What are typical director of internal audit salaries?

Comments (4)

Host

Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Ernest A. Gomez Consulting Services Corp in Chicago, Illinois

88 months ago

Hey the range is really up to the company and the industry.

At a Big Four (pile of Sh@#-type job); expect them to pay director-level salaries in the range of 100-145 depending on location and book of biz.

At a manufac. company, expect them to call you out if you do not have obvious manufac. experience - they think it is sooo specialized and you NEED to have it. In reality, it is the easiest type of IA and it all moves in the same manner - a college kid could lead audits, maybe not well but he could. Salary: about 80-110 depending on revenues; think 500 million about a 100k.

At Fin. Services: DIr. get about 120+; but you have to come in with a ton of derivatives experience and full-out Fas 133 accounting. For banks, just being a VP is NOT enough. Bank VPs often manage a chair, a desk and a computer.

Good skills to have for all: the CIa; does not mean you get it - just that you got it.

CPA - always good for putting people at meetings to sleep and to solve the issues the Controller and CFO have screwed the pooch on.

PMP - the best to have, bcuz your life is managing projects and people to fuition.

CFSA - good if you are in a bank and you do not have a CIA; but then, if you work in a bank and have done audits - you could use the historical work papers to benchmark. So, you really do not need a cert.

ACL is good, as is excel expertise - and I mean expertise.

This was written by me: a guy that has a Top 20 MBA, has worked for 100 Billion Asset bank in Ops Risk teaching the IA peeps how to do their jobs and consulted for Fortune Top 50, and took a 14 Bil co. to REIT public leading Sox. That is my reference.

John Schmitt in Tinley Park, Illinois

55 months ago

Ernest A. Gomez Consulting Services Corp in Chicago, Illinois said: Hey the range is really up to the company and the industry.

At a Big Four (pile of Sh@#-type job); expect them to pay director-level salaries in the range of 100-145 depending on location and book of biz.

At a manufac. company, expect them to call you out if you do not have obvious manufac. experience - they think it is sooo specialized and you NEED to have it. In reality, it is the easiest type of IA and it all moves in the same manner - a college kid could lead audits, maybe not well but he could. Salary: about 80-110 depending on revenues; think 500 million about a 100k.

At Fin. Services: DIr. get about 120+; but you have to come in with a ton of derivatives experience and full-out Fas 133 accounting. For banks, just being a VP is NOT enough. Bank VPs often manage a chair, a desk and a computer.

Good skills to have for all: the CIa; does not mean you get it - just that you got it.

CPA - always good for putting people at meetings to sleep and to solve the issues the Controller and CFO have screwed the pooch on.

PMP - the best to have, bcuz your life is managing projects and people to fuition.

CFSA - good if you are in a bank and you do not have a CIA; but then, if you work in a bank and have done audits - you could use the historical work papers to benchmark. So, you really do not need a cert.

ACL is good, as is excel expertise - and I mean expertise.

This was written by me: a guy that has a Top 20 MBA, has worked for 100 Billion Asset bank in Ops Risk teaching the IA peeps how to do their jobs and consulted for Fortune Top 50, and took a 14 Bil co. to REIT public leading Sox. That is my reference.

You obviously have 0 clue what your talking about because the director of internal audit at the s&p 500 company i work for earns close to 400,000 dollars salary plus bonus. The salaries for this position vary greatly depending on the size of the company.

Gomez in Leesburg, Virginia

48 months ago

I never wrote the preceeding commentary. Not sure who did or how they did it. But, it is not me.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.