Are diesel mechanic job opportunities growing or declining?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most diesel mechanic opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Chino Hills, California

75 months ago

Host said: Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most diesel mechanic opportunities?

Hmmm...because of Diesel prices, a lot of the owner operators (some owns more than one truck) have basically tried to look for another job since they can't get the type of "profit" or income that they were used to getting. So, I"m assuming this would have a great impact on the need for diesel mechanics...not to mention that there are a lot of hauling companies that has their stocks going down tremendously resulting to less work and need for diesel mechanics. But as soon as the economy picks up (when is the question) it will be a booming industry again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Nathan Calzada in Houston, Texas

62 months ago

I am seeking well-qualified diesel mechanics with electrical a plus in Houston, Texas to operate on mini-buses, motorcoaches, and limousines. I will compensate well. Must have experience, own reliable transportation, and tools. Preferably email me at nathanc@eschou.com. If you are not experienced or do not meet all of the above requirements, please do not contact me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Will in Phoenix, Arizona

59 months ago

I'm a diesel mechanic running my own mobile service and the jobs have all but gone away here in the southwest. I used to have so many owner operators and construction calls that I had to subcontract work out. Now I'm lucky if I get a full week's worth of work. It's bound to pick up once the economy recovers but from they're saying, it could be over a year or more before it gets back to full swing. What are we supposed to do in the mean time, when we have families to feed and bills to pay. I will probably have to take a lesser paying job working for a company until things pick up again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jonathan@iempcon.com in Canton, Ohio

46 months ago

I am looking for highly skilled heavy duty and diesel mechanics. Candidates must have minimum 4 years experience and be willing to relocate. Fantastic compensation and benefits package.
Please send resume to jonathan@iempcon.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Marc in Arvada, Colorado

44 months ago

Greetings,

I run the maintenance shop for a construction and drilling company in Arvada Colorado. Although I cannot speak for the entire diesel industry, I do have a need for at least one mechanic, and I am disgusted with the responses I have been getting.

There are some people out there that just don't understand how the folks at the trade school lied to them. Experience pays, and your student loans are no reason for me to pay you $35.00 an hour.

If you want a job than can be a career, you only need to work. The quick cash thought process is why so many people are on un-employment. We are an employee owned company, and offer year round work. Wages reflect experience, attitude, and work ethic more than time in service.

If you want a job with a company that you can retire from years from now, and you want to work your way into an invaluable position with earnings that reflect that value, feel free to contact me at marc.slover@yenter.com
Thanks and good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Interstate Companies in Minneapolis, Minnesota

36 months ago

Hello,

I work for Interstate Companies and we employ over 600 Diesel Technicians/Mechanics. I would say the career field is not growing very fast. The Department of Labor states that they expect Diesel Technicians to grow by 6% from 2008 to 2018. The main reason is because the engines that being built are really durable and reliable causing for less maintanence being needed. However the job opportunites are available and speaking from an employer standpoint, are hard to fill. According to the Department of Labor, there are currently 263,000 Diesel Technicians in the United States and that is spread out across 50 states.

A technician that is experienced and has an education should have no problem finding employment as long as they are located by larger cities.

The states that we employee the most technicians are in Gillette, WY and in North Dakota where we have 5 branches.

Interstate Companies are located in 9 states and have 25 branches. If you are interested in our company please submit a resume to careers@istate.com or careers@istatetruck.com

Please visit our websites

www.istate.com

www.istatetruck.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

johnrose1028@yahoo.com in Pago Pago, American Samoa

23 months ago

I worked as a Mechanic Gas and mainly Diesel for over 45 Years with several Licenses and Installed Cat.Cummins Diesel Generators all over the Island.I,m 71 years old but every one thinks i,m a lot younger!I,m desperatly searching for a job so i can support my Family with 5 young Boys because here in America Samoa we have 40% Unemployment and the Company i worked for was closed down by the Bank!!If you have a Job please contact me.Thank you regards John W Rose

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mrkeith in NEWARK, New Jersey

19 months ago

Guys its plenty of jobs over here in the NJ and the NY area. I will actually be going to school so i can get my ASE certification and Im pretty sure I will not have a problem at all finding a job when im done with school. Alot of employers do ask for some kind of experience which is understandable. You dont want some guy off the street to come into your shop and put a truck through a wall. Thats why i have no problem starting from the bottom and working my way up. It wont take me long to catch on i do have some kind of mechanical aptitude. The jobs over here pay ranges start from $15ph and upwards of $30ph from my research. And companies are hiring like crazy over here. Just check CL, and look under the skilled trade/craft section and you'll see. But the bulk of the money is on your own. Thats what separates the big boys from the lil guys. Finding those O/O's that needs work to be done on a regular basis is where the money is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.