Top director of finance skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every director of finance must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your director of finance expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Crossville, Tennessee

71 months ago

If applying for a financial position with state and local governments, I suggest the applicant be knowledgeable of the requirements for audits of grants and contracts received from federal and state governments. Also, knowledge of applicable OMB Circulars (as I recall, A-87 and A-122 and for Single Audits: A-133).

My recommendation is made because federal and state awards to counties would constitute a significant percentage of county income, and that income is required to be audited.

I hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Crossville, Tennessee

71 months ago

Better make that A-102. A-122 sets forth the cost principles for nonprofit recipients of federal awards. I believe A-102 is for state and local governments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mahct in Enfield, Connecticut

69 months ago

For Municipal Finance an accounting background is needed and depending on the state in which you apply for employment a knowledge of the general laws of the state in which you work. A-133 is federal single audit for communities who recieve over $500,000/year but many small communities do not meet this threshold. Study the GASB pronuoncements as they have been in a constant change of flux in the last 10 years. All communities now need to have audits performed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bryan Sonnenberg in Mississauga, Ontario

52 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every director of finance must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your director of finance expertise?

In order to "excel" at the director level, I believe the following are required (in order of importance):

1. Relationship Building Skills

- too many Finance professionals fail to integrate with their peers and thus miss out on what's really going on in the business. Active listening skills, sensing the question behind the question, appreciation for the importance of CRM are some (but not all) key elements to internalize...

2. The "Eye" For Talent

- failure to properly identify and retain the talent necessary to support your efforts robs you of your time to attend to item 1

3. Technical Competence

- vital, but simply gets you to the dance. Without the other two items listed above, you will be marginalized and ultimately fail at the director level.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ava Goodwin in Berkeley, California

34 months ago

Hello there,

I wanted to share this resource that has helped me move forward in the finance industry. This job board has hundreds of opportunities with quality names such as Deloitte.

Here is a link: on.fb.me/uu3wpB. Hope this helps you!

Best,
Ava

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.