severed after only weeks on the job

Comments (3)

Out of a job in Crown Point, Indiana

68 months ago

I was let go from a non profit after seven weeks of work. Reason stated: I was not "the right fit for them." They claimed it had nothing to do with job performance. I have a track record in producing results in major gift work, and the job was 90 percent major gifts/planned giving.

Has anyone noticed a coldness or fickle feeling on the part of their new employer these days that has caused them to be let go without a good explanation? I think the development field is being led by people who are uncaring these days. Maybe it's just me! Left a job to take this position and now I'm out on the street, paying big bucks for COBRA and on unemployment!

Chris in Malden, Massachusetts

65 months ago

Non-profits can be very political and resistant to change. I have working in Fortune 100 and non-profits and feel that NGOs can be more difficult than commercial. Lots of drama. There tends to be a lot of old blood and not enough new. Unfortunately, it's an emotional industry and not an empirically driven one.

Hang in in there and good luck.

EO in Kingston, New York

30 months ago

I totally understand that same thing happened to me. Went to school got certified for a position found a job. Left a job thinking great I can utilize my certificate after 8 days of working I get a call and told they made an error in hiring me. I was over qualified for the position. Yea ok

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.