Just got my class a cdl and now I need experiance.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (37)

TERRANCE WARNER in Austin, Texas

68 months ago

WELL MY COMMENT IS.IS IT POSSIBLE FOR ME TO GET THE EXPERIANCE I NEED WITHOUT THE 12 YEAR OLD PAST BEING HELD OVER MY HEAD.I'VE HAD MY CDL SINCE 11/09/2006 AND STILL HAVEN'T FOUND WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR BECAUSE OF THAT I GUESS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

tigger in River Rouge, Michigan

65 months ago

jim gardner in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: i jim gardner i have been driving for over 20 years,i have no accidents and no dui's.i am looking for a local driving job.i have otr driving expeience.i hope someone will consider me for this postion.if you have any questions do not hesitate to call me at ,or email me at geraldinegardner@msn.com.thank you jim gardner.

Hi Jim,

You could try Waste Management.com I live in Michigan and I've seen that they are hiring in every state, just about.
Not sure what license you hold but you only need a CDL B or they even have training for drivers w/no CDL.
Good Luck to You!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dan whitehead in Goodlettsville, Tennessee

65 months ago

just finished my refresher course on a driving school CDL but i can't find a job,they are asking for at least 3 to 6 mos. experience (most recently) unfotunately i don't have it,my last OTR was 10 yrs ago.i need help and advise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (66) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Dameon Williams in Baltimore, Maryland

64 months ago

I believe their needs to be union for new cdl driver for when thet graduate the union helps them gets jobs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

brendasmith2@peoplepc.com in Sterling, Oklahoma

62 months ago

Dameon Williams in Baltimore, Maryland said: I believe their needs to be union for new cdl driver for when thet graduate the union helps them gets jobs

I agree there needs to be a union for new drivers, I just graduated from academy and having problems finding a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Felix Moyet in Worcester, Massachusetts

56 months ago

Hi,I have my cdl A about 4 years ago.I have tankers,passengers and school bus endorsement.I have a clean driving record.I drive a tractor trailer before but just for short time.I am a responsible and hard worker person looking for an opportunity to get a refresh course and more experience.Does anybody out there can help me? Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

ritzcookie in Flowery Branch, Georgia

54 months ago

Seems to be a pandemic of epic proportions. I too fell into the trap. Schools say they will hook you up with a "local" driving job if you just complete our class a or b program..."guaranteed job placement." One year plus with no help or even a encouraging word from the school. Have taken 2 physicals to keep them recent, pulled over 10 mvr reports at my cost, 2 refresher courses at $600 a pop. Driver education is a scam run-a-muck in these desperate times, praying on those of us hoping for a decent paying job to feed our family. After spending around $5200 on all my training and related costs of getting my class A I found out none of the training qualifies for an education related tax break! If I'd have went to college (a GOOD idea) instead I would have paid around $2000 less and would be getting back over $1500 of it on tax return! Return on MY investment?...zilch! I think I'd recommend going class B if I were doing it over, and just HAD to get my CDL. I could have been starting clinicals in a bachelor's program (nursing science) right along side my wife, should have taken her advice. Her degree program returns near 100% cost being such a high demand sector of the workforce, she got a tax return like a single mom of five :-)~! After all of this, all I can seem to find is job listings requiring previous driving experience (minimum 1 to 3 years tractor trailer experience)...ya don't say! On a good day it's infuriating at best, watching all those foodservice and freight line guys go zipping by in their rigs, making the bucks...and I've got the same thing they have in my pocket. 5K for something that won't pay the bills or buy the meals...should have invested the money in some nice soft Charmin, would have made a better butt wiper than my CDL has...bitter? maybe a little. :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MrTalmadgeD in Franklin, Virginia

53 months ago

I have my CDL-A HazMat, Double/Triple, Tanker, and I have my permit for S&P, but I only have two months experience. Every company that I have applied to has told they could not hire me for lack of experience or that I have not driven a tractor trailer in over a year. I realize that I need to get into some of kind of a refresher course for the necessary training that will allow me an opportunity to get back into driving tractor trailers again. I realize that trucking business has suffered some big cutback;therefore, if you have little or no experience then you are like not to get hire at this time. No need in stressing about things that are beyond my control at this time. You can not get into the trucking business or trucking career, if no one will allow you an opportunity to gain the required experience!Living in Suffolk, Va. and surrounding areas I can not get any company to hire. I would take a job driving in the yard or something just to get experience of driving and backing again in the tractor trailer. Sincerely, Talmadge L. Darden

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

thomas chmielewski in Prospect, Connecticut

53 months ago

hey,ive run into the same problems as everyone else. got my cdla with hazmat and tanker endorsed.i have applied to over 200 companies and only a hand full of interviews.what really sucks is i thought the job placement guy from the school would help me find a job, but all he did was give me a bunch of sheets with possible employers.it seems like if you dont have experience,they wont hire you, so how can i get experience if they dont hire me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dan in Goodlettsville, Tennessee

52 months ago

im on the same problem with you, now the placement guy is brigning me to court for not paying the 10,0000 dollars i made to get my cdl but i never get a driving job bec they require experienced driver which i do not have and now im still jobless and that guy is brigning me to court.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

cutep in River Rouge, Michigan

52 months ago

You should consider a big company like Swift, CR England, CRST or Werner. These are the one's that hire inexperience drivers and they also have a training program. Good luck to you with your search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

MrTalmadgeD in Franklin, Virginia

52 months ago

Economics dictate that most trucking companies will use more experience drivers or partner up drivers instead of using unexperience drivers because the high insurance that is required on unexperience drivers. That is one of the dynamics of the trucking industry is to cut cost;furthermore,the goods and services are not great demand nationwide. Once, the economy finally picks back up then more trucking jobs will open up again. Until, just struggling to make a living with anything available, but I hope that everyone is able to get back into their trucking career to gain experience and to make a decent living as well!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

MrTalmadgeD in Franklin, Virginia

52 months ago

I have applied those companies. I believe that it is more about cost of insurance and the slow economic growth within the United States are the driving factors with trucking companies hiring unexperience drivers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

joe smoe in New Britain, Connecticut

52 months ago

derrick in Statesboro, Georgia said: hi i graduated from my truck driven class in june 2009 and still have'nt found a job just because i forgot to go to court and my license got suspended, I have no crimnal background or nothing . I have my license now and they will be vaild for a year march the 16 2010 but i really need a job with my 5th kid on the way.So if any one could give me some advice on what to do i would love to take some. thanks and you may email me at deveret1@ega.edu

put the ding dong way and stop making babies. no fault of ur own that u cant support all the kids. get a job and get settled first

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

joe smoe in New Britain, Connecticut

52 months ago

thomas chmielewski in Prospect, Connecticut said: hey,ive run into the same problems as everyone else. got my cdla with hazmat and tanker endorsed.i have applied to over 200 companies and only a hand full of interviews.what really sucks is i thought the job placement guy from the school would help me find a job, but all he did was give me a bunch of sheets with possible employers.it seems like if you dont have experience,they wont hire you, so how can i get experience if they dont hire me?

Did you go to NETTS or ALL-State?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Felix Moyet in Worcester, Massachusetts

52 months ago

Felix Moyet in Worcester, Massachusetts said: Hi,I have my cdl A about 4 years ago.I have tankers,passengers and school bus endorsement.I have a clean driving record.I drive a tractor trailer before but just for short time.I am a responsible and hard worker person looking for an opportunity to get a refresh course and more experience.Does anybody out there can help me? Thank you.

I'm willing to star working as a driver helper for free...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

martin in Chicago, Illinois

48 months ago

tigger in River Rouge, Michigan said: Hi Jim,

You could try Waste Management.com I live in Michigan and I've seen that they are hiring in every state, just about.
Not sure what license you hold but you only need a CDL B or they even have training for drivers w/no CDL.
Good Luck to You!

yes i will like this job because i just gat out of school in need a good job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

martin in Chicago, Illinois

48 months ago

dan whitehead in Goodlettsville, Tennessee said: just finished my refresher course on a driving school CDL but i can't find a job,they are asking for at least 3 to 6 mos. experience (most recently) unfotunately i don't have it,my last OTR was 10 yrs ago.i need help and advise.

yes i did just finised my refresher course but still can find a good job pleces help me out

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

martin in Chicago, Illinois

48 months ago

needa good job pleces help me out with one im a hard worker in need to go to work gat my class a linces

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

patricpatty@yahoo.com in Alpharetta, Georgia

47 months ago

I am an owner Operator looking for a Driver with the following qualification.

Must be 23 age or older, No more than one moving violation within the last 12 months, no more than three moving violations in the past three years,no avoidable accident within the last past 12 months,no avoidable major vehiclar accident in the past three years,no DUI convictions with the last 10 years, no reckless driving within convictions within the last three years, no speeding violations 15 or more over the limit, no erratic lane changes, no running red lights or following too close violation within the last three years, must have a class a commerical driver license.

Motor Vehicle Report (MVR) will be requested from a D.A.C Service on each applicant's driving history for the past three years as part of processing pre-qualifying packet should we need your services.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Collierauto

47 months ago

How many days on. How many days off do you offer dental & medical insurance,do you take out taxes or is it 1099 ,do you have workmanship comp. Thanks

patricpatty@yahoo.com in Alpharetta, Georgia said: I am an owner Operator looking for a Driver with the following qualification.

Must be 23 age or older, No more than one moving violation within the last 12 months, no more than three moving violations in the past three years,no avoidable accident within the last past 12 months,no avoidable major vehiclar accident in the past three years,no DUI convictions with the last 10 years, no reckless driving within convictions within the last three years, no speeding violations 15 or more over the limit, no erratic lane changes, no running red lights or following too close violation within the last three years, must have a class a commerical driver license.

Motor Vehicle Report (MVR) will be requested from a D.A.C Service on each applicant's driving history for the past three years as part of processing pre-qualifying packet should we need your services.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

patricpatty@yahoo.com in Alpharetta, Georgia

47 months ago

HI,

Please email me at patricpatty@yahoo. So, I can give you my phone number so we can discuss further.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lionhart222 in Hazlet, New Jersey

47 months ago

martin in Chicago, Illinois said: yes i did just finised my refresher course but still can find a good job pleces help me out

Try JB Hunt they have been advertising for the last month about hiring inexperienced drivers will train at least in Jersey they are. It can't hurt to check them out, also FFE trucking is hiring inexperienced/willing to train. I have seen their postings on Simplyhired.com - Indeed.com - Careerbuilder.com - Snagajob.com - JobsinLogistics.com just to name a few. As of today they are still posting. I hope this helps Good Luck to you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

driverorl@hotmail.com in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

41 months ago

Kalani v said: Hi everyone. I just obtained a class a Cdl, and I'm looking for a job. It's been hard to find one because I had a DUI 4 1/2 years ago. Can anyone tell me what companies I could try. I live in Georgia. Thanks

hi i am in the same position too got a dui 4 to 5 years ago still no driving but we are almost close to land on one as the the five coming to past florida

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lutherhutchens in Bristol, Tennessee

39 months ago

i have had my cdls since october of2009 have been on the road most of the time since i was in an accident in march 2011 the company i was with suspended til the accident was investigated, havent heard back from them. i got a ticket for following to close .i cant find anyone who will hire me now. Is there some kind of safety class ican go threw that will help me with other companies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

joe joe in Chicago, Illinois

38 months ago

I want to get my cdl but I'm afraid I won't. Find any work close to my house

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Truck Driver"s Wife in Omaha, Nebraska

35 months ago

joe smoe in New Britain, Connecticut said: put the ding dong way and stop making babies. no fault of ur own that u cant support all the kids. get a job and get settled first

Yeah, that was the first thing I thought of... You did not forget how to make babies!!!! Everyone does some not so great things sometimes, so hope you learn from that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

shannon in Cleveland, Ohio

35 months ago

ive had my license for a couple of years hard to find employment because of experience,no felony or dui no accidents within 3 years

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

shannon in Cleveland, Ohio

35 months ago

ive had my license for a couple of years hard to find employment because of experience,no felony or dui no accidents within 3 years

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dwhitey5 in Ft Mitchell, Kentucky

35 months ago

I am looking into getting my cdl a thru Prime Inc. Does anyone have any experience with this company. Pay scale, miles, hometime, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Robert in Irwin, Pennsylvania

33 months ago

dwhitey5 in Ft Mitchell, Kentucky said: I am looking into getting my cdl a thru Prime Inc. Does anyone have any experience with this company. Pay scale, miles, hometime, etc.
My instructor at all state career said they were not the best, but take what you can get. Youll be lucky if you can get any driving job. I cant find even one that will hire me because of my age. (im 18 years old.)

If any one knows ANY company that will hire an 18 year old with a CLEAN RECORD, Please reply back ill even work for minimum wage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MSphere in BONIFAY, Florida

33 months ago

Insurance co controls CDL industry and has over the last 30+ years... you ask why ... because of the large Corp take over of shipments with lowest pay per mile added to 1000's of low paid drivers willing to do it for nothing to get a pay check of 200- 300 a week just to get by.... keep in mind the (just to get by) = Gov perfection... of over taxation of each and every Co. still in business.. just saying...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Wiley Trucking in Capitol Heights, Maryland

33 months ago

Robert in Irwin, Pennsylvania said: My instructor at all state career said they were not the best, but take what you can get. Youll be lucky if you can get any driving job. I cant find even one that will hire me because of my age. (im 18 years old.)

If any one knows ANY company that will hire an 18 year old with a CLEAN RECORD, Please reply back ill even work for minimum wage.

What Part of PA do you live in and do you have doubles on your CDL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kaw12man in Washington, District of Columbia

31 months ago

martin in Chicago, Illinois said: needa good job pleces help me out with one im a hard worker in need to go to work gat my class a linces

You need to learn to spell first. DUMMY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MISTER PERFECT in Tucson, Arizona

29 months ago

kaw12man in Washington, District of Columbia said: You need to learn to spell first. DUMMY

We have the spell check police online. Guess we should all drop in line and follow his lead. He must NEVER make a mistake. What a perfect guy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

serious_e in Racine, Wisconsin

24 months ago

TERRANCE WARNER in Austin, Texas said: WELL MY COMMENT IS.IS IT POSSIBLE FOR ME TO GET THE EXPERIENCE I NEED WITHOUT THE 12 YEAR OLD PAST BEING HELD OVER MY HEAD.I'VE HAD MY CDL SINCE 11/09/2006 AND STILL HAVEN'T FOUND WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR BECAUSE OF THAT I GUESS.

I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL I GOT A FEW VIOLATIONS AND A SHAKY WORK HISTORY THAT HAS NOTING TO DO WITH TRUCK DRIVING AND NO ONE WONT EVEN LOOK AT ME, ITS NOT WHAT YOU BEEN THROUGH OR WHAT YOU KNOW ITS WHO YOU KNOW!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Royal Oak, Michigan

19 months ago

TERRANCE WARNER in Austin, Texas said: WELL MY COMMENT IS.IS IT POSSIBLE FOR ME TO GET THE EXPERIANCE I NEED WITHOUT THE 12 YEAR OLD PAST BEING HELD OVER MY HEAD.I'VE HAD MY CDL SINCE 11/09/2006 AND STILL HAVEN'T FOUND WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR BECAUSE OF THAT I GUESS.

The current DOT regulations only require that an application go back for 10 years. Anything past that period should not be held against you, that is unless you at some point volunteer the information. I would suggest using a driver recruiting company like Apex Recruiting, www.apexdrivers.com because they can help present you in a more positive way to the employer for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.