..ANY SUGESTIONS...

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AND MY 2005 INTER. 4300 CAN YOU TELL ME IF YOU FIX IT AND WAT WAS WRONG MY NAME IS TOMAS AND MY Email IS tomas_davalos@sbcglobal.net TANKS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

kn2003 in Farmingdale, New York

61 months ago

HAVE A 2002 INTERNATIONAL 4300 SERIES, I'M LOSING AROUND 3-4 QUART MOTOR OIL EVERY 400 MILES,TRUCK HAS NO OIL LEAKS AND IS NOT SMOKING AND ITS NOT PASSING OIL THROUGH THE TURBO. I WAS TOLD IT COULD BE INJECTOR SEALS, SO I REPLACE SEALS
THE PROBLEM IS STILL OCCURRING!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Minneapolis, Minnesota

61 months ago

Troubleshooting headlights on a 2005 international 4300
high beams work but no power to wireing at lights unable to locate any kind of headlight relay......anyone?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (166) / No (45) Reply - Report abuse

helicycle 37 in Miami, Florida

61 months ago

I star the eng but i can't acelarate the engine, my acelerator is electronic, an d I have a eng light on the panel turn on when I press the acelerator.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.