electrician trade schools in nyc

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (28)

NY Man

80 months ago

I am currently looking for schools that offer training to become an electrician, but am having trouble finding any in the NYC area. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any schools?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (523) / No (91) Reply - Report abuse

yazz in Staten Island, New York

78 months ago

I am currently looking for schools that offer training to become an electrician, but am having trouble finding any in the NYC area. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any schools?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (72) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

g.lisman in Flushing, New York

57 months ago

NY Man said: I am currently looking for schools that offer training to become an electrician, but am having trouble finding any in the NYC area. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any schools?

BERK TRADE AND BUSINESS SCHOOL IN L.I.C., YOU CAN ASK FOR GARY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

g.lisman in Flushing, New York

57 months ago

NY Man said: I am currently looking for schools that offer training to become an electrician, but am having trouble finding any in the NYC area. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any schools?

check out this school www.berktradeschool.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

uzilsr

55 months ago

BERK SUCKS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

HOLYSMOKES in Brooklyn, New York

54 months ago

APEX SUX BADLY, THEY CREATED NEW SKILLS TRADE BECAUSE THE SCHOOL ITSELF IS LACKING STUDENT ENROLLMENT CUS OF OTHER SCHOOLS, THEY HAVE DONE NOTHING FOR ME & MANY OF MY PEERS WHO GRADUATED, THOUGH MOST OF US GRADUATED IN THE TOP 5%, ONLY 2 STUDENTS WERE GIVEN JOBS AFTER GRADUATION & 1 OF THEM QUIT WITHIN WEEKS! 2 ALL THAT HAVE NO H.S./G.E.D. IN NY YOU CAN LOOK UP COOP TECH LOCATED ON E96 ST NEAR THE FDR! I AM CURRENTLY ON THE WAITING LIST, MY BROTHER WENT TO THE SCHOOL 2 DAYS A WEEK FOR A YEAR & IS NOW A WELDER IN THE UNION! THE SCHOOL HAS MANY TRADES, ELECTRICIAN, PLUMBING, CARPENTRY & MANY OTHERS... ONLY REQUIREMENT IS NO H.S./G.E.D. & BE OLDER THAN 21, UNLESS YOU ARE 16 THEY HAVE MORE AVAILABLE PROGRAMS 4 YOU (SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS I AM MISSING THE CAP LOCK BUTTON ON MY PC, KIDS! LOL)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

APEX $uX in Brooklyn, New York

52 months ago

Apex iz Flop...They are selling u a dream

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JurneeP in Bronx, New York

51 months ago

HOLYSMOKES in Brooklyn, New York said: APEX SUX BADLY, THEY CREATED NEW SKILLS TRADE BECAUSE THE SCHOOL ITSELF IS LACKING STUDENT ENROLLMENT CUS OF OTHER SCHOOLS, THEY HAVE DONE NOTHING FOR ME & MANY OF MY PEERS WHO GRADUATED, THOUGH MOST OF US GRADUATED IN THE TOP 5%, ONLY 2 STUDENTS WERE GIVEN JOBS AFTER GRADUATION & 1 OF THEM QUIT WITHIN WEEKS! 2 ALL THAT HAVE NO H.S./G.E.D. IN NY YOU CAN LOOK UP COOP TECH LOCATED ON E96 ST NEAR THE FDR! I AM CURRENTLY ON THE WAITING LIST, MY BROTHER WENT TO THE SCHOOL 2 DAYS A WEEK FOR A YEAR & IS NOW A WELDER IN THE UNION! THE SCHOOL HAS MANY TRADES, ELECTRICIAN, PLUMBING, CARPENTRY & MANY OTHERS... ONLY REQUIREMENT IS NO H.S./G.E.D. & BE OLDER THAN 21, UNLESS YOU ARE 16 THEY HAVE MORE AVAILABLE PROGRAMS 4 YOU (SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS I AM MISSING THE CAP LOCK BUTTON ON MY PC, KIDS! LOL)

Hey I wanted to know if u knew how long there waiting list is?? Cause ur so right about Apex and TCI also there r a bunch of ripoffs..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

buzzzlightyear in flushing, New York

51 months ago

Local 3 Elevator division is handing out applications on the 26 of April 2010

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dash in Oreana, Illinois

50 months ago

im in school gettimg my ged is there a trade school in chicago Il that will accept me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jack Simpson in Gloucester City, New Jersey

47 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jack Simpson in Cherry Hill, New Jersey

47 months ago

There is a directory of trade schools at www.ExpertHoustonElectrician.com but it might just be for the state of Texas. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

romanov in Woodhaven, New York

46 months ago

i go to laguardia college study electrical engineering, but some how the fedz stopped paying for my school cause lack of documents an dim tired of it..i wannna go to a good trading school for electrical...please any suggestion and not too high

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

solow46 in Miami, Florida

39 months ago

I used to teach electricity to the heating and air conditioning students at Berg trade school on Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn. The school was accredited and had to follow State set curriculum. I would start the 7-month program with approximately 38 student and after 2 weeks there was only 29 students left and only five graduated. From these five. I helped 3, not the school, get jobs with the HVAC companies. The other 2 found jobs on their own. These five individuals, one was a female, really wanted to learn, They took pride, had determination, and resolve to succeed. I am an HVAC veteran and I believe that learning fundamentals is the key. I produced a DVD that teaches the fundamentals of electrical schematics, the most important skill of the electrical trade. If you are serious about working in the electrically related industries check out this link www.createspace.com/290197 or email me at: solow46@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

g.lisman in Flushing, New York said: BERK TRADE AND BUSINESS SCHOOL IN L.I.C., YOU CAN ASK FOR GARY

I used to teach electricity to the heating and air conditioning students at Berg trade school on Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn. The school was accredited and had to follow State set curriculum. I would start the 7-month program with approximately 38 student and after 2 weeks there was only 29 students left and only five graduated. From these five. I helped 3, not the school, get jobs with the HVAC companies. The other 2 found jobs on their own. These five individuals, one was a female, really wanted to learn, They took pride, had determination, and resolve to succeed. I am an HVAC veteran and I believe that learning fundamentals is the key. I produced a DVD that teaches the fundamentals of electrical schematics, the most important skill of the electrical trade. If you are serious about working in the electrically related industries check out this link www.createspace.com/290197 or email me at: solow46@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

romanov in Woodhaven, New York said: i go to laguardia college study electrical engineering, but some how the fedz stopped paying for my school cause lack of documents an dim tired of it..i wannna go to a good trading school for electrical...please any suggestion and not too high

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

vickbxny in Bronx, New York

38 months ago

Thanks gals & guys you all have been very helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mari in Ridgewood, New York

34 months ago

i went on this site to get my son enroll in berk electrical program because he does little things on his own and they turn out good,without training he'll get nowhere,but after reading reading such negative things about the shool,i am really disapointed,boy where can a young man that doesnt really like academics go to get quality training in a trade today???????? or are trade schools only for germans,polish,mexicans,what about usa born young men?????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

rltomkinson in Charles Town, West Virginia

34 months ago

Mari, you don't say how old your son is, but many public school systems still have vocational schools in their school system. The big difference from when I was young is that then, EVERY high school had vocational programs. Now it is often one school for the entire county. Check with the school counselors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

I am currently attending BERK TRADE SCHOOL,if you can settle for the cheap tool bag, this is a very good school. My teacher is Mr.Dantzler
very good with the knowledge of electrician and hands on,then there is Mr.Rivera a licensed electrician and Mr.Owens an electrician w/ a highly recognized company.This school has my vote of confidence,by the way Gary is no longer there. Good-luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

j in Bronx, New York

30 months ago

Wish I Knew in Belleville, New Jersey said: Do not go to Berk. I went and graduated from their Electrical program and they do not follow their so-called curriculum and their teachers quit because of the way they are treated. It is cheaper than Apex but I have been told that Apex is a lot better. I just wish I knew that before I committed myself to Berk Trade and Business School in L.I.C. New York.

actually berk is a more hands on and student oriented school, apex is 70% theory and 30% hands on , with over crowded class rooms like a highschool. berk has lesser students for more one on one and 80% hands on 20% theory . .. though the theory is still practiced all year

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

j in Bronx, New York

30 months ago

j in Bronx, New York said: actually berk is a more hands on and student oriented school, apex is 70% theory and 30% hands on , with over crowded class rooms like a highschool. berk has lesser students for more one on one and 80% hands on 20% theory . .. though the theory is still practiced all year

btw the berk i am attending is on 33rd street and rawson , long island city ny

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

I am attending Berk Trade and so far so good.I graduate in February. No teachers left yet,so I don't know what dude is talking about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Torun, Poland

28 months ago

I'm not sure on NYC specifically, but there are a fair few courses here in Europe that you can achieve outside of a traditional trade school environment. Most of them fulful various City & Guilds requirements, such as www.tradequalified.co.uk/electrician-courses-and-electrical-training-pec2.html so perhaps there are some US variations of this?

Rick the Prick in Philippines

26 months ago

I have been reading the comments here. Seems that everyone thinks it is the Teachers responsibility to make the Student learn. I beg to differ with you. I taught at Berk Trade School from 1980 till 1994. I was nick named by the Students, "Rick the P---k" because I took no nonsence for anyone. Had hair down to my waist and an attitude that if you want to, you will. Had a class chant. . . HOO YAA!

Come on guys, learning is not the job of the Teacher. Learning is the job if the Student. The job of the Teacher is to make the information being presented crystal clear and to make it so interesting and fun that the Students are filled with "Self Motivation." If you are looking to learn something, does not matter what it is you want to learn, you have to turn yourself on before you start. If you really want to learn you must do what you must do to learn for as long as it takes.

The Teachers job is to present the information. Your job, as the Student, is to grasp that information. If you cannot grasp what has been presented, it is your job to ask for it to be presented again. In order for you to learn what you want to learn, you must understand the information that is being presented. If you don't understand it, Ask questions. That is what questions are for. If you ask a question and you still don't understand, ask the question again. The job of the Teacher is to present and answer your questions so that you understand crystal clear.

You have to take good notes. You have to study at home. You have to reference your daily notes and text book. You must push yourself to be the best you can be because this is your life that we are talking about here. Do not short change yourself by thinking that someone else is going to make you learn. No one can make you learn, only you can.

I am Rick Boutcher. . . Rick the P---k

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Electricity Simplified in Miami, Florida

26 months ago

Right on Rick, I must of have replace you after you left. What was your reason for leaving?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Alexbk39@gmail.com in New York, New York

20 months ago

mari in Ridgewood, New York said: i went on this site to get my son enroll in berk electrical program because he does little things on his own and they turn out good,without training he'll get nowhere,but after reading reading such negative things about the shool,i am really disapointed,boy where can a young man that doesnt really like academics go to get quality training in a trade today???????? or are trade schools only for germans,polish,mexicans,what about usa born young

Go Suck Donkey Balls!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

rltomkinson in Charles Town, West Virginia

20 months ago

Alexbk39@gmail.com in New York, New York said:

Have your son talk to the IBEW local. They provide their own training. Alternatively, or he can try talking to a few actual contractors and ask them what they recommend. The Berk school in your area may be okay. From the comments I have read it seems to be hit or miss. Some good, some not. But, as Rick the Prick stated above, it is up to the kid to learn the material. The teacher's job is to provide the material and help with understanding it. No one can force him to learn.

Also, in some areas, the contractors will hire young kids as laborers first then, if they work out, start paying for apprenticeship training for them.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.