severed after only weeks on the job

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Out of a job in Crown Point, Indiana

60 months ago

I was let go from a non profit after seven weeks of work. Reason stated: I was not "the right fit for them." They claimed it had nothing to do with job performance. I have a track record in producing results in major gift work, and the job was 90 percent major gifts/planned giving.

Has anyone noticed a coldness or fickle feeling on the part of their new employer these days that has caused them to be let go without a good explanation? I think the development field is being led by people who are uncaring these days. Maybe it's just me! Left a job to take this position and now I'm out on the street, paying big bucks for COBRA and on unemployment!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Malden, Massachusetts

58 months ago

Non-profits can be very political and resistant to change. I have working in Fortune 100 and non-profits and feel that NGOs can be more difficult than commercial. Lots of drama. There tends to be a lot of old blood and not enough new. Unfortunately, it's an emotional industry and not an empirically driven one.

Hang in in there and good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

EO in Kingston, New York

22 months ago

I totally understand that same thing happened to me. Went to school got certified for a position found a job. Left a job thinking great I can utilize my certificate after 8 days of working I get a call and told they made an error in hiring me. I was over qualified for the position. Yea ok

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.